Attachment Parenting

Heard some odd advice from a hospital pedi this week

My SIL had a beautiful baby girl last Wednesday!!!!  She had a rough labor and was an absolute trooper.  We spent most of the last week in MD visiting.  I am sad to be home :(

DH and I were there when the staff pedi came to do the first exam.  One of the things she said was "Don't forget, you don't have to jump up the moment the baby cries.  Crying babies lead to only 2 bad things.  #1. American Idol singers!  #2. Great swimmers.  I bet Michael Phelps did a lot of crying.  So don't worry yourself if your baby cries."  

I was shocked.  DH thought I was reading too much into it and the pedi was just trying to reassure my SIL because she had said she was a very nervous first time mom.  I still thought it was really strange to hear a pedi say that about a newborn.  I took it as letting your baby cry is okay but DH felt she meant they shouldn't panic if the baby cries.  I kind of wanted to ask her what she meant but didn't feel it was my place to say anything.  My SIL and BIL certainly haven't let her cry, they are doing an awesome job!

Re: Heard some odd advice from a hospital pedi this week

• Wow that was strange...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wait, am I a total idiot and am missing something or was that really a "funny" way of saying crying is good for exercising the lungs? 

So weird.  I'd probably let it roll off like your DH and assume the pedi meant something like "don't freak out, all babies cry and you're not a bad mom when yours does" but seriously, what a weird way to say that.

• Loading the player...
  • I take it as, "all babies cry and it's ok you're not failing as a Mum. Plus if you're on the toilet and can't get to your crying baby, again it's ok."

It took me until Lo was about 3 or 4 weeks old before I lost the guilt of, "you're crying and I'm on the toilet."

I still don't enjoy the experience of not being able to get to LO quickly, but I know she won't be damaged if she has to wait a minute. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I don't know.  You said she had a rough labor.  I think the doc was just saying if she couldn't get to the baby in 1.5 seconds not to worry about it.  Not that she should let her CIO.  BIG difference.
  • imageKateLouise:

I take it as, "all babies cry and it's ok you're not failing as a Mum. Plus if you're on the toilet and can't get to your crying baby, again it's ok."

It took me until Lo was about 3 or 4 weeks old before I lost the guilt of, "you're crying and I'm on the toilet."

I still don't enjoy the experience of not being able to get to LO quickly, but I know she won't be damaged if she has to wait a minute. 

This is how I interpreted it as well.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I got the opposite advice...my ped at the hospital said, "if he cries, he needs you, go to him immediately."  Later I read The Science of Parenting about how high cortisol levels in babies may be related to anxiety / depression in adults, so I was glad they gave me this advice in the hospital. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"