Stay at Home Moms

Vacation with 1 year old

Anyone been on a family vacation with a 1-2 yr old? We have 5 days, would like to drive instead of fly...we live in the philly subburbs. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated, TIA!

Re: Vacation with 1 year old

• I don't have location suggestions - although I think you can probably get a lot of cool places within 4-6 hrs - but wanted to say that driving trios with a 1-2 year old were some of the most fun things we did this past year. Don't have to be super efficient w/ packing & can go at your own pace. 

The first trip we took was a bit of a reality check as we had to be in the hotel after lunch (or strategically have a driving plan) for nap & then w/ childcare, we were all back in the hotel each night by 9 or 10.  But once we accepted that this is the new way things go, we adapted easily.  
    have fun!!
  • Honestly- we did williamsburg, VA and it was a WONDERFUL week long trip. was the EASIEST vacation we have done in a LONG time.

So much to do- great for a 1 year old. (colonial williamsburg, busch gardens, wineries, yorktown, VA beach, water country USA etc) There is a really nice time share rental about 5 min from all of the attractions- was really nice to have a house with a full kitchen/dining room so we didn't have to worry about eating out for all the meals. plus they had a heated pool (and outside pool)- on the grounds. Was also nice to be able to put DD down for bed and then go out in the living room and watch TV/hang out- there was also a deck with a grill on it and we could sit outside. Plus we got a hot tub in our room-

The time share rental was less than 100.00 a day- so REALLY reasonable- really close to the grocery store too. From Philly burbs it was a five hr drive- so totally doable.

If you want- PM me and I will find the info on the timeshare location we rented. There was no pushy 'buy into the timeshare' crap. They did ask if we wanted to sit through a presentation and that would give us another free rental at any of their other locations- and we simply declined- and they were cool with that.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We rented a beach house this year for a week.  I thought it worked out really well.  We had all the amenities to make for an easy transition for DD - a kitchen, DD had her own room, and space for her toys.  She loves running along the shore, playing in the sand, and going in the water with us.  Plus there were a ton of playgrounds around for times when we were over the beach.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My SIL is on vacation now with her 11-month-old.  They live in Pittsburgh and drove to the Outer Banks for the week.  Everything seems to be going great for them.  They rented a house with her mom and drove down at night when the baby was sleeping. 
  • Don't have any location suggestions around that area but we went to the beach last year and it was a lot of fun. DS was 26 months and DD was 9 months. They did well in the car and were very content playing in the sand and water. We have a timeshare so we had a condo with a full kitchen which was great...it made it much easier to have drinks, snacks and even breakfast, lunch and some dinners available in our condo.  Also we could put the kids down for a nap/bedtime then hang out in the living room or on the balcony. I highly recommend a condo with a kitchen and separate rooms if possible.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I have been back and forth to the South Jersey shore (Sea Isle and Longport) all summer and both kids love it.  Ocean City has a great boardwalk, but I prefer to stay in one of the smaller towns and just drive over to the boardwalk.  OC gets really crowded

Against my better judgment, DH has convinced me to give the Outer Banks a try.  We are leaving for a week long family vacation in a week and a half.  I am sure it is lovely, but it is just such a long drive and I am not a family road trip in the car kind of person.  We'll see how it goes...

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I grew up in South Jersey and live in VA now. I second PP's suggestion of Williamsburg. Our drive home is about 6 hours and is very doable with our 1 year old. You can also do a day trip to the beach from Williamsburg.

I also think the shore is a great idea too. LBI and Sea Isle are very nice. Ocean City might not be too bad since it will be after Labor Day.

• We live in the Philly burbs too.  I think you can really go anywhere that caters to kids (i.e., isn't too fancy).  When DS1 was one yo, we went to Puerto Rico and we all had a blast (though he doesn't remember).  Every year we go to Hershey Park and stay at the Hershey Hotel and we always have a great time, but IDK @ 5 days.... Maybe Virginia Beach?
    Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"