Military Families

Tricare and Infertility?

Does anyone have experience seeing an Army infertility doctor? Luckily the post we are at has an infertility clinic and we have our first appt on September 20th!

I gave you life, then you gave me mine.

TTC February 2008 to October 2008 One year forced break due to OIF deployment #2
Resumed TTC in October 2009 HSG, Hysteroscopy, S/A all clear
Five total medicated cycles and IUI #1-3 = BFN and all while we were still "unexplained IF"
25 August Lap revealed Endo, adhesions and blocked left tube
September 2011: Femara + IUI #4 (IUI #1 post endo removal) =BFFN
November: IVF #1: Stims started 11/16 ER 11/25 (7R, 5F) ET 11/30 Transferred 2 beautiful expanding blastocysts +HPT 12/6/11
Beta #1 at 9dp5dt=153! Beta #2 at 16dp5dt= 4009!

Ultrasound 12/30 showed one beautiful heartbeat! EDD 17 August, 2012

Hazel Evelyn arrived 10 August, 2012!

Surprise natural BFP March 2015. M/C at 5 weeks
Another surprise natural BFP April 2015

Re: Tricare and Infertility?

• Yes, I went to the clinic at Wilford Hall in San Antonio.  Do you have any specific questions?  I don't know everything, but I'll try and answer as best as I can from my experience. 
  • Leslie, I remember you from way back when and you were barely pregnant with your twins! They are beautiful!

TTC February 2008 to October 2008 One year forced break due to OIF deployment #2
    Five total medicated cycles and IUI #1-3 = BFN and all while we were still "unexplained IF"
    November: IVF #1: Stims started 11/16 ER 11/25 (7R, 5F) ET 11/30 Transferred 2 beautiful expanding blastocysts +HPT 12/6/11

• Loading the player...
  • Haha, I just did a double take at your SN when I clicked back over here, and was coming in to post that I remember you too! 

How have you been?  Well besides the IF thing of course.  :(

• Good, we finally got out of Fort Drum and are loving life in the Pacific Northwest at Fort Lewis! Mike's been home for a year in October and we've been TTC since then.

I have no idea what to expect at our appointment on the 20th. They're supposed to send us a packet to fill out. I want to prepare Mike for the uncomfortable questions they may ask.

• Fort Lewis, how fun!  It sounds a hell of a lot better than Drum anyway.  We FINALLY got out of Hood the Hellhole, and we're up at Carson now.  Much better!  He just left for his 4th deployment.  Afghanistan this time so at least it's a change of scenery?  LOL

I think my first appointment was mainly just a lot of paperwork.  Every single question that could be asked about my medical history was, and DH's too.  I did get an u/s of my uterus that day, because of the results of my HSG done at Hood, and my RE wanting to get started right away, but I don't think testing like that is normal during the first appointment.  You'll probably have a bloodwork panel run if you haven't had one recently.  The first appointment is mostly just to hash out the history and come up with a tentative plan.  If he hasn't had a SA done recently, they may ask him to schedule one that day, though I doubt they'll ask him to do one right then.  I guess it's possible though. 

• Carson--nice! I've only been there once but it was really beautiful! I'm sorry your husband is deploying again. :( If we were still at Drum, Mike would be leaving in October again. The guys only got 12 months home this time.

The OB who referred me to the IF clinic ordered a bloodtest for me after my pelvic u/s showed a left ovarian cyst. She said it was normal though I'm not entirely sure what she checked.

Mike has had two s/a in the last couple months and both have showed he has slightly low motility (19 million rather than the normal of 20 million) but I don't know if that is low enough to be considered a big red flag.

• Man, only 12 months home?  Well I'm glad he got out of there at least.  We got just less than 18 months home this time.  Not bad until you factor in an entire unit move that was *supposed* to keep them stateside for more than 2 years so they could get everything settled up here before training to go overseas.  But, what can you do you know? 

Anyway, I hope your appointment goes well!

I think I'm going to hit the hay soon, but I hope you come around more often.  I've missed you! 

