High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Pregnancy Induced Hypertension ladies - question....

Do any of you have any "symptoms?"

I apparently have PIH... at least, for now, since there are no signs of pre-eclampsia......

But I don't FEEL like anything is wrong. I don't get ringing in the ears, extra headaches.... nothing out of the norm. I DO notice that when I get upset/mad, I get shakier than usual (like that adrenaline-pumping shakiness) but other than that, I don't feel that I have any symptoms. I'm seriously wondering if I am just suddenly suffering from "white coat" syndrome, or if maybe they're just not getting my pressures right. It's been coming up 130/90.... but my initial reading (the one that scared the crap out of the doctors and myself) was something like 158/110 (it went down FAST from that though - and in my defense, I was highly ticked off when they took that BP because they were over an hour late with my appointment!)

So.. any symptoms?

My Pinterest
~L~
Mommy to 2 boys, ages 7 and 5 and a little girl who is 1.5

Re: Pregnancy Induced Hypertension ladies - question....

• Options

That is why high bp is called the silent killer.  I've never had any symptoms of high bp.  Before they sent me to be induced with my first pregnancy, my bp was in the 180s/110s.  I was completely shocked when I heard how high it was.  It's good that your bp is coming down fast, but at the same time you don't want spikes of 158/110. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

High BP isn't something you usually "feel" is wrong. But having spikes of high blood pressure is affecting the quantity and quality of blood flow to your baby, so it needs to be taken seriously whether it's constant or not.

I had HBP and pre-e with my last pregnancy, and with bed rest my BP would be totally normal, but the second I sat up, or stood up, it would shoot up. That's not healthy for me or baby. So please do whatever your doctor is recommending, and take it seriously even if you feel you might have "white coat syndrome".

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When mine are high I get no symptoms, when its really high, I get hot.  Thats about it.
  • Options

Nope, no symptoms.  And I've had PIH twice now.  The first time it eventually turned into pre-e; we're still waiting to see with this one.  158/110 is not a pressure you should be getting, even angry.  It means your body can't control the pressures, and often they spike, and then get better, before they ultimately just stay bad.

I sometimes don't feel exactly right, like I'm out of breath or something, but I find that is not as much when the pressures are high as when they are fluctuating a lot during the day.  I actually feel better when they are consistently high.

"The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one." --Jill Churchill

Pre-e w/DD #1 -- now age four! GD and PIH w/DD#2 -- now age two! GD and unexplained third trimester bleeding with baby # 3 -- due Feb 27!
  • Options

I sometimes have symptoms, but most often don't.

I occasionally have floaters in my vision and headaches.  If that happens, I pour myself a big glass of icewater and lay down on my left side.  I know from my many hours of L&D monitoring that my BP will come down FAST if I lay down.

Last week, though, I was at a regular appointment and felt great. I was relaxed, happy, not stressed.  When they took my BP, it was the highest it had ever been (168/100).  So like PPs have said, you can't count on symptoms, because I felt really good that day.

My doctors have been monitoring me pretty closely. Twice each week, I go in to have stat pre-e labs drawn at the hospital. Then I go upstairs to the OB's office and have a non-stress test.  Then I see the OB and review the results of the labs and the NST.  This has kept me from being sent to L&D for endless hours of monitoring.  We've also done occasional BPPs. 

They are inducing me at 39 weeks due to my high bp.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"