Breastfeeding

Pump Questions: Insurance and Reviews

Hi ladies,

A couple of pump-related questions from a first-time soon-to-be mom:

First, if you were able to get your insurance to pay for your pump, how did you approach them about it? Were you able to get the Rx while you were pregnant or did you have to wait until the birth to get them to authorize it?

My insurance says it pays for "durable medical equipment" but doesn't specifically include or exclude breast pumps (at least not in writing), so I think I have a shot at getting it approved, but I'm really uncertain how to proceed.

Also, if insurance says "no," do you know if I can use my FSA towards a breast-pump? It covers some items (like glasses and OTC meds) that insurance doesn't.

Also, can anyone recommend a good site to read expert reviews of different pumps? I've been trying to read reviews on BRU and Amazon, but I'm getting overwhelmed and confused because it seems like, for every model, there are some people who love it and some who totally hate it.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Pump Questions: Insurance and Reviews

• You could call your insurance company, and they should be able to tell you if they'll cover a pump. My insurance also said it covered durable medical equipment, which I saw as a pump, but when I called they said a pump was not covered unless it was medically necessary (like the baby being separated from me after birth, etc.), and then they'd only cover a rental for a few months (I forgot how long they said).
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I was able to get a pump through my insurance. My pedi wrote an Rx for it at my LO's 2 wk apt because my nipples were cracked and extremely sore and it was making it hard to feed him. The pedi just had to use specific wording on the Rx and my insurance covered it. I did have to go to a medical supply store that was covered by the insurance. But I got a brand new Medela Pump-in-Style all covered by my insurance! You'll def want to check with your insurance company before your LO arrives to see what options you have so you know.

Also you can talk to your OB about it. I brought it up to see if it would be an option and they also offered to write an Rx for it if necessary.

Hope that helps! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies! My OB said he'd write the Rx, but it sounds like I need to call the insurance company to get all the details.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm lurking from 2ndTri but I wanted to say I found the reviews in the Baby Bargains 2010 book very helpful.  I am thinking about the Medela PIS advanced for the hands free option, but also looking for more info on the Avent which they rate highly as well...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"