Northern California Babies

Baby Bedding Questions

Where did you get your bedding?

Do I need a $200 bedding set? what do I 'need'?

Do/did you use a regular bumper or a breathable bumper or none?

Bonus points if you PIP your nursery!

(we are going for modern... THIS is likely going to be our crib)

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
~~ married 8.11.07
~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~

Re: Baby Bedding Questions

• Where did you get your bedding?  DD bedding we got from Babies R Us online.

Do I need a $200 bedding set? what do I 'need'?  You don't "need" a $200 bedding set, but if it's the one you like and you don't care about price i say get it.  I did buy a bedding set with bumper, blanket, and crib skirt for DD.  I think i paid about $75 for it.

I didn't buy one for DS.  Poor kid got to use DD's.

I used a regular bumper for both kids.  I used it in DD's crib for about 8 months, until I knew she wouldn't bang her head against the sides...DS still uses one.

• We didn't buy a bedding set.  I really didn't see the point. when DS is bigger and has his big boy bed, we'll get bedding.

We have a breathable bumper (which I'm glad we have...now that DS can roll over onto his stomach, I routinely find him sleeping on his stomach with his face up against the bumper), crib sheets on the mattress and that's it.

My MIL made a crib skirt out of the same material that we used for the window valance in his room...other than that there's nothing on the crib.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't want to spend a whole lot on bedding, since the only thing we'd want from it would be the crib skirt. We're not interested in the other things like a quilt or even bumper since we are going with a breathable bumper.  So, my mom and I decided to make a crib skirt.  The fabric for that cost about $50 and we'll buy the breathable bumper and sheets separately.
  • Ours is from PB.  I wanted something super simple.  The sheets are pink polka dots and the bumper is pink stripe.  We have the Graco Lauren crib and the bumper does not fit it.  It's a pain to rig every time we change the sheets.  It is just a regular bumper and we got rid of it but realized Char liked to sleep with the top of her head against it (when she started rolling/moving) and slept better with than without.  Love the crib.  You might have a hard time with regular bumper ties since there are no slats on two sides of the crib.  Or maybe they make special bumpers for those kinds of cribs.

We have 3 sheets but I think we only needed two.

Also, make sure you get a couple of sheets for your pack n play if you get one.

ETA:  The PB cribskirt also fit weird so I got rid of it because it didn't look right and once we lowered her crib to the bottom you could hardly see it anyways.

• Where did you get your bedding? We got our bedding at Babysupermall.com

Do I need a $200 bedding set? what do I 'need'? We just bought sheets.  I also purchased a few blankets, but those are for the stroller, or for playing on the floor, not for sleeping. I didn't want the sheet sets because I didn't want a bumper, or crib skirt, or window ruffles, and didn't need matching blankets.

Do/did you use a regular bumper or a breathable bumper or none? None

I love your crib choice- tres chic! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • All we have needed was the crib sheet (we got 3, which is nice for when one is in the wash you always have a backup just in case) and the breathable bumper, and we got a crib skirt.

We didn't want the blankets because I am not a "hang the decorative blanket on the wall" kind of person and because I knew people would give blankets at the baby shower (and boy did they!!! they are all more gorgeous than any bag set I found).  So when EJ is ready for a blanket...many many moons from now I will use those.  Until then he just uses sleep sacks.

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We just bought sheets and a breathable bumper. I didn't see any point in spending money on a quilt that can't be used for baby and cute bumper that is potentially a safety hazard.
    Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • I found our set from diapers.com. I initially wasn't planning on getting a bedding set at all, just sheets...but then I saw one too cute to resist, and organic, and on sale ($130). All this because I was just doing a search for sheets.  Anyway, it came with a regular bumper which I hope isn't an issue later on down the line.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • You defnitely don't "need" a bedding set. You need sheets and that's about it. That said, I had/have bedding sets for both kiddos because I wanted them. :)

