Northern California Babies

Does/did your 6 month old enjoy eating solids?

DD is not happy eating solids lately, and I don't know if it's a phase, or she's not ready or what.  I've read that you should offer a food 10 - 15 times as it's a new sensation, texture, etc., and we've tried some foods that many times, and she seems less interested now than she was a month ago.

If we sit there for 30 minutes, she'll maybe eat 1 tablespoon before getting too upset to continue eating.

She's had avocado, apple(sauce), baked peach, sweet potato, butternut squash, banana, rice cereal, oatmeal, prunes and pears.

She's in the 5th percentile for weight, and the Pedi is having us check in a few weeks since she's not gaining well.

Does/did your 6 month old enjoy eating solids?  Did it take a while?

What were his/her favorites?

That got longer than intended...thanks in advance!

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Does/did your 6 month old enjoy eating solids?

• The first time we offered rice cereal, he gobbled it up.  I thought, "score, this is going to be easy!" Since then, nope.  Not rice cereal, not oatmeal, not avocado, not (really) banana.  I've been having daycare give him rice cereal since they keep telling me he eats his bottle and is like "what's next" and I cannot send bigger bottles...it takes me 2 pump sessions at work to JUST make enough for one bottle (he takes a 7 oz and a 5 oz)

I'm going to start sending other foods to daycare and we'll see if he takes something.

• Nope. Not even a little bit. He sees food and clams up. If I hand him the spoon with food on it, he flips it around and shoves the handle in his mouth. If I try and push the issue of eating off the spoon (touching it to his lips so he gets the flavor) there is huge tantrum.

Solids aren't worth the melodrama to me, so we're backing off until he's interested.

I offer things, though. He was really interested in the mesh teether until he realized there was food in it.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • G had no interest and when we tried he got super gassy and uncomfy so we backed off until he seemed ready, when he was about 9 mnths.
    Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • At 6 months yes, DD was eating pretty solid meals. But she had been interested in eating for awhile.

However once she got her first tooth her interest significantly decreased for awhile. We just continued offering (sometimes nothing sometimes the whole jar) and the phase seemed to pass.

The baby food I did make didn't seem to interest DD. We used mostly Earth's Best purees. DD loved the apple butternut squash.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS did not like solids, though I though before I offered them that he was very interested.  He had been staring at us while we ate, reaching for our food, and moving his mouth as if he were chewing for quite a while before we tried oatmeal, which was a huge fail. Avocado was next a few months later and he tolerated it but was not excited.  He tolerated roasted, pureed sweet potatoes best but we only offered them sparingly for months.  He got into food most when he was about 10 months and by then he only wanted to feed himself finger foods. No purees or spoon feeding.  His eating in general has been in fits and starts like that ever since.

If you doc is worried about weight gain, I can't imagine that solid food is going to help that much.  Everything I read said that the small amounts a baby managed to eat are just for practice and that most of the food isn't highly caloric (though avocados at least have some good fats).  She'd have to eat a ton of solid food to gain weight I think. Is there a way to get more calories in her milk?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"