Military Families

R&R and delivering twins!

My husband is coming home on R&R, and I am scheduled to have a c-section to deliver our twin boys while he is here. I have asked him if there is any way he can qualify for extended leave, etc. due to the fact that we are having twins, but he says that there is nothing like that. Does anyone know if this is true? Are there any cases in which extended leave is granted? I am nervous about dealing with two newborns by myself once he is gone! Thanks for any advice.

Re: R&R and delivering twins!

• He would have to use his regular annual leave to have it extended past the 10 free days of paternity leave.
  • He won't get his 10 days paternity leave until he comes home from deployment, my DH had to do that. I had DS while he was home on R and R and he had to go back when DS was 10 days old. I don't think there is anything special for having twins. Maybe he can talk to his commander?
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. Take the exact date out of your post!!  That's an OPSEC violation.

2. I've never heard of anyone getting extended leave, but it's worth a shot by talking to his chain of command.  GL!!

• The date of my delivery is an OPSEC violation? Didn't know that thanks.
  • Dont quote me on this one cause Im not 100% sure, but I think the only way that leave can be extended in this situation is if there is something medically WRONG with you or one of the boys. If there is an extended hospitalization for one of you or you are having difficulty healing after your C-Section. This would take quite a bit of work and approval but I do know when I worked in MFM a few years ago---we had a Daddy get Red Crossed home and he stayed for a about a month due to complications with the babies and Mom. This was also an early, NOT planned delivery...but just because you need help with the babies...that probably wont fly...Sorry!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If there is something wrong with you or one of the babies he may qualify for emergency leave.  Otherwise, no there is no special treatment for twins.  God I wish.  The newborn days would have been a hell of a lot easier if he hadn't had to go straight to 24 hours shifts (right after coming home from a deployment) when our kids were 2 weeks old.  AND his commander was a douchenozzle who tried making him go back to work 2 days after they were born... while I was still in the hospital unable to walk on my own.  The only reason he even got 2 weeks was because my OB sent his command a very stern letter basically saying give him 2 weeks off or else.  It wasn't pretty. 

I know it's a scary thought, but you CAN do this on your own.  Newborn twins are a lot of work obviously, but they're not impossible.  Once you get a routine down things will seem like no big deal, and you'll look back and laugh at how hard you thought it was going to be. 

Good luck, and if you have any questions let me know!

• Thanks for the info, and I may definitely get in touch with you for questions!
  • Actually, the 10 days "extra" leave is up to his command and does not require any medical issues with the spouse or child.

What you can do is send a red cross message to the command upon the birth of the children - if your husband is NOT mission essential and they can afford to have his leave extended they will approve it.

While it is NOT likely it is possible. What you need to remember is that if he gets it NOW - he will not get it later.

• imageARMYmarriedNAVY:

Actually, the 10 days "extra" leave is up to his command and does not require any medical issues with the spouse or child.

What you can do is send a red cross message to the command upon the birth of the children - if your husband is NOT mission essential and they can afford to have his leave extended they will approve it.

While it is NOT likely it is possible. What you need to remember is that if he gets it NOW - he will not get it later.

Red cross will not send a notification message if the babies are born healthy with no complications. They do not notify simply based on delivery of a baby.

• All of this is amazing news to me. We had 5 (yes 5) births within 3 months during the last deployment. The command was notified each time via the ARC. They responded by granting leave to those individuals. Maybe it is different depending on which branch of service - but since it is a hospitilization of the spouse the ARC will send a message.

At least... they did for us.

• imageARMYmarriedNAVY:

Actually, the 10 days "extra" leave is up to his command and does not require any medical issues with the spouse or child.

Red cross will not send a notification message if the babies are born healthy with no complications. They do not notify simply based on delivery of a baby.

• imageARMYmarriedNAVY:

All of this is amazing news to me. We had 5 (yes 5) births within 3 months during the last deployment. The command was notified each time via the ARC. They responded by granting leave to those individuals. Maybe it is different depending on which branch of service - but since it is a hospitilization of the spouse the ARC will send a message.

At least... they did for us.

They may have changed their policy? This is what they told us when DH deployed last year and I know that they refused to send notification for a few wives who gave birth during the deployment. However, DH's unit and commanders were very nice about all this and let any of the dads come home that wanted to come home. They tried to time their R and R with the births, if that is what they wanted to do. To the OP, I would talk to your FRG and have your DH talk to his command and see what is goign to happen. Good luck!

(and sorry for the repeat posts, the Bump is giving me errors left and right today)

• I know first hand that there is no "special treatment" due to twins.  Oh how I wish though!  Believe me you will do fine.  My boys were in the NICU for the first month (they were preemies) and once they were home my husband was gone for 2 months.  Then he deployed when they were 6 months old.  They are now 15 months old.  There are days when it was (and still is) difficult but it's amazing what you can do!  I took an extended maternity leave but had to go back to work the day my husband left.  Make sure you have a few people you can really count on because that really helps.  And the best thing that I did was to get a Flat Daddy.  It really helps the boys recognize Daddy while he is gone.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"