Working Moms

Non Clicky Poll: How sick?

How sick do you have to be before you will call in sick to work? DD was sick all last week while we were on vacation and I caught it! It's a killer head cold.... but I figure I don't have a fever so I'll tough it out at work since I don't get paid sick days... but I'd love to stay in bed all day and just sleep it off. What is your 'sick rule'? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Non Clicky Poll: How sick?

• imageHuzzy:
    How sick do you have to be before you will call in sick to work? DD was sick all last week while we were on vacation and I caught it! It's a killer head cold.... but I figure I don't have a fever so I'll tough it out at work since I don't get paid sick days... but I'd love to stay in bed all day and just sleep it off. What is your 'sick rule'? 

I have really ever only truly 'called in sick' once in my life, and that was because I couldn't go longer than 5 minutes without throwing up. ewwwww.

My assessment as to when I am too sick is somewhat based on my tasks for the day (ie, am I going to be interacting with a bunch of people who don't want to be exposed to my grossness, or am I going to be able to hide in my office all day), the urgency of my work that needs to get done, and also how I am feeling.

What usually ends up happening is that I go to work, do what absolutely has to get done, and then go home early.  

• Migraine or puking.

I'll tough it out for anything else. I rarely get migraines, but when I do, I get super nauseous and my eyes hurt, I need to sleep in a dark cool room to get over it.

I suppose you could add fever to that too. We don't have a set number of sick days at work, when you are sick, you're sick, they don't want to see you.

• Loading the player...
  • Before DD I had no problem calling in sick when I had a bad cold, but now I tough it out unless I have something really horrible like a stomach flu or I am so ill I really can't focus on the computer to work.  It's terrible because I know I am probably exposing some of my co-workers to my colds but I feel like I have to save my sick days for when DD is sick.  The good thing is that if I am feeling lousy my boss will often let me work from home.

• A mild cold, I'll work through. But by and large, if I dont' feel good, I stay home.  Usually the first day of a cold, I'll stay home.  I've found that if I stay home and rest, I get better faster.  If I force myself to work through it, I'm sick longer.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• If I know I'm contagious (first day of a cold, or if I'm really sneezing/coughing, etc) or if I'm throwing up I stay home. I think it's not nice to expose coworkers to my germs, especially since a lot of them have young kids at home too and no one wants to share/take home everything.  But I'm lucky in that I can do a lot of work from home, so I can usually put in a few hours between naps, etc.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I save my sick days in case I need to stay home with DS. I rarely am actually sick, but I have allergies. I only stay home for allergies if it's bad enough for me to need to take Benadryl because I can't drive when I'm on Benadryl. I can think of one time that I called in sick for this job, and I've been here almost 2 years.
    imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If I'm puking or have a fever, especially from something contagious like strep or the flu, I stay home. Other than that it just depends on my work load and how many paid days off I have remaining. I have a set number of days per year that I have to use for sick, vacation and any personal time off.
  • It's interesting how many of you will work if the illness is less severe than fever/puking.  I don't disagree with you.  But do you remember how many first tri girls were always SO upset that someone would dare come to work with a bad cold because they were worried they'd get sick?  I wonder how they'll answer this question once they realize how many times a germy child will get them sick haha

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I think I would have to go with what the daycare has set rules for when they send a child home: fever, diahrrea, vomiting, contagious.

If on antibiotics, back to work. I will go to work if I have a cold but I stay in my office all day long and wash my hands frequently.

I think work only sent me home one time because of a stomach flu. Other than that I tough it out to save sick days for DS,

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It kind of depends what I have going on for the day.  Some days, I'll tough it out.  Most of the time, I'll either try to work from home or I'll stay home if I can.  I feel like it's better to rest and get better than to tough it out.  But I have a lot of sick leave, so I don't worry about it too much.  I've also been lucky and I don't get sick too often (knock on wood)!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • the way i see it - if i can't function properly and do a good job - i stay home.  I also stay home if I've got something that is bad and others can catch it- bc I know i get pissed off when people show up at work and are really sick.

if i have a stomach bug at all - that's automatic stay home b/c i usually can't make it off the bathroom floor with that :)

if i just have a cold and i know i'll feel a lot better after taking some meds- I'll do that, start getting ready and then go to work if i'm feeling a little better from the meds... but if not- then i'll stay home.  that's very rare though.

• imageEastCoastBride:

A mild cold, I'll work through. But by and large, if I dont' feel good, I stay home.  Usually the first day of a cold, I'll stay home.  I've found that if I stay home and rest, I get better faster.  If I force myself to work through it, I'm sick longer.

this!!

and thankfully, we had 10 days a year (by law) to be absent if DD gets sick, so I don't mind to take sick days for myself..

plus..  I still need to take care of DD, so I'd better be healthy & rested

• this is a tough question b/c it really depends on how I'm feeling. At this stage, I'd probably go in no matter what, and save all the days for when LO needs me if he is not well. Also, if I'm sick, I don't want to be home with LO and get him sick.....so I'd probably do whatever I could to get out. I think the cutoff would be if i had a bad fever or in serious pain/discomfort. Then I'd stay home.
  • imageEastCoastBride:

A mild cold, I'll work through. But by and large, if I dont' feel good, I stay home.  Usually the first day of a cold, I'll stay home.  I've found that if I stay home and rest, I get better faster.  If I force myself to work through it, I'm sick longer.

This - I'm no martyr - its easier most of the time to just stay home one day, take it easy and then you are over whatever quickly.  No one wants my germs or wants to hear me hacking up a lung all day either. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • If I'm sick enough to be contagious - or if I didn't get more than 4 hours of sleep the night before b/c I was up all night in the bathroom...that's when I'll call in sick.  We get 5 paid sick days per year.  But if we don't use them we can accumulate them up to 60...which is nice!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I rarely truly call in sick. If I am not feeling well or am contagious, I will work from home. I'm lucky to have that flexibility. I will only call in sick if I am not capable of even working at home - i.e. bad fever, vomiting, anything else where I am unable to focus. I've only had to call in sick a handful of times in the 4+ years I've been at my company.

• If I simply cannot function.  That has happened on occasion with a really bad cold but usually we're talking stomach flu.  It takes a lot of catch up so even when I am really sick I tend to at least take a call or two if there is anything urgent scheduled.  I do work from home when I am sick so I can at least take calls and work on my laptop while lying on the couch.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• imageAmyCC1980:

Before DD I had no problem calling in sick when I had a bad cold, but now I tough it out unless I have something really horrible like a stomach flu or I am so ill I really can't focus on the computer to work.  It's terrible because I know I am probably exposing some of my co-workers to my colds but I feel like I have to save my sick days for when DD is sick.  The good thing is that if I am feeling lousy my boss will often let me work from home.

This

Since being back from maternity leave I've only called in sick 3 times. Twice DD was sick and I stayed home with her and I was sick once. 

I just recently moved to a new position, and I can work from home if needed. Previously I could not work from home. I don't get extremely often, but I'll probably work from home if I'm not feeling great.

I'm hoping when DD is sick, I'll be able to work from home a few hours those days, and finish up after DH gets home. I'm salary so my "hours" don't matter as just getting my work done by my deadlines. 

• ::hi huzzy::

in the last 4 years, I've called out 4 times - the first 3 days in a row was 104 fever with shingles (actually was hallucinating) and once when I was 38 weeks pregnant and swollen with vision changes.  Other than that, I have to go to work with any other condition, including puking, colds, etc.  The nature of the medical beast.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"