We use/used regular bumpers. Got the bedding for DD at Babies R Us, and for DS at Amazon. Both were about $100 for the whole set (sheet, crib skirt, quilt, bumper). The quilt/comforter we've never used inside the crib, but I did use it a lot with DD outside the crib, I'd put it down on the carpet for play time or tummy time or whatnot. So it was definitely used quite a bit, just not in the traditional sense. A blanket would do just as well but I preferred the weight of the comforter, especially when she became a little more mobile. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • OMG, we just figured out this very issue last weekend. We decided against the whole set because in reality, we would have payed about $200 for only two things we would actually use - the crib skirt and the sheet. We were both anti-bumper (although they do look super cute) and the quilt/blanket did nothing for me.

So we got a breathable bumper, a crib skirt that we could color coordinate with any color/print of crib sheet, and 4 crib sheets (2 print, 2 solid).

The one thing to consider is the crib skirt and the bottom frame of your crib. I looked and looked till I found the style I wanted, but because our crib has a bottom decorative rail, it totally covered the cute pattern on the skirt. I didn't even consider this till I was at home putting in on, of course. So you may have to get a longer or shorter drop skirt depending on the crib. I can't tell for sure looking at the picture, but the bottom of the crib appears solid so that there is no space for a skirt to hang down towards the floor. So you might run into the same issue I did. I recommend getting an all-over patterned skirt so you don't miss out on the pattern if some of it gets covered up or one with a shorter drop. I got our skirt at PB Kids. All of their skirts have a 16" drop, so I had to shorten the front McGuyver style so you could actually see the bottom trim.

• Another thing I should note is that we are choosing to make the crib skirt for some of the same reasons abfabmama mentions - so that you can actually see the skirt and so that it "kisses" the floor no matter what level the mattress it at.  I'm utilizing the space under the crib for storage.  Kind of like this and this.
  • imageSJBride05:
    Another thing I should note is that we are choosing to make the crib skirt for some of the same reasons abfabmama mentions - so that you can actually see the skirt and so that it "kisses" the floor no matter what level the mattress it at.  I'm utilizing the space under the crib for storage.  Kind of like this and this.

I just emailed my mom to see if she'll help me make a crib skirt. hopefully that will address any of the problems.

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • I never found a set I *loved*, so for me, a set wasn't necessary. All we really use is the fitted sheet (bought 2) and a crib skirt (but now that the matress is all the way down; a crib skirt is useless on our crib). I bought both online from Amazon (plain off-white color, organic). We use a breathable crib bumper. I started with no bumper, but DD thrashes around a lot in her sleep and got a leg stuck, then an arm stuck. :) I got the breathable bumper at BRU.

We don't use blankets yet, just the sleep sack.

My advice is that if you find a set you love, get it. If not, a set wasn't really necessary and there were really only two key pieces we needed...the fitted crib sheets.

• imageladipale:

imageSJBride05:
    Another thing I should note is that we are choosing to make the crib skirt for some of the same reasons abfabmama mentions - so that you can actually see the skirt and so that it "kisses" the floor no matter what level the mattress it at.  I'm utilizing the space under the crib for storage.  Kind of like this and this.

I just emailed my mom to see if she'll help me make a crib skirt. hopefully that will address any of the problems.

Young House Love has a no-sew tutorial that looks pretty easy too. :)

• My mom bought the set for us.  I use the quilt as a wall hanging.  Since Q doesn't roll around at night, the fancy bumpers are still on.  The crib skirt is on but it always gets caught up in the drawer.

You really just need sheets

• Where did you get your bedding? I think I got it through bed/bath/beyond

Do I need a $200 bedding set? what do I 'need'? What we needed was, crib sheet, bumper and dust ruffle. What we got: crib sheet that we don't use (not soft, must buy ultimate crib sheet for winter baby) dust ruffle, crib bumper, diaper stacker and blanket.

Do/did you use a regular bumper or a breathable bumper or none? We use and still use a crib bumper. Its not breathable.

https://lindsyskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/01/nursery-pictures.html

• imageladipale:

Where did you get your bedding? We bought everything at BRU.

