Maryland Babies
Options

Natural Birth at Howard County General?

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with having a natural birth at Howard County General Hospital? I want to go med free for my birth but have heard that some hospitals are not really open to doing it naturally.  Just trying to get a feel on other peoples birth experiences at this hospital.

Thanks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Natural Birth at Howard County General?

• Options

I ended up having a scheduled c/s there b/c my DD was breech, but as I recall from our birth class,  they seemed pretty open to letting you birth naturally - they had mobile fetal monitors and didn't automatically make everybody get an IV and weren't pushing everybody to get an epidural.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I did get an epidural and I knew from moment one, but they weren't all over me asking when I was going to get it. As of last September they were supposed to be getting (installing?) supports so you could be on your hands and knees or bending over the railing, etc during labor. I think they'd also purchased a number of birthing balls.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    BTW - if you are serious about having an unmedicated birth, you might want to look into hiring a doula.  For a relatively low fee, they will stay with the whole time you are in labor - whether you choose to do it at home or at the hospital and you have a much lower chance of having an interventions or even an unscheduled c/section w/ a doula.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I def. want to second the doula recommendation.  I think doulas are great for any kind of birth but they are especially important for a mom who wants to go unmedicated in a hospital setting.  I also highly recommend the Bradley method of classes for preparing for your unmedicated birth.  I know that Jessica Groves has some spots available in her  class that is starting in Sept. (I forget what your ticker says).  Do a google search for her website if you are interested (I believe it is trustingourbodies.com).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

i attempted to go natural there but unfortunately after close to 20 hours in labor they prepped me for a c-section and I had to take the epidural, no c-s though, once i got the drugs I relaxed and 15 minutes later Kira was born.

They were in support of me going med free, no one had issues with it, although that was almost 5 years ago now. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"