Illinois Babies
Options

Anyone with a Nursery/Guest Room combo?

I live in a 2 BR/2.5 Bath Chicago loft and right now our 2nd BR is a guest room with attached bath. Of course we will be morphing this into a nursery in the near future, but I just am not sure I can let go of the "guest bed & bath" being that both of our families live out of town and I'm sure will be visiting during the first few months after birth.

Has anyone else (who is tight on sleeping quarters) managed to pull off a combo nursery/guest room? I'm thinking of adding a west elm day bed to the room, especially if the baby will sleep in our room for those first couple months. 

Any thoughts or suggestions? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

Re: Anyone with a Nursery/Guest Room combo?

• Options

We sort of did. We had DH in a bassinet. For his 1st 6 weeks, he spent 99% of his time in the bassinet in the guest room. When we had guests, we pulled him into our room. We didn't have enough space for both his crib and a bed, so we made due while we had a lot of guests. If I were to keep the bed and the crib in there, I'd probably have a pack and play to let him sleep in my room while we had guests. 

HTH!  

• Options
    haha, not DH, DS. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We did a Nursery/Office combo. Baby seriously doesn't need much right away so we got a small crib (with great ratings- IKEA Gulliver- which we love) and a small dresser that we use as a changing table. There's also 2 desks, 2 chairs, 2 computers in the same room and so far it's worked out well for us because she's only in there to sleep.

When we move into our bigger place, I plan on turning her room into a nursery/guest room and instead of the desks and computers, we'll put either a day bed or futon in there- and should we have guests they'll sleep there and we'll have the baby sleep in our room in a Peapod we have for when we go out of town. And if no guests ever stay with us (fine by me), the bed won't go to waste because it's the only other form of seating in her room.

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have a day bed in the nursery, we have the fisher-price newborn rocker/sleeper for when baby comes home.

I think this combo will work out well, my son has a queen size bed in his room so if we need more sleeping space my son can always crash on the daybed while our guests invade his room.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We're also going to do a daybed in the nursery/guest room.  We're doing a moses basket for the first 6 weeks or so, so LO will be in our room in that.  We're doing the Stokke Sleepi crib b/c its the right size to get through door ways and can just come into our room when needed.
    BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It does seem like a combo room is do-able and we are leaning towards the smaller IKEA Gulliver crib, so we might be able to keep a day bed in the nursery, too. 

I was looking at the fisher-price newborn rocker/sleeper too, or maybe the Just One Year Wood Bassinet to have in the room for the first month or two.

VOTE on my Name List

• Options
    We have a nursery/guest room combo (we're in a 2 bed condo and all our family is OOT). We have a futon in there. I'll PIP although it's not half as creative or pretty as a lot of the nurseries on here, and I kept it quite neutral because we're going to either sell or rent out our place soon.

The left side of the room is crib/dresser (different way round in each photo because DS started refusing to sleep if he could see out the door so we had to wedge the crib in the corner!) and the other side is futon/rocker/bookshelf. It's a bit tight but it works. (Not the best photos either but you get the idea.)

• Options
    Thanks for the PIP. It's nice to see it can work!

VOTE on my Name List

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"