North Florida Babies

Tell me about St. Lukes / Dr. Van Scriver

I am considering using Dr. Van Scriver's group for my OB and delivering at St Luke's. I would be switching practices in order to do this, but location is very important to me.

From what I can tell (superficially), St. Luke's and Baptist South are pretty similar as far as birthing goes. How would you compare the two?

Also, does anyone have any experience with A Place for Women, or Dr. Van Scriver specifically? 

My current OB is with N FL OBGYN, which means I would have to deliver at Baptist South. They have been fine so far, I just would really like to be closer to home / DH's work for both appointments and delivery.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tell me about St. Lukes / Dr. Van Scriver

• I don't know anything about St. Luke's (I delivered at Baptist South), but my Bradley instructor only recommended Dr. Van Scriver.  I've never met her personally, but have been told she's the best in the area if you want to go natural.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I don't know anything about Dr Van Scriver, but I will be delivering at St Lukes and I'm with N FL OBGYN. I was at the office near Memorial and transferred to Dr Rebenack because he delivers at St Lukes and his office is right across the street.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a friend that delivered with NFL (Baptist) for DS#1 and Dr.VanScriver for DS#2. She loved Dr. VanScriver, but didn't love St. Luke's. Both births were natural.

I'm taking the same birthing class/instructor that Kristin  did and the instructor is always raving about Dr. V.

If I were you, I would definitely go meet with Dr. V and possibly NFL at St. Luke's. You have plenty of time to meet with a few and decide.

• My friend delivered with Van Scriver at St. Lukes and really liked it. I visited her in the hospital. I delivered at Baptist South. I can't say about the differences in the doctors, but I definitely liked the facilities where I delivered much more than St. Lukes. 

Good luck!  

ETA: Good to see you over here!  

• Lurker butting in... lol.  I'm interested in this as well because I'm thinking about going to Van Scriver now that she's finally in my insurance network (yay!) and, of course, if I like her and the practice, I'd like to stay with them long term.  I'm trying to learn more about the differences between St. Luke's and Baptist South.  Do people prefer Baptist more simply because the rooms there are newer and nicer?  what's the deal?  I've read conflicting things online.  Some rave about St. Luke's because of how good the nurses are and how supportive they are of the baby rooming in, etc., but then others say the opposite.  I know having a great doctor is the main priority, but I'm still curious. 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageManalyzer:

I definitely liked the facilities where I delivered much more than St. Lukes. 

What was different between Baptist South and St. Lukes? Why did you like Baptist better?

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I've got a lot of homework to do before I decide, and to be honest I'm a bit intimidated by it all.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered at Baptist South.  The rooms are nice and big.  There are very long hallways for walking through labor pains.  I didn't see the facilities at St. Luke's so I don't have anything to compare it to, sorry!
    Mungee and Me
    How is it that my BABY is going to be 3?

BFP-2/25/11; 8 Wk U/S-3/25/11-No HB, measured 6.5 wks; D&C
  • I found this website which has pictures of St. Luke's renovated birth suites.   

https://www.auld-white.com/projects/healthcare/hospitals/st_lukes_family_birth_place

BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • I can't say anything about St. Luke's, but the nurses at Baptist South were a huge help wiu nursing and B was in our room the entire time unless he was having something checked or done. He was never gone more than 5-10 minutes.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • We just delivered in June with A Place for Women at St. Luke's. I loved them both. I switched over because I got the same referrals about her when seeking out a VBAC. I only saw her once, but I fell in LOVE with her. She is super supportive, talks to you like a person, and encourages questions and information.

I ended up delivering with Dr. Slade, who I also fell in love with! She's great and takes her time with you, but my only downside to her was that every time I had an appointment with her, I waited forever. They need to schedule her with longer appointments because she gets behind easily. But she's an awesome doc, and again, very supportive.

I personally didn't care for Dr. Phoenix, because she seemed very clinical and cold to me, but she did know her stuff. I never saw the midwife they also have. Overall, I love the practice. DH even loved them. So much so that he wants me to continue seeing them even if it's out of pocket.

I liked St. Luke's, but I'm not familiar with any other hospitals, as we're new to the area. I had an AWESOME experience with them. Wonderful nurses, a massive room to deliver in, and great follow up (we had to go back for a billirubin check a few days after getting discharged).

I was trying for a VBAC, which is why I delivered there. I had a CS with #1 because I got to 9cm and stopped. I got to 9.5 this time and things started slowing down because LO was turned sideways, and I had several nurses encouraging me. One nurse stayed with me for the next few hours helping me to get that last little bit of dilation and positioning me to move the baby. They knew it was important to me to avoid another CS (she even mentioned several things from my birth plan, so I knew she'd read over it), and made sure I had every opportunity to go vaginally. She also helped me manage the pain (I went natural up to 9.5, when she talked me into an epidural because I was fighting my contractions), working through each one with me until I got the epidural in. I wish I could personally give he a bonus! She was the difference between a successful VBAC and a second CS.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Awesome pic of hubby and DS#1

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"My 101 List - Updating asap, I swear!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"