Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Bumgenius Help

I am having all kinds of issues/questions regarding my bumgenius (OS and AIO), so I'm gonna get them all out at once!

They're ALL stinky (like ammonia at least, maybe poopy - even right after they're washed).   I had gotten a really good washing routine down (I have always used RnG) but since RnG had their recall, and I the replacement Hard Rock formula, things seem to have gotten worse.  I cold rinse poopy dipes.  Complete cold wash all diapers w/ about 1 T Hard Rock, then hot wash w/ two rinses and about 1 T Hard Rock - I almost always let this soak, sometimes overnight.  I also haven't been able to sun for about the same amount of time... they seemed to smell so much less when I was sunning them, but it's been raining like crazy, so no sun.  Could that cause the stink?  Or more likely the detergent?

On my OS dipes... will I ever be able to adjust the rise snaps back down again???  They've been completely unsnapped for as long as I can remember.  Are they really going to fit him for close to 15 more lbs?  He only wears them at night, so maybe when I don't need to stuff them w/ as much?  (two AFFF inserts and sometimes a thristies hemp insert)  Or are they just not going to fit forever?  What do I use after he outgrows them?

Okay... so I hate snaps, so we use aplix.  Um... what do you do when baby learns to undo the diapers??? 

I really LOVE bg and wanna get things back on track!  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage

Re: Bumgenius Help

• Options

What kind of smell is it?

As for the size, DD wore them until potty training at 2.5.  By then she was about 35 lbs and we had no issues.  Except for nightime.  We used AMP fitteds for night with the insert and AFFF hemp inserts, but even those stopped working and we resorted to pampers.  

• Options
    ETA - i added the stink info in the original post. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Have you tried adding vinegar to the first rinse for the ammonia smell?

If they smell poopy you need more detergent, they aren't getting clean enough.  

I found what worked great with BGs was adding a tbsp of bleach every other wash.  Not the most EFF thing in the world, but it really helped with the poop smell.   

• Options
    i believe the rng bag says to use 2-3 tbsp?  or do you have an he machine?  but it does sound like you need more detergent - at least for the poop smell issue
    my cool cat - er, bunny!

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    my bfp chart!
    our hippy baby blog

• Options
    My bGs have the poop smell too!  I cannot stand it.  I thought that it just meant that it was time to do a soak, but even after I did that they still smell like poop.  I've tried less RnG and more RnG, still smells like poop.  I've tried bleach, vinegar, Dawn, etc.  They still smell like poop.  Sunning doesn't get rid of the smell, though it gets rid of the staining.  I am just at my wits end on this and am so tempted to stop using cloth all together.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yes... I have an HE front loading machine.  I used bleach about a month ago because he had a yeast infection... they smelled cleanish (like bleach) for the first use and then were back to being stinky... actually more stinky than they were before.  Is it just that I've used them for enough months that I HAVE to use bleach to avoid the smell???
  • Options

the poopy smell (esp when they're just cleaned) makes me think you need to use more detergent... but then the ammonia sounds like build up... so maybe do some hot water stripping and then wash with more soap? 

i have the same problem with my OS diapers though, and like you, i only use them overnight.  i have mine super stuffed so i think that's the problem... as for what to do when baby can take diaper off... i guess you'll just have to put a pair of shorts/pants on over the diaper lol.  we're going to have the same issues haha.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageBoizmom:
    My bGs have the poop smell too!  I cannot stand it.  I thought that it just meant that it was time to do a soak, but even after I did that they still smell like poop.  I've tried less RnG and more RnG, still smells like poop.  I've tried bleach, vinegar, Dawn, etc.  They still smell like poop.  Sunning doesn't get rid of the smell, though it gets rid of the staining.  I am just at my wits end on this and am so tempted to stop using cloth all together.

i would try tide before you give up on cloth.  you might just need a different detergent instead.

• Options

I turn my BG AIOs inside out to wash them.  (I also rinse all of my diapers out before they go in the diaper pail.)   I feel like the MF soaker gets cleaner that way.  When they've gotten stinky in the past I do a strip with RLR and then add bleach to the load as well (1/4 cup for my top-loader).

I know it's not the most EF answer, but maybe RnG just isn't the right detergent for you.  I've read some that love it and some that feel it doesn't get the diapers clean enough.  Maybe try Tide or another detergent? 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yeah... I forgot to mention that I stripped them over the weekend w/ Calgon (even though RnG is supposed to be clean rinsing - I know we have hard water)... and then I did an extra hot wash (added two kettles of boiling water to the washer water.
  • Options

I know there's people out there that are tired of hearing me say this but.......try Tide.  Seriously, try it.  I was skeptical at first but after I tried what seemed like everything to get poopy and/or ammonia smells gone I just had to try anything that might work.  I wasn't going to give up on my cloth!!

Here's what I had tried so you don't think I didn't try everything......vinegar in the first rinse, vinegar as the softener, vinegar soaks overnight, oxyclean soaks overnight, bleach (which helped at first but didn't solve the problem) in the first rinse, bleach in the main wash, Dawn stripping and I think that might be it.  

• Options
    Curious - which Tide do you use?  We've been using sposies at night because DD is getting bumps from cloth (PF's).  I guess I should give it a try.
  • Options
    pretty sure it's the regular powder tide.  not the free & clear one, just plain ol tide.
  • Options
    I actually use the liquid Tide Free and Clear and it works great.  I have been cding for a couple months now and have BG pockets with fleece inside and BG Organics and no smell or other issues.  It has been difficult figuring out howmuch detergent to use but now I have it down to 1 tbsp during my cold prewash and just under 1tbsp during the hot wash with 2 extra rinses. HTH 
  • Options
    Another vote for Tide. Powder, original scent, HE version if you have an HE machine. Use slightly less than you'd use for regular laundry. Spankin' fresh diapers every time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"