Special Needs

I feel silly posting this here BUT

I posted this last night on 12-24 after reading another post about ppl on not taking food allergies seriously and let me start out by saying just took my Bean had to see an Allergist because she went into anaphalactic shock *sp* because she ate a few M&M's (plain) out of a bag of trail mix.  They had the oil/dust of the nuts on them an it cause this reaction within MINUTES. 

No one in my family or my DH's family have food allergies and Bean was breast feed for 11 months and now we own SIX epi pens so that EVERYONE that watches her can have one.

Peanuts, Pecans, Almonds, Walnuts, Sesame Seeds, Cat Hat, Dog Dander, Cashews, Clams, Codfish, Tuna, Soy & Egg Whites

Those are all of the things she is allergic to.  It is incredibly difficult right now because our entire life has to change because of what she can and CAN NOT eat.  

I am having a difficult time knowing where to look and what to do to find things that she will actually like eating :( any tips?

I know this isn't as serious as some of the "special needs" on this board an my heart goes out to those of you, my nephew has a high functioning form of autism (I don't really know any specifics sorry) but hes my favorite little boy, I was his nanny M-F 7-7 for the first year of his life and he is now one of the happiest little 3 year olds I know.  Here he is with "his baby" as he calls my lo at Kennywood this year.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I feel silly posting this here BUT

• First of all, you are not silly. This is probably the only board on the nest/bump, where you won't get flamed, ever. My ds is on a casein free/milk free diet, not quite what you are going through, but at first I was very overwhelmed with what he could and could not have. Anything new I buy at the store I have to look at the ingredient list, and typically they highlight in bold the most common allergens found in that specific food. After a while, you start to build up a menu and list of things you know are ok, and it gets easier. I have developed new meals and recipes that I use often because I know they are safe. So, initially it is hard, but overtime, it gets so much easier.
  • Not silly at all.  One boy in our neighborhood has a similar set of allergies, and his mom has told me that the soy allergy makes it really hard, as that is in so much food now.  She has had luck shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joes, as well as on-line.  She always brings snacks to our neighborhood happy hours, and at Halloween time delivers bags of safe treats for us to give her son when he comes trick or treating.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Over on the AP board we do have a weekly allergy check-in.  You can get some great advice, recipes, ideas etc. over there.  We have a milk/egg allergy, it was overwhelming at first but has gotten a lot easier in time.  Webmistress in particular might be able to help you out alot.  Her DS has a lot of allergies soy, egg, corn, and a lot of others. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You are not alone!!  Before my DS was diagnosed with an Egg allergy I never took it too serious.  Now I know how SERIOUS food allergies can be!  One thing I would check with your allergist on is how severly allergic your child is to all of the foods.  The first allergist I took DS to scared me to death and said he couldn't even have foods that were on shared equipment or things that were fried in the same fryer.  I wasn't convinced since DS had food items with egg in and never reacted.  I went and got another opinion and we were told that his allergy was low and he could have food on shared equipment and in the same fryer.  I remember the first year was really hard b/c I was always worried when we went out to eat.  You will be suprised as to how many resturant managers are clueless to food allergies!  We have found a few places like Red Robin and Outback that are always helpful and FULLY aware of how serious it is!  I have also found shopping at places like Trader Joes and Whole Foods to be helpful.  Those two places I think cater to this sort of thing and it is typically pretty clear on the packaging.  I am sure it is hard to grasp at this time but trust me it will get easier!  Feel free to page me is you have any questions.  BTW, might be a good idea to join a local Yahoo group for food allergies.  I found a lot of info this way!
  • check out https://kidswithfoodallergies.org

I'm an adult with severe, life-threatening food allergies to all of the top 8 allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, seafood, wheat, eggs, milk and soy) and several other things.

Yes, it's a major life change, and its hard. I was diagnosed with some at 14, more at 20, and even more at 29... so it was gradual, but it was still hard nonetheless.

KWFA is worth it. Their message boards are TOTALLY worth $25/year to use... you can find support but also info on specific brands, etc. 

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • I know there is a food allergy board on Baby center, maybe they have some good tips!

good luck

imageimage
    Max 4-08-08 and Michael 2-03-91 (19 years olds)
    image Both boys were born w/ hirschsprung's disease, you find yourself facing this dx, please feel free to ask me any questions.
  •  My son does not have a food allergy, but years ago I went to a therapy seminar for patterning and met a family whose son had a peanut allergy as well. They're son was a normal child until one day he ate a piece of chocolate a friend from school had given him and had a allergic reaction. By the time the paramedics realized he was having an anaphylaxis reaction and was receiving no oxygen from the CPR they were giving him, the damage had been done. When I met them, their son had been in a coma for over a year and had severe brain damage from the lack of oxygen. I always wonder what happened to them. 

I applaud you for taking your son's condition serious. 

• I know it seems so scary and overwhelming right now, but I promise, it will get much easier to find food for your DC to eat! My son is allergic to peanuts, treenuts, and wheat (and a handful of other random foods) and out of those allergies, the nut allergies have been easiest to avoid.

Do you have a store like Whole Foods near you? My most recent blog post (link in sig) was all about what my son can eat and I listed a ton of suggestions. While it was mostly focused on wheat free/gluten free, all of those items are also peanut and tree nut free as he is allergic to them too. A good majority of them are also dairy and egg free. It might be worth reading just because it will show you that there really are a lot of foods out there - you just have to find them.

Honestly, it is really quite easy for me to feed DS at this point. It has become second nature for me and DH. We've got our extended family/friends pretty well trained now too. :)

If you have any questions about allergies or our experience please let me know!

ETA: Here's the direct link to my post- https://www.themagicofmama.com/2010/08/gluten-freewheat-free-favorites.html  Also, we have a ton of EpiPens too. :) We leave one at DS's developmental therapy group/preschool, our house, my purse, my ILs, and my parent's house - that way, we don't ever have to remember to leave them with an individual when we drop him off and we will always know that he is covered.
  • You are not silly.  My daughter starts kindergarten tomorrow.  We received a note that one child has a SEVERE nut allergy.  All the kids in the class have  to wash their hands and face when arrive in the morning.  This will ensure limited exposure if they have peanut butter before school.  I cannot imagine the fear in the heart of that child's mother as she wonders if somehow there will be a reaction at school.  Your anxieties are real.  I have no help just wanted to let you know that there are people out here who are sympathetic.
    Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • Not, silly at all. DD & DS both had/have MSPI. Fortuantly DD outgrew @ about 16mos. So I had a long 16mos of breastfeeding w/ her. DS is 4 mos and I am back in the swing of the milk & soy free diet again. It is hard but I am fortunate that it is temporary for my family. Everytime I even think about complaining about how hard it is or how much I want something i cant have, I think of the kiddos like your who ave a life long health issue or like the kiddos on the SN board and their families who struggle everyday whit their SN babies who needs are more critical. God Bless you all!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"