• Do you know how much (if anything) tricare will cover regarding diagnostic testing and procedures?

My cycles are normal and I know I ovulate because I chart and what little testing we have had done has revealed no obvious reason why I am not pregnant after 18 cycles.

I am not mentally prepared to use a medical procedure to get me pregnant. :(

• The only thing I would have had to pay for OOP would have been IVF cycles.  Because I was seen at a MTF, all testing was covered, my surgery was covered, meds were covered, even IUI's were covered.  100%.  The only thing we had to pay for in the whole process was the gas to get down there, and the cryobank fees to store his sperm since he deployed. 
  • I'm sorry that you are at this point in your TTC journey. I have received treatment at two different MTF IF Clinics--NTC in San Diego (for our IUIs) and Walter Reed (for IVF). In my experience, the only thing we had to pay for was for IVF lab fees. All diagnostic testing, meeds and IUIs were paid for because we were being treated at an MTF. If you are treated by a civilian RE, my understanding is that TRICARE will cover diagnostic work and meds for TI but not IUI or IVF. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help. I'm not an expert, but, unfortunately, I've been around the IF block a time or two.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm dealing with this nightmare right now.  I don't have an MTF within driving distance that does IVF and Tricare won't give me a referral to an RE, only an OB/GYN, and that's only for one consultation and one outpatient visit.  FML.  I don't have fallopian tubes, so good old fashioned sex, or even IUI, isn't going to get me anywhere.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • imageSmudges*Mom:
    I'm sorry that you are at this point in your TTC journey. I have received treatment at two different MTF IF Clinics--NTC in San Diego (for our IUIs) and Walter Reed (for IVF). In my experience, the only thing we had to pay for was for IVF lab fees. All diagnostic testing, meeds and IUIs were paid for because we were being treated at an MTF. If you are treated by a civilian RE, my understanding is that TRICARE will cover diagnostic work and meds for TI but not IUI or IVF. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help. I'm not an expert, but, unfortunately, I've been around the IF block a time or two.

Wow! That is great to know. Madigan Army Medical Center is where I'm going and I will be seen at the IF/IVF clinic. As I'm sure most of you can appreciate, I am concerned about the financial aspects of IF treatments and testing. Thank you for the information.

• imageleslie13510:
    The only thing I would have had to pay for OOP would have been IVF cycles.  Because I was seen at a MTF, all testing was covered, my surgery was covered, meds were covered, even IUI's were covered.  100%.  The only thing we had to pay for in the whole process was the gas to get down there, and the cryobank fees to store his sperm since he deployed. 

Those would have been done at the MTF too, correct? How did the OOP cost at an MTF compare with OOP cost at a civi hospital?

• We went through the civilan route, but the only complaints I have heard about the MTF are the long wait times to start. We luckily were able to get pregnant with TI, Tricare covered all the meds except for the copay, and I paid $250 to the RE because I was monitored at a facility 4 hours away and Tricare wouldn't cover that. The cycle for my twins cost us all of $300, my understanding is the meds were free if you went through the MTF pharmacy. Good luck!
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Did any of you feel completely isolated in your military community? We've always been the 'odd couple out' because we didn't have kids but now that we are having TTTC we definitely feel out of place. I feel like I'm surrounded by incredibly fertile people.  I feel like I have no one to talk to and often regret opening up about our IF. When I give a truthful answer to, "When are you guys going to have kids? Do you want kids?" I get advice such as "put your legs up so it all gets in there good." Huh? Yeah, thanks.

