Illinois Babies

vaginal delivery vs. c-section

I am 17 weeks now my first baby was delivered by emergency c-section after pushing for 3 hours 8 years ago.  I had doctor appt yesterday and doctor said i should consider trying to do a vaginal delivery instead of c-section. I am traumatized from my expericence with dtr.  I know the recovery time is quicker but i am scared of a repeat and ending up with the c-section.  I feel that atleast with a c-section i can prepare mentally.  Has anyone gone or is going through the same scenario?  I think i am more scared of the pushing and the pain and mentally not there yet!    

Re: vaginal delivery vs. c-section

• I'm not sure this is what you want to hear, but I was induced with my first son and had a successful but difficult vaginal delivery.  My second son was breech and I just had him by c-section.  So far the c-section has been much easier to recover from.  I don't know if I had an exceptionally difficult delivery (pushed for 3.5 hours and they had to use the vacuum), but at one week PP I couldn't really walk or sit and was in no position to take care of baby.  With the c-section I've been able to move around a lot better (still with pain meds) and can take care of baby on my own, but not my one year old (can't lift him).  That's just my experience.
  • Well I'm in the opposite boat and am afraid of another c/s and want to do vaginal.  Which doc do you go to?  I think it's great that he's recommending it and I'm sure you'll come to an agreement either way.  I have heard that repeat c/s are easier if you don't go through labor first, but I just have no desire to have surgery again. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess what i am most afraid of is that i will have to push and go through the normal vaginal delivery symthoms and at the end will be having a c-section.  My recovery with the c-section was fine i was up and moving and caring for dtr.  But, it is the actually delivery day that i have scared of.  i know i will figure it out but i am already worried about it thank you ladies.  It is always interesting to hear everyones experiences. 
  • I have to make a somewhat similar decision.  I had a planned c/s with DD (she was breech).  I am now pregnant with #2 and my doctor said I could try for a VBAC.  I had a very easy recovery with my c/s, but am still hesitant to have another one because, this time, I'll have a toddler to take care of.  On the other hand, I'm petrified of the possible complications that could arise from the VBAC.  I'm going to talk with my doctor about it thoroughly over the course of the next 31 weeks in order to try to make the best decision for myself and my baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had an emergency c/s with #1  and I sure as heck was not going to go through 24 hours of labor again.  I opted for another c/s all the way!!  I was at least able to enjoy #2's birth.  I was so out of it by the time I was rushed into the OR with baby #1 that I did not even get to take in all that was happening and I was scared since his HR kept dropping and everyone was rushing around me to get him delivered.  So it was a nice change to have a scheduled c/s for #2 and it was overall a pretty relaxed experience.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"