Special Needs

rubinstein taybi's?

Hello there this is my first time posting here. I am not a mother to a child with special needs but my best friend/Brother hasrubensteins. I wanted to see if there was any one else that had a child with this syndrome. My brothers mother(my SM) took her life when he was young, so he lives with my elderly grandma. I wanted to hear other stories, my brother is my light, since being in school he has learned so much. He is 9 years old and really starting to break out and develop. He is using some complete sentences, using his imagination and starting to read and write. He has some behavior issues that have alot to do with my grandmother.I Just wanted to see if there was anyone else here that a child with RTS. 

Re: rubinstein taybi's?

• Oh no it was not intended to hurt any mother. My brother has never had a mother. My grandmother is a push over and has never disciplined him. She is 77 years old, the behavior is apart of the condition, but it would not be near as big of an issue if he had a true parenting relationship with some one. She simply ignores his bad behavior and some times condones it. Say he goes and pushes a child down, instead time out, it is "Oh he does not understand," which he fully does she dose not believe he does. If he is in my care and he hits or throws a fit he sits in time out, since he vocal I make sure he knows why he is in time out. He knows, my grandmother under estimates him. 

I in NO way saying that other Mothers are the cause of their child's behavior.  My precious brother is in a very crappy situation, it saddens me. My father is to big of a loser to take care of him, his mother is dead. I only hope that one day My older brother or I can give him a better home. Just hope he can keep living with my Nana until we get out of college. 

• Yeah the situation sucks. If i had the finical means to care for him my husband and I would. My mother (not his mother) I am sure would step in and care for him, while my DB father sat back and enjoyed the easy life. Now my nana is very active and healthy but I am getting worried. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"