Stay at Home Moms
Options

The Great Divide?

Do you ever feel like the relationship between some of your WM friends and you have taken a toll since you SAH?  I guess my question is-  Do you ever feel like there is a separation between you and your WM friends?  Do you feel like they have dropped you like a hot potato because you SAH?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: The Great Divide?

• Options
    Yes, but most friends I made while working were not people I hung out with outside of work much anyway.  I do get the occasional invite to meet some of them for lunch but it's about a half hour drive and a totally different experience trying to have an adult lunch with people who are child-less and don't get it.  I'd say a lot of it was my fault more than theirs just on the fact that I didn't keep up my end of trying to keep contact going.
  • Options

I'm going through this right now, as before I was a teacher. (this past June) And all summer they had "time" for me or were communicating with me. Now they are back to work and I feel a bit dropped. I know how crazy the beginning of the school year feels, but yesterday I my facebook status was:

Good luck to my former colleagues with your first day back with the kiddos! I'll be thinking of you today!

Responses:

Yea right

Ditto that

and:  I know you're trying to be nice, but shut up

Um ?!?????????????? really?????? You don't think that a) I might miss teaching, b) I didn't him/haw over this decision to give up my career and be a SAHM?  Really?  

So I'm taking a break from FB for a few days and just hanging out on my mom group board. I'll return to FB and chatting with my working friends when the beginning of the school year dust settles. Otherwise I'm going to feel left out or get my feelings hurt. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Only the people that I was only really friends with because of work. However I have plenty of good friends who are working moms and they do not act differently. It just takes more effort to see them than my SAHM friends. I have learned that if I want to stay in touch with someone, I need to put forth the effort. 
  • Options
    Yes and no.  It depended on the friend.  It's hard, but it is just one of those things.
  • Options

No, that doesn't happen in my circle of friends. I don't have tons of friends though.

The only difference is that we see each other less often.

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

For me- not really because I straddle both sides of the fence.

I do see my SAHM friends more obviously because I am more available during the day to do things. But I do enjoy meeting my WM out for a bite to eat or happy hour when they are done work.

Most of my mom friends are pretty laid back and we are all just 'moms' no matter what is done during the 9-5hrs. I am pretty lucky for that. That being said- i am sure there is jealousy on both ends to some degree (grass is always greener most days). They want to see their kids more and I want to pee in private. Just how the cookie crumbles! :) At the end of the day though- i am pretty lucky to have supportive friends both that SAH and work.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My best friend used to work with me and we're always doing stuff when she's off. I have two other friends who are kinda stand offish, I think most of that is jealousy that I can stay at home and they can't. It was kinda awkward when the four of us got together recently. But they'll get over it.
    Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options

Yes.  There has been serious difficulties.  But I think that it also has to do with parenting styles and not just the SAHM/WM thing.  DH and I are pretty AP and a lot of friends are the complete opposite so that has made it difficult.  But the whole SAHM thing is an issue as well.

One friend was upset with me because she wanted me to be her DCP and I told her I didn't want to do that full-time but would be willing to watch her on occasion.  She had a hard time respecting that I just wanted to be at home with my LO.  She wanted to know how I didn't get bored, what did I do all day, etc.  She has actually given me a hard about it multiple times.  I don't feel like the need to defend my lifestyle so we don't talk as often.

Another friend likes to go shopping a lot, go out to eat, etc. just basically spend money.  So that has made it hard because DH and I needed to cut back on frivolous spending for me to SAH and when I suggest we do things that are cheap/free she doesn't want to so we end up not doing anything. 

But I am willing to lose a couple of friends if I feel what we are doing what is best for our family.  Kind if sad but it is what it is.

Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Options

Yes. I hate to sound like I'm blaming "them", but I am. My WM friends treat me differently. I had one friend admit she was jealous of me staying at home and I have a feeling that is the problem with the ones that have pushed me away. I know my working friends are busy, but it takes them weeks to call me back, and they never call me first. When I do see or talk to them, all I hear is "It must be nice" comments. This has made me much more close to all the sahm friends that I have.

I read posts about moms who love working and don't mind daycare, but these aren't my friends. I wish they were happy with their situations because then I think we would be closer.

• Options
    imageericanandy:

I'm going through this right now, as before I was a teacher. (this past June) And all summer they had "time" for me or were communicating with me. Now they are back to work and I feel a bit dropped. I know how crazy the beginning of the school year feels, but yesterday I my facebook status was:

Good luck to my former colleagues with your first day back with the kiddos! I'll be thinking of you today!

Responses:

Yea right

Ditto that

and:  I know you're trying to be nice, but shut up

Um ?!?????????????? really?????? You don't think that a) I might miss teaching, b) I didn't him/haw over this decision to give up my career and be a SAHM?  Really?  

So I'm taking a break from FB for a few days and just hanging out on my mom group board. I'll return to FB and chatting with my working friends when the beginning of the school year dust settles. Otherwise I'm going to feel left out or get my feelings hurt. 

Um, your work "friends" sound like they really hate their job.  And the people that I used to hang out with FROM work have pretty much disappoeared.  But I expected as much.  They are busy and pretty far away from here.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    imageothello888:

I read posts about moms who love working and don't mind daycare, but these aren't my friends. I wish they were happy with their situations because then I think we would be closer.

I think this is a good point.  I have a group of 6 friends from college and I'm the only SAHM.  However, they all love their jobs and I love SAH, so we respect each other's decisions and it's a non issue.  And since we have such a long history, our friendships aren't based on being moms.

I truly have never felt any WM vs SAHM issues except on the Nest!  I am sorry if your friends are giving you a hard time, and nasty responses on FB (to the other poster) are just immature. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"