December 2010 Moms
Options

TaTa pump stress!

OMG If I change my registry one more time!  I keep going back and forth between the Medela Swing single breast pump or the Lansinoh double electric pump. 

Here's my problem: Medela is the brand everyone raves about so I lean towards that but I can only afford a single pump if I go that route.  I've heard a little about the Lansinoh but in general Medela is the brand everyone talks about but if I go Lansinoh I can get the double pump. 

Lots of people are telling me it's important to have a double pump but does it really make that much difference?   I'm a first time mom and of course all the ladies I can ask either have the high end $300 plus Medela or had kids 30yrs ago and used a manual pump.  ACK!

Input please I'm begging here. Confused

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: TaTa pump stress!

• Options

I can't offer any concrete advice, since I've never used a breast pump before, but I do hear that having a double electric is worth it if you are going back to work.  Think about what you're going to use it for.  If you're going to be a SAHM, the single one may be fine, since you'll probably need to use it less.

FWIW, I'm getting the Lansinoh Affinity (double electric), and I hear nothing but good things about it.  I'm lucky enough to have a friend who is studying to be a lactation consultant, and she ended up with a free one that she is sending me!

A couple of other options... some insurers will pay for a breast pump after the baby is born, or offer reduced pricing on them, so maybe check that out.  Also, I've heard some people find it useful to rent a pump at first to see if they really need a double electric, and then buy one later.  GL!

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've heard good things about Lansinoh.  I think the fact is each woman breastfeeds or doesn't breastfeed in a different way so you won't really know what kind of pump you'll need or want until you try them out.  that said everything I've heard says if you're going back to work full time you should definitely invest in a double pump.  just because Medela is the most popular brand doesn't mean the less expensive double electrics aren't well worth the money!

eventually I'd love a double electric, but for now I just put the Medela manual on my registry because I'm not 100% sure breast feeding will work out how I hope it will, plus I'll basically be able to be with my baby 24hours a day even when I return to work.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks!  I may just wait to buy it after baby is here and I have a better idea what I need.
  • Options

I am totally with you.  I've changed the pump on my list about 5 times already.  I started with a Madela single manuel pump, then I went to the single electric, and I just switched to the double pump in style.  I decied to splurge to add the double b/c I plan to pump once I return to work (after 6 weeks) and I have read it takes 15-20 minutes to pump a breast.  So if you have a single pump it can take almost an hour to pump both breasts, whereas the double pump would be less time and I wouldn't have to worry about timing myself when I only have 43 minutes to do get this all done at work.

Remember tho that you can get a completion discount on your registry if someone doesn't buy you the pump you want.

• Options
    imagebubbles231211:

I am totally with you.  I've changed the pump on my list about 5 times already.  I started with a Madela single manuel pump, then I went to the single electric, and I just switched to the double pump in style.  I decied to splurge to add the double b/c I plan to pump once I return to work (after 6 weeks) and I have read it takes 15-20 minutes to pump a breast.  So if you have a single pump it can take almost an hour to pump both breasts, whereas the double pump would be less time and I wouldn't have to worry about timing myself when I only have 43 minutes to do get this all done at work.

Remember tho that you can get a completion discount on your registry if someone doesn't buy you the pump you want.

I actually only put it on my registry for the discount.  I already know no one will be purchasing the pump for me.  My family have all said "I'm not buying you a pump; manual was good enough for me, it's good enough for you"  LOL

• Options
    Personally I hate Medela.  I used that with my first child and thought it was horrible.  I prefer the cheaper hand pumps.  However, if you're set on an electric pump you can look into renting them.  You local La Leche league or L & D hospital lactation consultant can give you information on how.  It might be worth it since it is such an expense and you cannot return them once they're open for sanitary reasons.  Good luck.  Let us know what you decide!
  • Options
    I just bought the Lansinoh double today on Amazon. I saw a post earlier today that it was going for $104. I read the reviews and went back and looked in Baby Bargains and saw that it was recommended along with the Madela in the book so I went ahead and ordered it. I also liked that the milk didn't back up into it like the Madela did. The downside from the reviews was that it beeped when you used it and a few people said the pump slowed down after about 4-5 months. I figured for $100 bucks I could give it a shot and the reviews overall were very good.  
  • Options
    Yeah I saw the same post which got me started questioning all over again.  I originally thought Lansinoh then switched to medela and have gone back and forth several times now.
  • Options

A lot of people I know recommended Medela. However, when I started researching Medela pumps, I read a TON of reviews that said women hated the shields, their nipples got infected because of them, etc... Some women had to stop BFing all together because of it. This completely turned me off- especially since Medela is so expensive.

I keep going back and forth between Ameda and Lansinoh. I like the fact that Ameda has different sized shields, but Lansinoh is cheaper and does have softer shields.

I completely understand why they can't be returned, but it makes the decision all that much harder. I'm so worried I'm gonna spend a ton of money on a pump, use it three times and hate it.

As far as getting a single or double, like PP said, it really depends on how much/ when you're gonna use it. If you're gonna be a SAHM and are just using it to empty after baby has eaten, a single one will probably do you just fine. If you're planning on going back to work/school or are planning on pumping more and feeding baby out of bottles, I'd get a double one. It depends on how much time you have to spare to pump.

• Options

If you are going to be occasionally pumping I would get the lansinoh double (you don't want to mess around with a single) but if you are going to be pumping at work you really should spring for the medela PIS. You buy one online from lactationcare.com for $225 and they are a certified medela dealer.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had considered a single pump as well but my friend talked me out of it.  It takes her 20 minutes to pump with a double, so if you have to do it one at a time that's 40 minutes you're stuck sitting there pumping.  I'm sure everyone is different but this was enough to convince me.  

I kind of decided on the Medela and I'm sick of researching it at this point.  There are good and bad things about every pump and the reviews are starting to make me crazy.

imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Whatever you do check Amazon b/c the prices are way cheaper like someone else said.

I'm heading back to work so I am going to invest in the Medela PIS just b/c of the super fast comments in the reviews everyone has given it!  

I have heard good things about all of them so to each his own!  good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"