Do I need a $200 bedding set? what do I 'need'?  No.  In fact, we didn't get a set because we wouldn't be using most of it...we wouldn't use the bumpers (SIDS risk), we wouldn't be using the quilt (not to sleep with or to hang on the wall) so the set would have been a waste for us.

Do/did you use a regular bumper or a breathable bumper or none? Breathable.

Bonus points if you PIP your nursery!

(we are going for modern... THIS is likely going to be our crib)

• I didn't buy a set, I bought fitted sheets from Baby Gap, and made my crib skirt using a McCall's pattern.  I made it to fall do the floor and cover up boxes of clothes too, just like pp. 

I spent way too much time creating what I thought would be a perfect sleeping space for DS.  And he never ever spent a night in his crib, which is now dismantled in our carport.

:)

Here's a picture of it in it's glory before he was born.

• We bought the sheets and breathable bumper and I made the skirt and quilt (along with other coordinating nursery items)  Making the skirt was super easy and the possibilties are endless, we found the most perfect print we could imagine and it was way less expensive.  The quilt was just for the heck of it and he's yet to use it although It is folded at the foot of his twin bed now.

Here's the crib in it's heyday, I pulled the green of the bumper and the blue of the ocean paint into the quilt to make it all go together, 

More nursery pics, https://sites.google.com/site/babyjohnson8808/nursery

• We have a very modern design sense and went with this crib set - https://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=167&f=4384

We still love it.   We stopped using the bumper around 5 months or so for safety reasons, and stopped using the skirt around 6 months once we lowered the crib.   I have no qualms using the blanket in the crib as an extra layer if it's chilly (DS is in a sleep sack).   These days he sometimes gets instead of the sleep sack for naps.  

Dwell has a line of modern crib bedding at Target that's reasonably priced and really cute.  

FWIW, I wanted to buy a pricey crib as well (the Oeuf - https://www.allmodern.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=OUF1020), but instead splurged on this wonderful modern glider which I use each and every single day - https://www.montedesign.net/modern_nursery_glider.html.  I figured I would use the glider much longer than DS would use the crib - and could use it in other rooms of the house afterwards.   We ended up going with the DwellStudio for Target crib -https://www.target.com/DwellStudio-Target-Silver-Convertible-Natural/dp/B001PBLIGI/ref=sc_ri_1?ie=UTF8&node=3145001, which is modern looking and was MUCH cheaper than the Oeuf.  ;)

Good luck!  It's so much fun outfitting the nursery! 

• Where did you get your bedding?

I didn't find anything that was quite what I was looking for, so we had it custom made.  (Blanket and crib skirt)

Do I need a $200 bedding set? what do I 'need'?

Well, if you're us, you don't need anything for the crib.  DD is still sleeping in her pack 'n' play, and her nursery is sitting unused except for the occasional nap.

Need = Sheets and a sleep sack

Not needed = Bumper, skirt, blanket

For safety reasons, we decided not to use a bumper, but she's been getting her legs stuck between the slats and screaming bloody murder, so we just bought a breathable bumper about a week ago, but we haven't used it yet.

Because of the style of crib, you can't even really see the bed skirt:

image.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Kyva doesn't have a nursery - she's just in a corner of our bedroom, so we didn't feel the need to buy a whole bedding set. Plus, my BFF's mom made her a gorgeous quilt which is way more special than anything I could buy. We just got the breathable bumper and a few crib sheets that coordinated with the quilt. Here are a couple pics of "Kyva's Korner":

Closeup of the sheets we chose:

• We found our bedding from kidsline, but did not buy the set.  We bought the pieces we could actually use, safely.  The bumper is not recommended, and the quilt would only be used as a wall hanging, so we felt the "set" was a waste of money.  You 'need' a fitted sheet, and that's it.  What we got was the fitted sheet, valance, wall hangings, lamp, hamper, and mobile.  We never got any bumper of any kind, and use Halo Sleepsacks instead of any kind of loose blankets. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"