2nd Trimester

Is it ok to eat foie gras?

I tried searching online but couldn't find a definite answer..  We're heading up to Quebec next week and I know foie gras is on the tasting menu at many restaurants.  Just wondering if it's safe to eat while pg??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is it ok to eat foie gras?

• I'd think it would be OK provided its cooked and the extra fatty doesn't disagree with you.  Other poultry livers aren't off-limits.

You can have my share, though Ick!

• Hmm that's a tough one. It's basically duck liver. I don't like it at all so I don't know much about how it's prepared.

If you don't care too much for it anyway, I'd just skip it. If you are obsessed with it, maybe do a little more research/ask your doc. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have personal ethical issues with it, but as far as being okay to have during pregnancy, I'm pretty sure it's okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Probably not, but I would Wink I think it's up there with deli meat (ie you have a higher risk of developing listerosis). I'd be really careful with deli meat in Quebec right now, they had a bunch of deli meat recalled for listerosis just a couple of weeks ago. As a pregnant woman you'd be 20x's more likely to develop and infection/get ill from it as a non pregnant person. Ie hubby can eat all the deli meat he'd like, be exposed to it, but still walk away without developing the infection (basically food poisoning). But if you ate the same meal you would likely develop a problem and it is very very serious for baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • citychicks - thank you SO much for this info - I had no idea they recently had some problems there... that is good to know..  I'm not a foie gras fanatic, but have had it & was just wondering if we order a complete tasting menu if it would be completely off limits.  I'll probably skip it to be on the safe side..
  • the liver is a filter system....think of eating a dirty filter. yuk.

but seriously, besides listeria risks, liver, pate etc. contains high levels of vitamin A which can lead to fetal development problems and even miscarriage.

• BLAH!!!! Sorry.  I went out to dinner with a friend one night and he ordered it for me saying it was delicious and that I must try it.  He wouldn't tell me what it was until after I ate it.  First,  I didn't like the taste at all but when he told me what it was and what they do to the ducks I about threw up and punched him at the same time!!!!  Blah....sorry.  I know,  everyone likes different stuff...but I probably wouldn't even if I liked it while I was pregnant.
  • My MWs encourage me to eat liver as often as possible - it is extremely high in iron, which is important for pregnant women.  I have eaten chicken and beef liver already this pregnancy and would eat duck liver without a problem (as long as it is cooked properly).  
  • Ladies, unless you are all vegans, you need to take a serious look at the meat industry in North America if you think fois gras even rates as "cruel." Be aware before you point fingers at only one small aspect of a very cruel system. The fois gras she would be eating in Quebec would have likely come form a local farm where the animal would have had a fairly decent life before the rendering process, as opposed to where almost all of your hamburgers come from. Look into it. Have any of you watched "Food Inc?" That's the tamest way of getting just a hint of an idea as to where your food comes from...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecitychicks:

Ladies, unless you are all vegans, you need to take a serious look at the meat industry in North America if you think fois gras even rates as "cruel." Be aware before you point fingers at only one small aspect of a very cruel system. The fois gras she would be eating in Quebec would have likely come form a local farm where the animal would have had a fairly decent life before the rendering process, as opposed to where almost all of your hamburgers come from. Look into it. Have any of you watched "Food Inc?" That's the tamest way of getting just a hint of an idea as to where your food comes from...

• imagecitychicks:

Ladies, unless you are all vegans, you need to take a serious look at the meat industry in North America if you think fois gras even rates as "cruel." Be aware before you point fingers at only one small aspect of a very cruel system. The fois gras she would be eating in Quebec would have likely come form a local farm where the animal would have had a fairly decent life before the rendering process, as opposed to where almost all of your hamburgers come from. Look into it. Have any of you watched "Food Inc?" That's the tamest way of getting just a hint of an idea as to where your food comes from...

Agreed.  My thing was I didn't like the taste as well.  If I didn't like steaks so much I would probably be against cows being butchered.  BUT I worked around cows and they are useless and I have no problem eating them.  Plus they taste great.  Same with chickens and fish. 

• imagecitychicks:

Not vegan, but I have seen Food, Inc. and buy all local, grass fed, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • imagekdodge423:
    imagecitychicks:

Worthless propaganda and full of scare tactics. Yes, let's all watch that crap.

You're in denial if you shop in the grocery store and think that the meat you eat doesn't come from factory farms like the ones shown in Food Inc.

• I am LOLing at the 'inhumanness' of foie gras.  Those ducks live in the lap of luxury compared to a lot of animals.  And yes, I buy all my meat from large grocery stores  ::gasp::

I personally, am not a fan of any kind of liver, but I would double check with my OB if it's that important to you, OP.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"