Multiples
Options

XP: carseats & preemies

Hey ladies - posted this on the preemie board too 

My twins were born last week at 36 wks weighing roughly 4.5 lbs each. Leo is still in the NICU, but Lucy has been home with us since Friday. 

We have Graco Snugrides, and they are installed with the latch system. The balance thingamabobber says they are at the right angle, however, when I put Lucy in her carseat, it seems like it's too "upright." When we drove home from the hospital, I sat in the back and held Lucy's head up the whole time. Otherwise it just drops straight to her chest. 

I've called two fire stations & a child safety advocacy group and nobody can get us an appt for car seat checks for two WEEKS! Obviously, that won't work. 

Anybody else run into this problem? Is it a preemie thing, or a car seat thing? Any tips? TIA

Lilypie First Birthday tickers twins born at 36 wks Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: XP: carseats & preemies

• Options
    We have that carseat and they sit upright.When we had the SUV I noticed it wasn't as upright as it is in the van now.  What the NICU told us to do was roll up blankets (light ones) and put it on the side of them it helps with holding their head up, also they can still breath if their head gets turned.
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I think that's pretty normal.  That happened to JR ALL THE TIME when he was a NB.  JR was born at 37w5d, was 7lb 1oz at birth. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had that problem and my DD wasn't even a preemie..  the car seat person told us to roll up a towel and put it under the base (so it makes it more angled back) and that totally made her less upright.
  • Options
    ditto the rolled up towel. i think some cars seats are slanted too much. our odyssey and the equinox we had are perfect but the town and country im driving now has seats that slant funny. makes it very hard to get a proper recline.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Perfect! Thanks ladies
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers twins born at 36 wks Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are having the same issue with our car seats (Chicco Keyfit).  Especially with James, who is only 5lbs, 9oz.  My DH cannot stand seeing him with his chin on his chest, and hates to put him in the car seat.  I will try to towel trick - hopefully it works.
    BFP July 09 - m/c Aug 09
    BFP Nov 09 - c/p Dec 09
    BFP Dec 09 - A&J born in August 2010 at 37w, 6d
    BFP Sept 11 - ectopic pregnancy/left tube removed
    BFP April 12 - E born December 2012 at 39w, 1d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ditto the rolled up towels - I'm still using this for my boys at 8 weeks old.

My boys were born at 35 weeks and were under 5 lbs when we brought them home from the hospital.  The hospital we were at actually did a "car seat" test where the boys had to sit in the cars seats & be monitored to make sure none of their "vitals" dropped for 1 hour - they didn't do well and we actually ended up using (borrowed from hospital) car beds for the first couple weeks.  Although they were a pain (only fit in our larger vehicle and they don't use a "base" system, so you always have to take the child in & out of the seat itself) they worked out very well for us and I didn't worry about the boys being able to breath or not.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"