Louisiana Babies
Options

VBAC in Lafayette area

I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with VBAC in the Lafayette area. I like my current OB, but am not convinced that he is the best choice for me to be able to have a VBAC for my next child. My OB is associated with Women's and Children's but, as of Feb 2009, ICAN shows that they do not perform many VBACs. I am really set on my next birth being as natural as possible and would like any OB/hospital recommendations that you have. I am willing to drive to Baton Rouge if necessary, but would prefer an OB/hospital in Lafayette as it is much closer.

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~

Re: VBAC in Lafayette area

• Options

I don't know if you read my post below, but Dr. Dickerson at Woman's in Baton Rouge is one that supports them (as well as natural birth in general).  He's amazing.  I don't have any information on any doctors in the Lafayette area, but I know there aren't too many in Baton Rouge that want to take on VBAC.  I had to switch to him this pregnancy from a different doctor in the same practice that would not attempt one with me.

• Options
    Yes, I read your post already looked him up, he gets great reviews. I was just hoping to find someone in the Lafayette area because it only takes me 20 min to get to Lafayette and it would take me 1 hr and 20 min to get to Baton Rouge. If I can't find any doctors with good VBAC rates in Lafayette, though, I will definitely make the drive. My doctor says ok to VBAC, but I'm not sure how committed he is to actually succeeding in it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you don't mind me asking, who is your current doc in Lafayette?  I have a friend who works at Acadiana Women's Healthgroup in Lafayette.  And I used to see Dr. Fusilier at that office before I moved to BR.  There are several great doctors there but that was way before I was thinking about babies so I'm not sure about their feelings on VBAC's.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I'm with Dr. Hill who is also at Acadiana Women's Healthgroup. I really like him and have been seeing him for years but I'm just not sure how committed he is to VBACs or even natural birth. It kinda threw me off when at one visit he stripped my membranes without asking me or even telling me after. I was confused as to why I was suddenly bleeding alot and the nurse explained what he had done.

My husband and I did ask about VBAC rates at my first pp visit and he said it's about 40-60% for the area but didn't actually mention his VBAC rate which makes me a little suspicious. ICAN shows that Women's and Children's Hospital does not perform alot of VBACs (they did phone calls to all the hospitals requesting information on VBACs).

• Options
    imagecgillan:

I'm with Dr. Hill who is also at Acadiana Women's Healthgroup. I really like him and have been seeing him for years but I'm just not sure how committed he is to VBACs or even natural birth. It kinda threw me off when at one visit he stripped my membranes without asking me or even telling me after. I was confused as to why I was suddenly bleeding alot and the nurse explained what he had done.

My husband and I did ask about VBAC rates at my first pp visit and he said it's about 40-60% for the area but didn't actually mention his VBAC rate which makes me a little suspicious. ICAN shows that Women's and Children's Hospital does not perform alot of VBACs (they did phone calls to all the hospitals requesting information on VBACs).

I'm not speaking from personal experience but the vibe I get from a lot of doctor's over there is very "old school" and I definitely see how they wouldn't have a high VBAC rate.  However, I do know Dr. Hill and his staff and he really is a great doctor; I would totally trust him with my next pregnancy (along with several other docs in that practice).

I think they have an Nurse Practitioner on staff there; maybe she could be more helpful to you.

• Options

Well, like I said I really do like Dr. Hill. I've been seeing him for 7 years now and know he's a great doctor and surgeon. I just don't know how patient/permitting he is of VBACs.

I've been researching VBACs and I just feel like it's going to be very difficult to find a doctor willing to let me do all possible to attempt a VBAC, particularly in Louisiana. Did you know that Louisiana has the lowest VBAC rate at only 2.5% and the third highest c/s rate at 35.5%? Given these statistics I want not just a great doctor, but a great doctor who is fully supportive of the natural progression of labor and VBACs in particular.

Trying not to show my ignorance here, but what would a nurse practitioner be able to do to help with a VBAC?

Many thanks for your input, I do appreciate having someone familiar with the area and its doctors to chat with. Most of my friends who have had c/s already know they are having a ERCS so they don't have much input on VBACs. Although I did have one friend who had an accidental VBAC after 2 c/s. I am talking to her about her OB and her experience with the VBAC.

• Options

Those stats are crazy!  There was talk of me having to have a c/s with my daughter and my #1 concern was about them letting me try a VBAC with #2.  Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that but I totally get your desire to find someone who will at least talk about your options with you.

I only suggested the NP because I've heard that they are usually a lot more personal than the docs and tend to "get" things a little more.  Whereas a doc would take one look at your chart and want to schedule the c/s, the NP might be more apt to talking about your options.  IDK if that even makes sense.  Just trying to think of someone who would be able to talk it out with you and help you get to a decision that you're comfortable with!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"