POLL - Looking back on your nursery decisions — The Bump
Success after IF

POLL - Looking back on your nursery decisions

In the interest of getting the board moving so we don't all have to drink prune juice, a poll.

If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery? 

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly? 

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't? 

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount?

Favorite thing about the nursery now?

[IMG]http://charliesweblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dsc_9813-copy.jpg?w=452&h=800[/IMG]

Re: POLL - Looking back on your nursery decisions

• I'm pretty happy with the way our nursery turned out.

Looking back, I would have skipped putting the glider rocker in there because we never used it that much, we always did feedings and cuddling and stuff out in the living room, so now it just takes up space and is something for DD to try and break with her furious rocking.

My favorite nursery item is a pillow case from my childhood that my Mom made, and I had restored and framed. 

I had more grand plans for nursery items that never came to be when I ended up hospitalized at 29 weeks, and I'm glad now I didn't waste the money. 

[IMG]http://charliesweblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dsc_9813-copy.jpg?w=452&h=800[/IMG]
  • LOL @ the prune juice. :)

If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery? Yes. It's my favorite room in the house.

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly?  Shockingly, no. I usually have buyers remorse about something, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The only thing I'm slightly disappointed about is the color of the stems/leaves on the flower decals (you can see them in my siggy). I ordered green but they came out looking almost black - definitely NOT the look I was going for.

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't?  I wish we'd done her name over her crib since that space is still bare.

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount? Probably too much, but it paid off.

Favorite thing about the nursery now? The little nook I created with the glider, small side table, lamp, etc. It's so cozy sitting there with her.

• Loading the player...
  • If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery? Yep

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly?  Not really, we were pretty frugal.

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't?  Not that I can think of - maybe we could have installed a mobile over the changing table.  He has one over the crib now that he loves.

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount? It was just right.  I didn't want to overdo it but I really wanted to have fun with it.  I think we did a good job!

Favorite thing about the nursery now? The little guy who sleeps in it :) Seriously though - I would have to say the glider (ahhhh comfy, we swapped it for the rocker) or the artwork.

...I had to AW :)

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery? I am completely happy with how we designed the nursery.  I love that we kept the existing elfa shelf system.  It's great for photos, books, etc.  Given how dirty the rug gets, I'm glad we didn't go with something really expensive.  I like that we used an old book case as the changing table and love the bins we put on the shelves for clothing storage.  And now that our little one apparently likes to occasionally gnaw on her crib, I'm glad we didn't spend a lot of money on it.

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly? Nope.  We went with "less is more" so we skipped a lot of the extras and have no regrets

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't? No.

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount?  Just right.

Favorite thing about the nursery now?  I think our single best purchase was the rocker/recliner.  It is such a great thing to have in there for reading to G, nursing, rocking her to sleep, etc.  
    [IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/z0ivm.jpg[/IMG]

TTC #1 since 2004. PCOS dx. 2 clomid cycles with no response, 3 IUIs
    Beta#1 82 (5/26/09); Beta#2 (5/28/09) 184; Beta #3 (6/1/09) 1172
    u/s @ 5w4d showed 1 sac, 2nd u/s @ 6w showed heartbeat! 128 bpm
  • If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery? yes

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly?  I don't think so but I'm never quick to make decisions about furniture and big ticket items.  I spend a lot of time researching and making sure I'm getting the bet deal possible.

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't?  I wish I would have bought the 5 drawer (tall dresser) to go with the set.  I can still order it but at the time the 6 drawers seemed like plenty of space and for the most part it is but there is enough space in the room for an additional dresser.

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount? I think just the right amount considering it took 20 weeks for the furniture to come in after it was promised to us much earlier.  The furniture was literally delivered and set up as we were driving home from the hospital with dd.  I didn't get to see the finished nursery until after she was born.  In the end none of that mattered and she didn't even sleep in her crib for the first month.  The situation was stressful but I think I always kept it in perspective.

Favorite thing about the nursery now? It's a bright and cheerful place for dd to play. It's a big enough space for some toys and books and she has plenty of room to grow and it will easily turn into a big girl room without having to move her.

