Natural Birth
Options

First time mommy...

I'm a first time mom and I've always known that I want a natural birth. My husband and I were going to sign up for Bradley classes, however, when we started doing our research and contacting instructors we found the classes would run between $350-$400! That is something we simply can't afford right now.

We bought a few books on the Bradley Method as well as a book that describes an "Active Birth" which promotes natural labor. My mom has had three natural births and the Bradley class twice, granted that was over 22 yrs ago, she still remembers quite a bit about the class.

My question is, how important is the class to first time parents who are planning a natural birth? We are having the baby in a hospital with a midwife to ensure that if anything goes wrong, we can use medical intervention if absolutely necessary. But I'm starting to get nervous that I will be unprepared and I don't want to have a panic attack when my labor finally starts. Any of you other natural mommy's wing it with some info. from a few books and a movie??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First time mommy...

• Options

I am a first time mom as well, so I can't attest to the outcome, but there are many moms on here who have done it the way you are proposing. There are many other methods that can be studied at home, such as hypnobirthing and hypnobabies (though I think the latter is more expensive, my hypnobirthing stuff was only $40).

It is always a good idea to arm yourself with knowledge from many sources, even if you do end up taking a class. I suggust Ina May's Guide to Childbirth as a great start. That book will open your eyes. Also, check around for other classes. Call any birthing centers in the area, talk to other MWs, and talk to other moms in the area. I wouldn't skirt around a class if its not Bradley...many of the ideas in all the methods run along the same lines, with tweeks here and there. Anything will help you feel more prepared.

Also, talk to the director of the classes. My hypnobirthing class runs at $250, but my birthing center does payment plans, lowers the price, does it for free--whatever will get the couples there, since they think it is the best way to prep for the big day.

Don't stress too much about "the day", I am sure you will go through it all with flying colors. After all, you have made the biggest decision already--to have a natural birth. That takes heart. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't do any classes and had a natural home water birth. I did, however, do ALOT of reading to prepare myself. I also had a doula who was absolutely invaluable in helping my partner and I prepare emotionally and mentally for the birth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it is completely doable. I didn't take any classes and had two natural births and one with very minimal intervention. Good luck!
    Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • Options

I just did an general ante natal course that covered all general information around labour/painrelief options/possible interventions etc.

I went natural except for using gas during the pushing. The gas was always something I was happy to use, however, and in hindsight I could have done without it and possibly would have been better off without it. So it wasn't a matter of me 'failing" at a natural birth because it was too hard and I caved.

So I think it's completely doable. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options

Hi Annie! Congrats on your pregnancy and awesome that you are doing the hard work of preparing the best you can NOW! :)

I think the education and arming yourself with the best chance possible is always the best option - but that education and armory can come in different forms than just a CBE class. Books, Videos (business of being born, laugh and learn, gentle birth choices, etc..),  Natural childbirth advocacy groups (like this one, API in your area, birth networks and birth circles, etc..), your choice of careprovider, and doulas.

Speaking of the last, have you looked into the possibility of hiring a doula? You could check your area for a doula who does reduced fee services or will offer their services for free/barter. Some student doulas (provisionals - working on their certifying births) will do it for free. And doulas are like childbirth educators, massage therapists, a close friend, and walking encyclopedias all in one. :)

Good luck and I think you will find great support and encouragement here. It is VERY doable, as other women have attested. :)

• Options

Congrats!  I am a 1st timer but imagine that with the right program, you could definitely do it on your own without a class.  I do suggest looking into getting a doula as PP said. 

We just started our Bradley class last Sun and were lucky enough that our instructor allows us to split the payments up & gives a 10% discount for birthing at the hospital we're birthing at, in fact she ended up giving the whole class the discount regardless of where they were birthing.  Our class is not as expensive as yours, but $275 did seem high for me.  If you cannot get into a less expensive class, I would definitely ready up on the Bradley method and then go from there with other methods.  I am sure that its all about the right combination of things that are going to work for you. 

Good luck!  Smile

• Options

When DH and I were preparing for #1, our childbirth class was taught by a Doula, with a strong emphasis on natural childbirth. It helped a great deal, but in the end it was a general childbirth class and not a Bradley/Hypno/etc birth class. And it was the only class we took. I've since had two all natural child births on my own (ie. without using any "method").

You certainly don't need a $500 class to do it naturally!! Good luck.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Gosh I must say that my husband and I really loved our Bradley Classes and our instructor. The book was good and very informative?what really helped us was the actual class. In class you practice the relaxation techniques. We practiced in class and at home. I really had to mentally prepare myself for a natural birth. Considering that I have a low tolerance for pain this class really helped. I was a coach for my 18 year old niece a few months ago who tried to ?wing it? at natural birth. She bought tapes, videos and books but did not attend a class. She had the full cocktail on the day she delivered. Had she had the class she could have very well had a natural birth. I would suggest asking a friend who has taken the class to help you and your hubby practice the Bradley exercises. I felt the class was honestly more for him and how to prepare him to help me. Good luck?it?s gonna be worth it! Natural Birth is the most amazing thing you will ever experience!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"