Glucophage...poop central — The Bump
Trying to Get Pregnant

Glucophage...poop central

Hey...anyone here ever taken Metformin/Glucophage? I am currently on a crazy dosage to ovulate regularly and it makes me feel like I constantly have the flu...I'm really hoping it is the key to success though. Just curious to see if anyone else has been on it and if it worked for you?

Thanks!

Re: Glucophage...poop central

• I don't have any advice for you but I thought metformin was for diabetes?
  • Yep, what's your dosage? It may be a little late for this, but generally the best approach is to ease into it by starting with one pill a day and working up to your full dose. The GI issues should back off within a few weeks, though you'll probably have certain "trigger" foods the entire time you're on it. It didn't work for me, but I have pretty severe PCOS and never ovulate w/o injectible meds. I hear lots of ladies have success w/Met, especially those who just ovulate late. I do feel a difference in my body when I'm on it, though - my energy levels stay more consistent. I think it has to do with the blood sugars being regulated. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelilangelfac13:
    I don't have any advice for you but I thought metformin was for diabetes?

Metformin is also used to treat PCOS: http://www.advancedfertility.com/metformin-pcos-pregnancy.htm 

• Are you on the Extended Release version? Most s/e are not nearly as bad on that version of the drug.

DS 6.12.11

Hypermenorrhea, Anovulatory & Hypothyroid

TTC#2

My Lack of Ovulation Chart
  • imagekerrbear72:
    Are you on the Extended Release version? Most s/e are not nearly as bad on that version of the drug.

I was going to ask the same thing. I am on 2000mg of the ER. I couldn't take the regular kind at all.

• The first couple of weeks taking Met I felt sick all the time. Now I'm usually okay as long as I don't eat something particularly fatty combined with wheat. So no cakes, cookies, hamburgers, pizza, etc unless it's gluten-free or I want to be close to a bathroom for the next few hours (TMI?). Not sure why gluten is my trigger on Met, but it seems to be (Sadly. Gluten-free is not nearly as tasty).

However, it is worth it, as my cycles are still a bit on the long side, but I'm ovulating and they're getting shorter with each cycle. 

Good luck!

Suze
    TTC#1 since May 2009
    PCOS * Hypothyroid

Bean - BFP May 26, 2010. EDD Feb 3, 2011. Natural Miscarriage 8w5d - June 29, 2010.
    Pumpkin - BFP Feb 8, 2011. EDD Oct 21, 2011. Natural Miscarriage 6w3d - Feb 28, 2011.

Femera started November 2014. 3 rounds, no luck. Moving to IUI.
    March 2015: IUI#1 - nope.
    May 2015: IUI#2 - nada.
    October 2015: IUI#3 - BFP on Nov 2, 2015! *stick baby stick!*

• I am taking 4 pills a day (500mg)...I started with two a day for the first week...then 3 for the second week and now I am on 4 a day through 1st trimester if I conceive. I wasn't ovulating at all after I went off BC and my hormone levels were all wacky so not sure if this will be the ticket. I just wish it didn't make me feel so sick all the time! I hope my body gets used to it soon. Thanks for the advice!
  • I am on 1700 mg of met and 15 mg of actos and usually only get sick if i eat something really fatty. Sometimes I'll get sick on one food and then eat it again and be fine. I've been on the meds for about 1 month.

I will say that before taking the meds, I hadn't ovulated or gotten a natural period since before my wedding 2 years ago (went off bcp in Feb.). I started the meds on CD1 and actually ovulated on my own and had a 27 day cycle.

So, the meds do work for some!

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/212bla1.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1131e2.aspx[/img][/url]
  • Glad it worked for you! That is positive news Smile I started back in July and did not get a period this month...but the doc said that may happen. I go back in October to combine Met with Clomid if I don't get pg on my own. Thanks and GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards