School-Aged Children

Cleaning their room, how old?

My 6.5 yr old fights tooth and nail, and will take hours to clean his room. He does OK if we draw out a detailed list of things to be done, but it is still a major struggle. It doesnt matter if there are only a few things to pick up, or a lot, he fights it every time.

How old do you think a kid should be before s/he is required to clean their own room?

Effing crazy people.

Re: Cleaning their room, how old?

• My four year old cleans her room daily and my one year old is learning to put toys in the toy box when we say clean up time. I do know that my nephews who are 6 and 7 are having a hard time with cleaning their rooms right now and they didnt before so maybe it is a phase. Hopefully...

I think that consistency is what is going to get you all through this. Good luck :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSammysu:

My four year old cleans her room daily and my one year old is learning to put toys in the toy box when we say clean up time. I do know that my nephews who are 6 and 7 are having a hard time with cleaning their rooms right now and they didnt before so maybe it is a phase. Hopefully...

I think that consistency is what is going to get you all through this. Good luck :)

I like this, they are never too young to clean!

• Loading the player...
  • I got tired of the HUGE mess my oldest made in his room every time I cleaned it up, so I threatened to clean it up myself (with a garbage bag) if he didn't do it.  Called him on it once or twice.  Now all  I say is "you clean it up or I will" He knows what I mean, and about once a month I go in myself and do a once over.  Like floors and whatnot.
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • We stared at 4. She keeps her own room clean, but I have to remind her regularly now at 6.  I go in once a week and do a good straighten up, trash pick up job.
  • My kids, 7 and 5, have to clean their room in order to get allowance.  The 7 year old does a really good job.  It can be like pulling teeth to get the 5 year old to do it.  I think the 7 year old does most of it just to get it done.  We usually give her extra allowance since we know her younger sister slacks off and she finishes.  
  • I agree that they are never too young. We've always taught to pick up toys once you're done playing with them. If they build a fort and then want to play outside, they know they have to pick it up first. Definitely work on consistency. Picking up should happen throughout playtime, every time. Set an example yourself as well.
  • I'm wondering if it is a 6 y/o thing!  My 4 and 9 y/o have no problem tidying up but my 6 y/o is the slowest cleaner in the world and she always NEEDS several breaks (said with the maximum of drama).  It helps if I tell her that we're heading to the park in 15 minutes (or 20-30 if the room is particularly jumbled) but her room needs to be clean before we can go, then I set a timer for her. 
  • I have made it a game with my DD.  I will say things like "pick up X number of things" and count with her.  The number varies according to how big the mess is.  Also if X number doesn't get enough picked up, we do it again.  Sometimes she wants me to time her too, lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My 3 y/o can do it (although 5 y/o DS didn't start until recently), so I think 6.5 is reasonable.  But, I have no problem with a detailed list if that's what he needs.  Or cleaning more often so it doesn't get overwhelming.  And, we also set time limits.  They know that if it's not cleaned up by X time, the toys are being given away. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • My sense is that it greatly depends on the individual kid and the amount and type of teaching/training you've done.

I still give my DD, who is nearly 10, some support with this task because she's very disorganized.  She needs me to help break down the task into categories (pick up all clothes, all books, clean off desk, empty trash, etc.)  Otherwise, she'll get distracted and frustrated.  I make her a "to do" list and check in with her frequently.  But she does all the actual cleaning herself.  I help with the planning and provide motivation. 

My son, although younger, is better able to cope with cleaning.  He grumbles, but he can stay on task and get the job done better than big sis.  Of course, he's just neater and as a younger kid with less junk/papers, his room is easier to handle.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"