Clomid M/C 8 weeks 2/08 *IVF #1-DD born 3/09
    *Surprise BFP-T18 baby lost at 13w 1/10 *FET #1-DS born 2/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • i'm still very happy with our nursery

nah- we went pretty cheap as it is

nope

just enough- i didn't stress or anything

i still love the rug & the wall behind the crib. and i'm glad we went neutral so baby#2 can enjoy the exact same nursery.

• If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery?  Other than it still looking not totally finished, I love the theme and color combination of tan and pink.

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly?  No, I still love our wipe warmer, lol

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't?  Gotten more art work.  I just have commitment issues.  It's the same way throughout our house and our walls.

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount? Right amount

Favorite thing about the nursery now? Her pink crib.  I'll miss it when we have to get a big girl bed.

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/148g7ie.jpg[/IMG]
  • I love how it turned out.

No, we didn't spend too much.  Most of it was DIY stuff which was special to me.

My mom was supposed to make our crib bedding and never got around to it so Gwen has not had a crib skirt.  She doesn't "need" it, but I wish I would have just bought one to have.

I spent a lot of time on it, but it seems worth it.

My favorite thing is the baby in it!  And that it has become "her" space in my head instead of just the nursery. =)

After infertility and the loss of our first son,Gregory, we are appreciating every moment of life with our beautiful daughter Gwen and expecting another miracle in 2012!

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/nvtdv9.jpg[/IMG]
  • We will be putting our nursery together in November once we move into our new apartment.  Right now I am happy with the bedding and accessories I have chosen.  I am only sad that I cannot paint the walls/do a mural on the wall (I love what krissyh) did with her nursery.

I have ordered some decals in our monkey theme for the walls so hopefully I will be happy with that.

Now I need to figure out the crib/dresser situation and find a crib mattress.

• I'm pretty happy with the decision.  we painted the walls a neutral color, that will be easier to paint over when we decide to change it into his big boy room (no plans to move him when new baby comes).   His big boy room will be Yankee themed and we already have the Navy Blue Accent wall to start things off.

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tte15bd.aspx[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tte6f0b.aspx[/img][/url]
  • The nursery is still my favorite room in the house! It's bright and cheery, just like Elizabeth, so it's worked out perfectly!

No regrets at all that we were super frugal. We refinished dressers we already had and got our crib, rocker/chair and rug at ikea. I love that we repainted the nightstand and bookcase I had in my own nursery.

I'm also really glad dh talked me out of painting the whole room green. Instead, we just did the crib wall and the rest are cream. The room would have been overwhelming if it was all green! :)

After 20 months, 3 Clomid cycles and 4 IUI cycles, IVF #1 with ICSI = BFP!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery? Still love it. I wish I had chosen a better paint color. I love the color but it doesn't match perfectly with the bedding.

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly? Right now, the crib!

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't? Not yet.

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount? I got it ready so early, but I was too excited to wait.

Favorite thing about the nursery now? It's such a peaceful room. My favorite thing is the CD/Ipod player and always playing relaxing music.

DD1- 2 IUI's, 1 IVF- BFP, M/C June, D&E July, Hysteroscopy August
    1 FET- BFP (vanashing twin at 1st u/s), C section June 2010
    DD2- Surprise BFP! C section July 2011

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/35cmv48.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2v8oegl.jpg[/IMG]
    Raising Miracle Babies
  • If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery? Very happy! 

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly? Not really. A few people bought us accessories (a little rattle that matches the bedding and a blanket I never used), but since that wasn't my money, I'm not that fussed.

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't? Put a second rail in the cupboard sooner! I only just did this so I could hang up DS's things, and now I'm wishing I'd done it ages ago!

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount? Probably a little much. I was on leave from 32 weeks, so I had a loooonnnng time to worry about it all!

Favorite thing about the nursery now? The rocking chair. Didn't use it loads in the beginning (she was in our room and I never got the hang of BF in it) but now it's the place for stories every night before bed. It's going to go into the new room they'll share-- I'll just re-cover the cushions.

