December 2010 Moms
Options

Binkie or no Binkie?????

Hello All!! 

I have a question. I read an article talking about how some mom's are refusing the pacifier that the hospital gives you for your baby.  I'm not sure what I think about pacifiers.  I know that most babies seem to use them, but is it a soothing method that we create and one that can be avoided???

I find myself really thinking about this because I was a thumb sucker.  My parents did everything in their power to get me to stop.  I finally broke my arm in Kinder. so I had no choice. 

Binkie or no binkie??? What are your thoughts?????

Re: Binkie or no Binkie?????

• Options
    I'm asking the hospital not to give her a pacifier because I don't want it to interfere with breastfeeding. I will make sure she gets a good latch and has the breastfeeding thing down before I offer a pacifier to her. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Pacifier all the way. We will probably take it away before he is 1 though. We aren't BFing, so it won't interfere with that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gabby will get one but not right away and not unless she really needs it... will be breastfeeding so will be the human pacifier to increase supply as much as possible.
    BFP#1 EDD 12/31/2010, Mommy's little girl Born 01/05/2011 Married My Love on 07/07/2012 BFP#1 EDD 08/14/2013. Suspected m/c 12/16/2012
  • Options
    I am very anti pacifiers- both for breastfeeding reasons and for having to wean them from them. DS never had a pacifier, but many of the children that I have been a nanny for have. If they are not introduced to the pacifier, they will find other ways to soothe themselves.
  • Options
    I'm determined to get the bf-ing thing down this time so I won't offer one right away just in case. After things are a go in that department, we'll use one. I didn't have any problems taking DD's away right after she turned 1.
  • Options
    Binkies help prevent SIDS so if DD wants a binkie I will offer one to her. DS had one and he weaned himself by 10 months.
  • Options
    DS refused a binkie until 6 months when I weaned him (he needed to suck something) and he still has it. I'm going to avoid the binkie this time around but if it helps calm and soothe my baby he can have one.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

DD#1 had one but she was a sucker. she always needed something to suck on. i didnt give her one til about a month old because i didnt want her hooked on it, but after we had to make a 35 mile drive to a wedding when she was 3 weeks old and i had to hold my arm behind me with my finger in her mouth to suck on the entire ride..... i decided to try one. she was the most content baby after that. she was also weaned off it in 1 night at about 13 months.

i have also seem babies that absolutely refuse one. so i think its kind of up to the baby for the most part.

either way you go... good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    yes, I plan on using one, but not after they are a year old.  weaning isn't as hard as you'd think, so long as you do it early enough.  I'm not super worried about it interfering with breastfeeding.  I, personally, think people worry too much about nipple confusion.  I've known plenty of babies who used pacifiers and bottles from birth and still breastfed normally....
  • Options

I'm not super against them and I'm not really sure if we'll use one. I've seen how hard it can be to get a kid off one, and I didn't really think about the possibility of it interfering with breastfeeding...so I guess I'll have to read more about them.

That said, I've registered for a pair of them just in case. 

• Options

Binky until 6-7 months only, it soothes them to have it, and it has been proven to reduce cases of SIDS.  Even my MIL who is anti-binky has come around after reading a little more about the topic.  

• Options
    Not a fan for multiple reasons. We won't be having them in our home and our hospital does rooming in only unless there are complications, so I will have total control over that situation as well.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageSchick'sChick:
    I'm asking the hospital not to give her a pacifier because I don't want it to interfere with breastfeeding. I will make sure she gets a good latch and has the breastfeeding thing down before I offer a pacifier to her. 

This. I'll have a couple in the house if it seems like she needs one after we have breast feeding going, but not before if I can help it.

• Options
    We will be offering LO a binkie. DS had one and I had no problem taking it away. Like my mom told me "you can take away a pacifier. You can't take away a thumb." I think that is so true and it would be a lot harder telling a child to stop sucking their thumb than just taking away a binkie.
  • Options
    We'll be using them if LO gets comfort from them.  "Nipple confusion" is one of those things that I only hear about on the bump; every baby I know IRL can go back and forth between breast and bottle (and binkie) without issue.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    Newborns have the natural sucking instinct, so I am all for them. It is soothing for them to suck, even if they aren't hungry. And don't stress about having a toddler addicted to a paci. My DS used a pacifier from day one and we weaned him off of it when he was 7 months old and it was no big deal.
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"