• imageFraggleChic:
    Did any of you feel completely isolated in your military community? We've always been the 'odd couple out' because we didn't have kids but now that we are having TTTC we definitely feel out of place. I feel like I'm surrounded by incredibly fertile people.  I feel like I have no one to talk to and often regret opening up about our IF. When I give a truthful answer to, "When are you guys going to have kids? Do you want kids?" I get advice such as "put your legs up so it all gets in there good." Huh? Yeah, thanks.
    I'm sorry that this has been your experience. When we were TTC, it felt like everywhere I turned I saw either a pregnant woman or a little baby. We are a bit older and my DH has been in for 15 years, so, sadly, a number of his coworkers were in the same or similar boat. I was actually surprised by how open he was with them. I mean, I'm an open book, but my DH tends not to be. I'm sorry that you are getting the standard advice. . . Folks mean well. . . But it does sting. Do they not realize you've covered those bases??? Hopefully the RE will have an easy treatment for you. Are you on the IF board? That board taught me so much and was a great support. I'm now on SaIF. . . Keep us posted.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageFraggleChic:
    Did any of you feel completely isolated in your military community? We've always been the 'odd couple out' because we didn't have kids but now that we are having TTTC we definitely feel out of place. I feel like I'm surrounded by incredibly fertile people.  I feel like I have no one to talk to and often regret opening up about our IF. When I give a truthful answer to, "When are you guys going to have kids? Do you want kids?" I get advice such as "put your legs up so it all gets in there good." Huh? Yeah, thanks.

We had been married over 4 years when we finally got pregnant, it took us 3 years for that happen. Our best friends, it took one cycle. None of our friends had gone through what we had and I had no one to talk to. Now that we have the twins, people are coming out of the woodwork that had TTTC, I even referred one to my RE for their #2. I've finally got snarky with the comments and told someone that no amount of putting my legs in the air was going to make me ovulate. That and all the money we wasted on BC, lol.

Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageFraggleChic:

Yes, OMG yes.  Everyone around me was either pregnant or herding oodles of kids around with them, while I was miscarrying every time I got pregnant, and going through surgery and IF treatments.  I was lucky to have a couple of great friends that I could talk to about it, but I don't think they ever really understood how it felt.  I don't think any of my military wife friends have ever had to do more than have sex a few times to get pregnant.  Of my 10 closest friends in the military, the longest it took any of them to get pregnant was maybe 3 months, and I only know 2 that had miscarriages, and it was one m/c each in between having healthy kids.  Not that I would wish any problems on anyone, and I'm very glad that they had easier TTC journeys than I did, but I definitely felt like the odd ball of the group. 

• imageleslie13510:

Yes, OMG yes.  Everyone around me was either pregnant or herding oodles of kids around with them, while I was miscarrying every time I got pregnant, and going through surgery and IF treatments.  I was lucky to have a couple of great friends that I could talk to about it, but I don't think they ever really understood how it felt.  I don't think any of my military wife friends have ever had to do more than have sex a few times to get pregnant.  Of my 10 closest friends in the military, the longest it took any of them to get pregnant was maybe 3 months, and I only know 2 that had miscarriages, and it was one m/c each in between having healthy kids.  Not that I would wish any problems on anyone, and I'm very glad that they had easier TTC journeys than I did, but I definitely felt like the odd ball of the group. 

Yes, exactly! I get so annoyed when they try to give me advice. I know they're trying to help but they really have no clue what it is like to struggle to get pregnant. A friend of mine just had her third baby a few weeks ago. With #2 she was concerned when she didn't get pg after two cycles. With #3 she came to visit her husband for Thanksgiving and got pregnant while staying at our house (we were out of town.) I have friends who tell me to just relax, stop trying, have fun with it, etc. I snarkily replied, "If all it took was having fun I would have 15 children by now." She doesn't call much anymore, which is fine considering she's pg with #2.

• I'm new on this board and happened across this post. I feel so isolated here as well. Not only is everyone on base pregnant or have young babies, two of my sisters are pregnant. One with number 2 and one with number 3. We have only been trying for 7 months, but we want this so badly that each cycle that goes by crushes me. I am tired of hearing, stop wanting one and you'll get pregnant. I can't pretend I don't want a baby!!!! I never thought it would take this long. Especially since I have normal cycles, ovulate, and have never been on bc. I was a teacher and all of my teenage students got pregnant and it would make me so angry! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"