• If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery? Yes! Our first one I was just so-so with but we were renting and knew we'd only be there a year max (was actually only about 4 mos.) after he was born so I stayed simple. At our house, I LOVE Toodle's room.

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly?  The crib, since he rarely sleeps in it? LOL. I'm glad we have it, he does use it on occasion at least.

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't?  Not really.

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount? I didn't really worry about it at all until after he was born except I did a few mockups on scrapblog while on bedrest to keep me entertained. So I guess not enough? After he was born we scrambled and ordered everything online but got it done pretty quickly. At the new house I've just done it piecemeal so I'd say the right amount.

Favorite thing about the nursery now? Rocking with Toodle at bedtime. And I love the beadboard we put in!

*** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery? Sometimes I wish I had gone with the more soothing/sophisticated colors that I had originally planned on rather than bright primary colors.

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly?  A whole bedding set, I knew I wasnt going to use it - I just wanted the crib skirt and the sheet.

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't?  Our nursery was tiny so there wasnt much we could do.  I do wish I had gone with the smaller IKEA furniture rather than buy from a baby furniture store.  In our next house I will be able to decorate a nursery the way I want to plus I'll have a big boy room to decorate. 

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount? I think it was just right, there's only so much you can fit in a closet sized room!

Favorite thing about the nursery now? We dont have one anymore!  We are between houses (living with my parents until we buy a new one in the spring).  In the old nursery, I really liked the closet organizer, it gave me so much more space.

-----Lisa-----
  • LOL at the prune juice comment!! :)

If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery?   I love it!! 

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly? not yet...we really don't use the glider much yet, and that was the only expensive item, but I am sure we will!

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't? I wish I had finished hanging the artwork..its not up yet!! 

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount?  Way too much, but I'm an architect, so what else would you expect Stick out tongue

Favorite thing about the nursery now?  I adore our craigslist dressers that we painted teal...they are AWESOME!!

• image RoxBride:

If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery? Mostly, yes. We unexpectedly moved when E was just 10w old & the original room I designed was much smaller and cozier than her new room.

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly? I kinda wish we had spent less on the crib and dresser. I should've gone for the baby cache at BRU instead of the Munire at the boutique. Especially since the movers damaged her dresser :( and my biggest concern was the Munire damages easily and in our experience it does.

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't? Since we were team green and E was in our room for 6mo anyway, I wish we had waited to until she was born to pick her bedding and color scheme.  I like our gender neutral green & brown elephants, but I would have done it differently.

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount? Just the right, but again if I knew she was a girl and that we were moving, I would have done things differently.

Favorite thing about the nursery now? I love her glider - we have spent so many hours in that chair. I also love the antique armoire that was in my nursery and is now in hers.  AND my best friend made me a custom piece of art that hangs over her crib - it says HOPE and that was our mantra during our IF struggle.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You mean the nursery my kid never ever slept in? Yeah, that was a waste of time.  It kept my brain occupied a bit, but I didn't spend a ton of time on it (just enough to research a crib and sheets).  I had the room painted, and decor idea already worked out so it was just a few things to swap out. But again, he never slept in it. And we had to dismantle it for him to use now as a toddler room.

I wish I had a better more supportive chair for nursing, with a stool. And that I hadn't purchased a crib.

• If you are now a parent, are you happy with how you designed your nursery? Yes, quite happy.  It's the only room in the house that I don't want to add/change a lot about, and of course, now we're changing it to be DS's big boy room!  *sigh*

Anything you spent money on that now seems silly?  Nope

Anything you wished you'd done but didn't?  I would have liked to get the matching side table, but it was just too $$$.

Did you spend too much time worrying about the nursery, not enough, or just the right amount?  I think it was a fine amount since I ended up really happy with everything I did/chose.

Favorite thing about the nursery now? Still love the crib...and the wall letters...bedding is pretty cute, too... I think in the long run, though, I'll be happy that we totally redid the closet system in that room.  VAST improvement.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards