Infertility
Options

PCOS IUI girls

What meds have you done with your IUI's?

My old RE refused to do any meds other then clomid with me b/c he doesnt use femera. He said that I would probably over respond to injectables and my IUI's would have to be canceled. I am just wondering what other RE's say since I am meeting with a new one next week. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PCOS IUI girls

• Options
    Do you respond well to clomid?  I am curious why your RE wouldn't use femera and automatically assumes you would over respond to injects.  Is there a reason for that assumption?  My RE will start with clomid, then move to femera and then to injects unless there is a reason he thinks one drug should be skipped.  Good luck with your meeting next week with the new RE. 
    Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • Options

I did one IUI with Clomid and I've done 2 IUIs with Follistim (attempted a 3rd but it was canceled because an unrelated emergency surgery). I'm highly monitored while on Follistim and I'm on a fairly lose dosage (150iu--started out on 100) and I've never overstimmed. My first cycle I had 1 good follie, the two cycles on 150 I've had three good follies. But we also have/had MFI so my RE allows us to continue on with 3 follies.

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• Loading the player...
  • Options

After trying Clomid (which I didn't respond to), I was on Femara (which I liked and responded to) and then injectables (ended up Follistim 150iu, with no over-response at all, they were great cycles). 

Is your RE not doing Femara b/c of the old studies linking it to birth defects?  If so, that isn't a good reason - the study wasn't very well done.  Many PCOSers use injectables, they just start at a low-dose like most other people and then the meds are adjusted accordingly.  There's no reason, necessarily, to believe that you'll definitely over-respond just because you have PCOS.  Not if it's done right. 

HTH!

• Options

I responded slowly to 50mg of clomid with just 1 follicle measuring 17mm. We increased it to 100mg of clomid and I had a larger follicle sooner but still just one. I know with IUIs you really only want 1 follicle maybe 2. So its not like I over responded to clomid.

So far in a year of medicated cycles I have taken clomid 5 times. I have heard that they dont like people to use clomid more then 6 times b/c of the risk of ovarian cancer. He does not used femera at all b/c it is off label use. I really felt like he was pushing me into the IVF direction prematurely hence me seeking a second opinion.  I just wanted to make sure that I am not being unreasonable in my expectations.

• Options

Clearly the wine has gone to my head..that should say I'm on a fairly LOW dosage..not lose dosage.

Good gracious, I need to get it together. 

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• Options
    imagemadelyn07:

Clearly the wine has gone to my head..that should say I'm on a fairly LOW dosage..not lose dosage.

Good gracious, I need to get it together. 

Hehehe I had to limit my bumping the past few days since I was on valium. God only knows what jumbled mess I would have posted LOL. 

We have MIF too so I would be happier with 3 follies IMO.

• Options

I am doing my first IUI next week, and am on Femara + Follistim this week. GL with your new RE!!

TTC since 8/09
    DX: PCO, ENDO, High NK, MTHFR
    8/10 = Lap to remove Endo

2 Femara TI, 3 Follistim IUI = BFN & 1 c/p
    IVF #1 - BFP - boy/girl Twins!

Ben and Reese born at 34w2d!
  • Options
    imageBMWwife:

I responded slowly to 50mg of clomid with just 1 follicle measuring 17mm. We increased it to 100mg of clomid and I had a larger follicle sooner but still just one. I know with IUIs you really only want 1 follicle maybe 2. So its not like I over responded to clomid.

So far in a year of medicated cycles I have taken clomid 5 times. I have heard that they dont like people to use clomid more then 6 times b/c of the risk of ovarian cancer. He does not used femera at all b/c it is off label use. I really felt like he was pushing me into the IVF direction prematurely hence me seeking a second opinion.  I just wanted to make sure that I am not being unreasonable in my expectations.

Well I think it's always good to get a second opinion, especially if you aren't feeling 100% sure about your treatment plan.  Maybe the 2nd RE will give you some better insight on what other strategies you could try and what the benefits would be (given your exact situation, background, etc).  G/L with your consult!
  • Options
    Funny how much RE's differ... mine doesn't use Clomid b/c of effects on your lining and only uses Femara since he's seen good effects with it.  He will have me start with Femara for 2-3 cycles, then injectables (Follistim I think) for 2-3 cycles, then IVF would be considered.  We have no MFI, I have PCOS/annovulation, hypothyroidism, and endo.
  • Options

Clomid but I did not respond very quickly and my lining was thin.

This time we did follistim and I did respond VERY quickly and produce four follicles on a pretty low dose.  We were ok with that though since we are also MFI.

I think injectables are def. an option you just need to be very closely monitored.  GL to you!

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • Options
    I did 4 IUIs with injects and I have PCOS and I was actually a slow responder to the drugs, believe it or not. I agree with pp - if you are monitored, it should be fine.
    After 2 losses, IVF #2 brought us our little boys.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Now we're waiting on our miracle baby ... a little GIRL!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hey sweetie! I'm sure I've told you my story 1000 times.. My old ob didn't like clomid b/c of s/e especially on lining, so we went straight to femara. He actually liked the off label reasoning because he said it helped patients w/ no IF coverage get treatment. We used gonal-f or follistim for all 5 of our IUI's. We spent about a year or so messing w/Repronex but it didn't work well for me, it was actually counterproductive since it has LH and all I needed was FSH. Good Luck at your second opinion, and I hope your feeling better! Been thinking about you!
    TTC# 1 Since 10/2005----Diagnosed with PCOS March of 2006
    multiple failed cycles, multiple IUIs, lap with ovarian drilling 4/2008
    Finally BFP on 11/23/09 beta#1=36 beta#2 =62 beta#3=139
    Liliana was born on March 27,2010 at 21w5d due to infection and pre-term labor
    BFP #2 on 6/20/10 after Gonal-F and TI First u/s showed Twins! 
    TTC#2 since 02/2012 with out RE... 
    Back to RE 08/2016----- Cycle #1 10/2016 Femara 7.5mg=???
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    My RE doesn't like using Clomid because of the lining issue and the side effects - he'll use it only if you're over a certain age.  I've been on Femara for 2 cycles and they have produced 2 good sized follicles and the side effects have been very limited.  Plus since we are OOP for IF treatments, insurance covers the Femara because of it's other usages - which is fantastic!  GL with your consult!
  • Options
    I never responded to clomid. But when we added in follistim at a VERY low dose I hyperstimmed and ended up with OHSS. My IUI was canceled and I didn't do another IUI because of the risk of HOM. With the canceled IUI I had about 40 follies. So there is a risk of this happening. I will add that I have very sensitive ovaries when it comes to injectibles.  I also think a second opinion is a great idea. GL!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options

imagerachel06:
    With the canceled IUI I had about 40 follies.

Surprise  Holly follies!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"