Adoption

Bonding Process (sad): The First Time You Hear...

"I don't want to live here," it kind of breaks your heart.

Even if you know it's normal.  Even if you knew to expect it.  Even if it's completely out of proportion to the issue at hand.  Even if you know it's just to get a reaction out of you.

It still hurts.  Much more than when he denies that you love him.  And it makes you wonder if he means it when he later smiles at you when you tell him you love him.

We had a tough bedtime tonight.  As usual, by the time it was all said and done, M was happy and tucked in bed, and my husband and I were completely worn out.  We know this is normal testing and bonding stuff, but it sucks.  I was just saying what a great day it was, overall, and how it looked like M was going to earn all his stars for the day.  Blah.

Re: Bonding Process (sad): The First Time You Hear...

• I'm so sorry that you had to hear that and that it was such a rough day. Hope there are better days in the future.  ((hugs))
    My Wonderful Sister is my GC!!!! 3 IUIs, 2 unmedicated, 1 50mg of Clomid = All BFNs Next step IVF!!!! Melinda & Michael 5*6*06 God Bless The Broken Road
  • One of these days he is going to look at you and say "I am so so glad that you are my mom and dad" and it will all be worth it. I promise!!

(ETA: we also did an 'older child' adoption....our son was 10...so I do have experience in this. It WILL get better!)

Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Loading the player...
  • ** hug ** I'm sorry you're going through this. But I'm glad you still feel like you were prepared for it.  **sending good thoughts your way **
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't imagine.  I'm sorry you had a rough day.  It sounds like you are really doing a fantastic job of showing him unconditional love regardless of what you are getting back right now.  I can't imagine how confusing it must be for a child to be processing all he's gone through.  Still, you're human and you must be beat.  God is smiling on you, I'm sure of it.  Keep up the good work, Mama.

• After living with my sister, who was adopted at age 7 though fostered since age 4,  and hearing her often throwing such words around to my parents I was very scared of that happening with K.   I was very lucky.  She never said she wanted to go back to Russia and the closest she ever came to the worst of all things which an adopted child can say to you, "You're not my REAL mother" was during a very normal discussion about her feelings about/for BM.  She said that she sees me as her second mom.  That was good enough for me.  She had lived with BM until her death when K. was 11.  That was about four years ago.  We haven't really discussed it since.

I hope that things get better for you soon but please know that as he grows up he will know where his home really is and how much he is loved.  I know it doesn't stop the hurt now but at least it is something to look forward to.  Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just wanted to tell you I'm thinking about you.  You're doing a great job.  Hang in there!
    *TTC since February 08* 2 IUIs that didn't take, exploratory LAP and hysterscopy in September 2010 that revealed nothing, means we're adopting! Preliminary paper work to agency & started home study in 11/10 Profiles to agency on 1/12/11 - Officially waiting! First home study visit scheduled for 1/29/11 Matched (Eek!) on 1/24/11 *Sweet baby boy born on 1/26/11* Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just a complete sidenote, have you ever heard of Taming the Tiger While Its Still a Kitten? Another family with our agency let me borrow it as she knew of some of the issues we were having. Anyways, it's an EXCELLENT resource on attachment. She gives some very good examples to help bond with your child that I have never heard of before. They are good for all children, but especially those with attachment disorders. If nothing else, it's nice to just hear her talk of examples and being able to relate to them.

Anyways, I highly recommend it to any adoptive parent - attachment orders in their child or not. Hang in there - you are doing such an amazing job!

https://www.attachment.org/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=attachment&Product_Code=178

• :( I am so sorry, that would SUCK....I am so glad that you knew going into this that those things would be normal. But I know it still breaks your heart.
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • It seems you've been prepared for this even though hearing those words out loud doesn't make it any easier.  So far you've demonstrated how strong you and how caring and I think M is testing you & your husband but he's showing signs he's coming around.  It's hard and will keep you in my thoughts.  Hang in there.
    DX: Premature ovarian failure
    ::::SAIFW::::: People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute. - Rebecca West
    WE'VE BEEN MATCHED WITH A SWEET LITTLE BOY!! -4/5/11
  • awww mommy I just wanted to give you a big HUG!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"