Pregnant after 35
Options

How far apart should I space my pregnancies?

I'm 34 now and TTC.  If I conceived this month (which I feeling really optimistic about) baby would arrive a couple months before I turn 35.  I was originally thinking I'd just be natural with my husband afterwards and whenever I became pregnant again, is when it would happen (in other words, not chart, but also not use any birth control).  But it could happen really quick.  Is that crazy?  I will be over 35 for second child.  Do you recommend trying for #2 real soon after #1 (because of the age) or waiting a couple years?

Re: How far apart should I space my pregnancies?

• Options
    I had my first at 36, it took 6 months ttc. I will have #2 at 39, I took only 2 months ttc. Age was not an issue at all.  Age never played a factor in my decision, it was DD and her allergies and being high maintenance, so I waited 3 years between kids. My grandmother had babies until she was 44
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ah if only it was this easy!! 

I started trying at 32 1/2 and will be 35 1/2 when my first is born. Because of my history and my age I won't be waiting long to try again unless I find that having a newborn is completely overwhelming which is entirely possible. I don't think being over 35 in itself is a huge risk factor. The odds of things going wrong aren't that much higher from year to year. For my age my odds of the trisomys was something like 1:350, but when I did the testing they were changed to 1:8:000 or so.

Good luck with TTC.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We went with the "we'll just see what happens" thing  and I got pregnant after only 2 periods, and while I was BF. Little one was 6 months old. I am a little nervous about having 2 so close in age (14 1/2 mos.) but I also didn't want to push the age envelope as I have several friends who had major conception issues after 40 and others with autistic children they had when they were older.  I will be 40 about one month after DD#2 is due. It really depends on how you feel and what you want. I think there are positives and negatives for every scenario but ultimately you and your DH will know what feels right.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had DD a month before I turned 35 and we decided to try again when she was 15 months and go for a two year gap thinking it could take a while. Got pregnant right away (still BFing and only had two pp periods in between). I've found having them close together to be somewhat crazy but mostly really good.
    Nadia Irene 8/13/07 Reid Owen 8/18/09
  • Options
    I am 37 and will be 38 when baby gets here.  It only took 2 months to get this baby made and we had never made a dilligent effort to make a baby before.  I think we will see how things go with this little guy before we decide to have another.  I don't want to have babies that are like 12 months apart!
  • Options
    mwdmwd member
    It only took 3 months to TTC with DS#1 @ 38, but it took 7 months with current pregnancy @ 40. My children will be roughly 2 years and a few weeks apart, if everything goes according to schedule, maybe closer. With the second, we didn't conceive until I decided that maybe one was enough. I guess have the first child, then decide how close you want to have the kids. DS is not a high maintenance child, but evryone is different.  Good Luck!   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We waited a year and a half after the first to try again. I wanted them to be about 2 years apart for my sanity, but still have them close enough in age to play together for a lot of years. Nothing ever seems to go as planned since we lost that baby, but I got pregnant the first time every single time. We're looking at them being 2.75 years apart or so now which is close enough.
    I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • Options

You said you are 34 and are TTC - when planning for baby #2 I would take into consideration how long it takes you to get pregnant with baby #1.  If you concieve right away - there shouldn't be any reason to rush into a 2nd pregnancy. 

I had my first two babies back to back at age 27 and 28.   Having my babies 15 months apart was challenging - they both wanted 100% of my attention, two cribs, two midnight feedings, etc....

I am 16 weeks away from delivering my 3rd baby - and I am 41. 

• Options
    I had my first at 20, my second at 22, my third at 40, and am pregnant with my fourth right now at 41. It took me a whole week to conceive each! I think two years apart is a nice spread. Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"