Eco-Friendly Family
Options

School snacks?

Sorry for the random post, but it is on topic.  :D  E is in kindergarten now and they eat lunch at 10:30 (don't get me started) and so they have a snack at 1:15 to help make up for it.

Well each day a child brings snack for the whole class.  Our turn is next Wednesday and I need want a good/easy/healthy idea.

Most days so far he's been getting cookies or HFCS fruit snacks :|  I'm not sure what to do about this yet w/out seeming like a total nut.

Anyhow, point, I need to come up with an idea that the kids will eat.

Bonus points if it is purple or contains purple, as that is the theme of the day (they go through the colors, shapes, letters, numbers, etc.)

Check out The Eco-Friendly Family, a
Green Living Blog
for eco-information and fun giveaways!

Re: School snacks?

• Options

I forgot to add too that I need EF idea for how to individually package these :|  (for easy handing out)

I'm not cool with plastic baggies.  I was thinking maybe taking in silicone baking cups filled w/ snacks on a baking sheet or something : or maybe wax paper bags?  Are there other options out there?

Green Living Blog

• Options

Wax bags are a good idea (are they more EF - I don't know?) - but I have some at home and they work great. 

What about a trail mix of sorts (without nuts).  Raisens & other dried fruit & maybe pretzel sticks, maybe sunflower seeds too?

Purple grapes?

Mini blueberry muffins?

Crackers with grape or boysenberry jam?

GL!

PS. Are you writing/have you written a post about kindy?  I want details - we'll be there next year!

Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

How about some all natural saltines with a bit of peanut butter and grape jelly? 

P.S. It would break my heart if DD was getting junk for a snack everyday.  :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Does it have to be store bought or can it be homemade?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

grapes are purple, not sure how you would package them as a fruit.

what about those little boxes of raisins, sun maid?  they are cardboard, would that be OK?

• Options

Oh school snacks.  I had to be okay with the choices other parents made many years ago when #1 started.  We have to keep kosher at school, but that is no means indicative of healthiness.  Nutri-Grain bars, oreos, fruit snacks, all frustrate me so much.  But they also get pretzels and fruit quite often, and every Friday is Challah.  But yes, I've bitten my tongue MANY times.

(One year, our snack day happened to be on earth day, so I made snacks and a sandwich baggie in recycle fabric for the parents and included a note about Earth Day/reducing/reusing and recycling.  I had to say SOMETHING, lol).  I'm starting to get a rep as the zero-waste/cloth diaper mom :)

So anyway, what we do for snack days:

- apples, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, melons colorful fruits that can be cut up ahead of time.  Putting them in silicone baking cups is actually a super cute idea.  

- Homemade graham crackers (For a birthday snack, I dipped the ends in chocolate and put on little sprinkles...better than store-bought cupcakes IMO, and smaller portions for the little ones)

- Homemade granola or clif bars (we don't have a peanut-free school, and are still allowed to bake treats, thank GOODNESS).  Each of these could be wrapped in parchment or waxed paper.

- cheese and apples are always a hit

I'll keep thinking...(The bento box sites may give you some good ideas on EF-reusable packaging).

Our Little Fur Family
    My Three Sons
    #1: 2.06 #2: 1.08 #3: 9.10

DS #3 diagnosed at birth with panhypopituitarism - lack of pituitary function. He is treated with thyroxine, hydrocortisone, growth hormone and testosterone.

• Options

i think fruit and cheese is a great snack.  or crackers with sunbutter.  i like the silicone cups idea a lot.  even paper muffin cups would be a whole lot less waste.

i think i might have to speak up about the snack choices so far.  Embarrassed

• Options

Earthbound Farms makes individual raisin packs and the packs are purple.

Maybe some grape jello parfaits? You could make them in the shorter clear cups that look like glass but are disposable (I know, waste, but it is individual)...

Do stores by you have purple carrots or purple culiflower? Those could be served with a little dip. How about the purple potato chips (sea salt)? I had the purple chips out for a halloween party and people loved them. You could make a dip for the chips also. If you can get actual purple/blue potatoes you could make a potato salad out of them.

Plums are purple and portable. 

photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Great ideas, thanks so much ladies.  Sorry for running off like that.  It's always something around here!

I should do a post on kindergarten.  I am having and EF anxiety attack about all of it, LOL.  We pack his lunch, but that's only a small piece of the puzzle sadly.

The snack can be homemade as far as I am aware.

Thanks again ladies, I will be putting these all into a document, for use this year!  As for the other snacks, I'm not sure what to do yet :  I may send a pack of granola bars (he loves) so that if snack is bad he can eat that :  I dunno.

Green Living Blog

• Options

Fruit and seed bars - makes 20 bars. I like the idea of the wax bags or silicone cups.

Chewy granola balls - makes 30 balls.

Bugs on a log.

PB&J pinwheels.

Sweet beet cookies - makes 50 small cookies.

"O" cookies - makes 30 cookies.

Oatmeal on-the-go bars - makes 18 bars.

• Options

How about those awesome purple chips! They're tasty! You could probably buy a few big bags and piece them out into little wax bags or something.

This link is for individual bags, but it gives you an idea what the heck I'm talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Terra-Blue-Potato-Chips-1-Ounce/dp/B000EQX62Y

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't know how easy it would be for you to get or how much it would cost but you can get purple cauliflower and you could give them a little ranch dressing to dip it in if you want.  If maybe a fun way to give them a different veggie as it goes with the day.  

You could came up with a fun name for it too, and they might be more likely to eat it, I know someone who calls blueberries blue balls and gave other fun names to fruit and veggies to help their kids eat their fruit and veggies.  

• Options

Saving for later...  

Don't even get me started on school snacks.  I cringe when I hear what DS has been eating.  The worst thing is that we all bring snacks at the beginning of the year so things basically _have_ to be processed for shelf like.  There is no fridge available for storing snacks.  I've been trying to decide how to tackle this issue. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"