Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Would You Discourage This? Overly Affectionate...

19mo DS and I go to a library storytime once a week. DS is not shy in this environment - he does not sit for storytime, he is up exploring the room and that is acceptable. I cannot get him to sit still with me longer than a minute at most. But his latest thing is hugging other mommies and trying to sit on their laps or wanting them to play peekaboo with him. Constantly.

There is one mom he likes in particular - I think he hugged her at least 5 or 6 times today. We are friendly and  she doesn't seem to mind so I let him, but when it gets excessive, I tell him, let XXX get some time with her own mommy or something like that. We often sit next t o each other so I just pick him up at that point. Today, he went literally across the room, hugged and sat on some other mommy's lap for like 3 minutes. We do not know this woman - she was very sweet but  I have to believe that some people don't like it or it makes them uncomfortable. There was another mom there today that we know a little bit too that he did the same thing too and she seemed not quite as comfortable about it (probably how I would be!)

I am glad that he is affectionate with others and not scared of strangers, but this seems excessive. At home, I usually have to ask him for hugs but he always gives them gladly. He VERY RARELY sits on my lap unless it is bedtime, but he wants me to pick him up a lot. It's strange b/c a lot of times  if I am with him and we see a family friend who wants to pick him up or hug him, he will get so shy and cry if they try to. I don't want his affection to make other people uncomfortable and honestly it hurts my feelings a little bit and embarrasses me (maybe other ppl think my DS doesn't like me or that I don't give him enough affection?). If this were your DC, would you discourage this kind of behavior and if so, how? I seriously can't keep him next to me during these classes, he is all about movement right now.  I didn't know if I should go walk across the room to him today and lead him away from the other mommy or what? Should I just let it go?

Re: Would You Discourage This? Overly Affectionate...

• I wouldn't think that you didn't give him attention if he came over to me or that he didn't like you, I'd view it as a personality thing.  I would, however, get a bit annoyed if he kept coming over to me as I would be there to be with DD, not somebody else's kid.  I do think that you're doing the right thing by going over to him and saying "this lady is playing with her daughter, lets go find somewhere else to play" or "come hug me instead."  I don't know how your story time is structured, but we go to a story time for younger kids and the moms are all moving around either interacting with the story or chasing their kids.  If your story time isn't like that, maybe you need to wait until he can pay better attention to go.
  • I would let it go a few times but stop him if it gets excessive or if someone seems annoyed.  We take a few classes and all the parents are good about other kids coming up to them, but if DD were targeting a certain person, I would stop it.  If I were you, I would just continue to lead him away from that person - I think that's all you can do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My DS is very affectionate.  He loves to give hugs and kisses to the moms and other kids at story time.  I only redirect him if they seem to be bothered by it. 

I love that he's so affectionate.  I think it means I must be doing something right.  Smile

imageimage

• I don't really have any advice but my DD is like this with men. We joke that she is a flirt and I'm not sure where it came from. Maybe because DH stayed home with her from 2 months-7 months? Anyway, DCP tells me she latches on to her husband when he gets home from work. And there was a dad sitting with his 5 year old daughter at the daycare place, as like a first visit so she wouldn't be scared, and my DD crawled right up on his lap and wanted to play. When he left she cried. I'm glad she's not scared of men but if she does it when I'm around, I usually pick her up and try to distract her. Only because it makes me uncomfortable I think. If we were at a story time, I wouldn't let her sit in other people's laps for this reason. Although I wouldn't mind if someone else's kid sat with me. She also rarely hugs me and only kisses occassionally when I ask. Yet she kisses books, her stuffed animals, the floor.
  • imagerobbie3982:

My DS is very affectionate.  He loves to give hugs and kisses to the moms and other kids at story time.  I only redirect him if they seem to be bothered by it. 

I love that he's so affectionate.  I think it means I must be doing something right.  Smile

Same here. We go to Gymboree classes and sometimes he will go over and want to be picked up by other parents or play with them (he went through a phase where that was all he wanted to do). I let it go for a little bit then go get him, or get him right away if they seem bothered. I agree with robbie - I think his affection for other people and his lack of separation anxiety is a good thing and I also think it means I must be doing something right!

• This is just me, but I would discourage it.  If I were one of those other moms, it would get old pretty fast.  I like kids and everything, but strange kids coming up to me and sitting on my lap would make me very uncomfortable.   Some of the other moms might not like it but act like they don't mind.  Maybe you can do something where you have him save his hugs until it's time to go (if he can understand that).  That way he at least leaves them alone during story time.  Also, then he only has time to give each person one hug. that would be much better than repeatedly visiting these strangers. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've had strange kids want to sit in my lap or be hugged, and it has never made me uncomfortable. I think you are doing right by trying to redirect him after a few times so that the parent can spend time with their child, but I don't see anything wrong with him being friendly.  

DD is really friendly and asks to be picked up or hugged by strangers often. She especially likes men, and we joke that she's a flirt already. I usually laugh it off and pick her up, but in an atmosphere like a toddler's story time I think it's a little different than random strangers in the store.

We go to the park often and she likes to stand near the other parents and talk to them. She's really social toward kids too, and as long as I'm very close by, I don't see a problem with it. 

• I wouldn't discourage it.  I think it's sweet.  If a child came and sat on my lap it wouldn't make me uncomfortable at all.  I think all you can do is just to try to read that mom's vibe and go from there.  I actually think it's quite funny and if I saw him doing that I would never think he didn't like you as his mom or you were doing something wrong.
  • My son is 2 and does the exact same thing. Every time we would go to his little gym class he would love on every mom there and most of the other little kids too. I don't take it personally, because he is just really friendly. I also think he is a little bit of a flirt. lol he is definitely a lover and not a fighter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"