3rd Trimester
Options

HELP! fat finger + small ring = ouch!

Ok, so I am feeling stupid and very mad at myself right now.  Just one week ago, we went to the jeweler where my engagement ring was purchased to get it cleaned and checked (part of their warranty requirements.)  The ring was hard to get off but I did it.  My husband was like "are you sure you want to put it back on?" but i was stubborn (and mostly concerned about losing it or having it stolen if I wasn't wearing it) and thought if it still fits now it'll be fine until I give birth.

well one week later this ring will NOT come off (which of course happens now that i've decided I will take it off and hide it so it won't get stolen even if the place gets robbed.) 

i tried lotion, hand sanitizer, even soaking my hand in ice water.  now it hurts worse than before (when it didn't hurt) from me poking at it and not being able to get it off.

there have to be tricks to reduce swelling temporarily that I am not thinking of.  help please?!?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: HELP! fat finger + small ring = ouch!

• Options

Is it hot/humid there?  When the weather sucks, my rings are pretty much stuck, but they don't hurt and don't really bother me. Mine wouldn't come off today even if I tried, but I know I'll be done soon so I'm not worried.

I've heard windex works?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DH just had to help me pry mine off, so I feel ya. He just wiggled it back and forth, while gently pulling the skin from under my ring towards my knuckle. Gosh I hope that makes sense. Try cooking oil if that doesn't work or baby oil. GL to you dear!! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Mine won't come off I have tried everything. We are going to have a jeweler cut it off in a month or so and they can repair it for me right then.

But Some tricks, are windex contricts blood flow for a few seconds and I hear is used all the time by jewelers. 

Also elevate your hand above your heart because that causes the blood to flow towards your heart and out of your hand. 

There is another trick where you wrap dental floss around your finger from the ring and work your way up while sliding your ring off, most fire departments or emt's know how and can do it for you.

I hope yours comes off, we tried all of these and nothing worked. Good Luck!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks ladies! 

Yeah the weather here is the problem I think, and my ring doesn't bother me at all.  I am just scared that my swelling isn't really weather related (as my ankles are also swelling, just started this week really) and I don't want it to get worse, so I am torn between waiting for the weather to cool off and hoping my swelling will reduce naturally, or worrying that as the weeks go by, the pregnancy-induced swelling will get worse.

i am going to wait a few hours before trying anything and i'll google the dental floss trick.  i've tried the cold and the lotion already. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Once you do get it off... I've been wearing mine around my neck on a sturdy chain.  I was worried about them if I'm not wearing them too so I went that direction.  Today is less hot and humid and they do fit today, but I decided not to risk it.

Best of luck getting them off!!

What Are Your Thoughts on Tap Dancing Penguins?

• Options

i don't trust chains at all :(  That's why I am thinking of hiding it somewhere that, even if the place were ransacked, nobody would find.  My mom had to take off all her rings when she was hospitalized for her leukemia.  She's like, they're hidden in a very secure place. (Her original engagement ring was stolen when I was in college so she's very paranoid about that, as am I.)  She was quiet for a moment, then admitted she doesn't remember *where* that safe place is right now!

But that's why I want to take it off at home.  We were at the jeweler and going to do more shopping and I had no chain.  I did not want to stick it in my purse for a few hours.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Try some baby oil!!! I have heard it works wonders...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    i don't trust chains either. i took mine off early on because i used to work for a jeweler and i saw a lot of rings get cut off. windex is what we always used to get stuck rings off. you don't want the hospital to have to do it.
  • Options
    i didn't think windex was safe on skin?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageSpacebunny19:
    i didn't think windex was safe on skin?

Haven't you ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding?? Windex cures all!

What Are Your Thoughts on Tap Dancing Penguins?

• Options
    i know, i know, and if i weren't pg I might try it, but i really don't want chemicals on my skn if they weren't meant to be on skin (or eaten. I'll totally rub up with butter or crisco).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageSpacebunny19:
    i know, i know, and if i weren't pg I might try it, but i really don't want chemicals on my skn if they weren't meant to be on skin (or eaten. I'll totally rub up with butter or crisco).

you're not taking a bath in it. you just squirt a little on your finger and if it will work, it should work right then. you won't be sitting with it on. i don't think the contact is any worse than what you get wiping down your windows or tables. i don't think the person above who said something about it reducing swelling is correct... it's just a much more efficient lubricant because of the ammonia. there should be a warning on the bottle indicating that you need gloves if it isn't safe on skin.

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Stuck-Ring

• Options
    Lotion doesn't usually work because your skin absorbs it too quickly.  Try butter, baby oil, or cooking oil, which won't be absorbed by your skin.  When I worked for a jeweler, we'd use baby oil & then submerge the hand in cold water (oil doesn't really wash off) - while the person's hand was submerged, we'd wiggle the ring back & forth along the oiled parts of the finger.  This will definitely require the help of another person, but it worked on everyone we ever used it on.
  • Options
    This may seem strange (very My Big Fat Greek Wedding), but when I went to get my engagement ring upsized and couldn't get it off of my finger, the jeweler actually squirted windex on my finger and it came right off. 
  • Options
    First you have to relax and be calm.  Use a lubricant like dish soap or baby oil to get your finger slick.  Cold hands will help, but really just keep your hand and elbow elevated (ideally above your heart) and have someone (your DH, mom, or a friend) gently put constant pressure to pull the ring off.  No yanking, just a constant and gentle pull.  Be patient -- this could take 10 - 15 minutes, but it works. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

thank you ladies--DH & I tried submerging w/ baby oil for about 10 minutes and it is not working.

supposedly the weather will cool off in 2 days so I am putting it on hold and will try again then.  if it doesn't work (I tried the dental floss thing and it didn't work either) i will go to a jeweler and see if the "professionals" can get it off.  if they can't, they'll have to cut it :(

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"