Working Moms

WM - How to do potty training with daycare?

My DS is nearly FT at day care. They've started potty training him in that they put him on the toilet with the other kids and he sometimes goes in the toilet. They asked that I bring pull ups. They told me i could start at home by putting him on every 2 hours and no pressure.

How did you do potty training at home?

I was secretly hoping they'd just send him home one day with a note that read "This boy doesn't need diapers or pull ups anymore. He's 100% potty trained and will tell you, in advanced notice and when you are near a bathroom in a public place, when he needs to use the potty."

Re: WM - How to do potty training with daycare?

• I don't know, but I'm totally dreading it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecarrie4g:

I was secretly hoping they'd just send him home one day with a note that read "This boy doesn't need diapers or pull ups anymore. He's 100% potty trained and will tell you, in advanced notice and when you are near a bathroom in a public place, when he needs to use the potty."

LOL- me too!!!  I've been dissapointed with our daycare b/c he was very close to being fully potty trained about 3-4 mos ago and then his lead teacher retired and since then, he has totally regressed and I don't see them doing anything to get it back on track.  I told one of his teachers this morning that I'm thinking of doing a potty bootcamp in a couple of weeks and she said she thought that was a good idea for him.  She says that he is just too comfortable going in a pull up and we are going to have to put him in big boy pants for him to totally "get it."  So... I guess we're going to do the 3 day potty training thing.  I am bummed b/c I really thought daycare would take care of this for me and it looks like I'm going to have to do it myself after all. 

• Loading the player...
  • Actually, daycare did 99% of the work. She moved up to the 2s class on a Monday, they started having her go with the rest of the kids each time (I think every 2 hours) and by that Friday night she refused to put on a diaper.  She said she wanted to be a 'big girl' like the other girls and that was that. She went straight to underwear that weekend, although I did pull ups at night for a few months.

It really was scary easy. I'm going to get screwed with DS I'm sure.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Ok - so at my daycare there is a "potty training' room.  It's from 27 - 36 months.  So they asked me to put him in pull ups from last Sept forward and they would work on potty training.  We asked at home if he wanted to go - most of the time he said no.  He would pee on the potty at school (never poop) but not ever ask.  The bottom line is that he was not ready for potty training at 27 months.  We did that for about 10 months and it was a complete waste for us - he thought he was a big boy because he wore pullups but they felt like diapers so there was no incentive to use the potty.  Once he was actually ready (about 3 years, 2 months), we had a little party to say bye bye to pullups and diapers and we spent a day naked and used the potty every 45 minutes.  We spent the next day in underwear and did the same.  He only had 2 accidents the whole weekend so we said let's go for it and he was in underwear from that day on except at night.  The first 2 weeks, he had a lot of poop accidents (a few pee but not many) and wasn't really asking but he'd hold it until we put him on.  The next 2 weeks, he had only one or two accidents in total, he asked to go every time and now he is dry almost every night.  So if you wait until they are ready, it is much easier.  Try it out and see if he's ready, but if he is treating the pullup like a diaper, don't waste your money, put him back in diapers, keep encouraging the potty and wait a few weeks before trying again. 
  • We mostly did it at home.  Lots of bare bottom time seemed to work for us.  we kept a potty nearby and rushed him to it if he started to go and htat helped make the mind/body connection.  Lots of practice staying dry at home, first for 20 mins, then longer intervals.  Lots of praise and treats for reaching each milestone on the way.  We did switch to pull ups once they got the concept down so that they could go on their own and start to learn the basics of how it's done.  Eventually when they were about 80% of the way we pulled the diapers/pulls ups and it went really well.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • if you really think he's ready - read the 3-day PTing book you can get online.  Really - it's GREAT.

putting your child on every hour or so just to "try" does not teach them what the feeling of having to go potty is like....  it's better to go boot camp style - have them ONLY in underwear - and the second they start to pee or poop=- get them on the potty.... that helps them learn what it feels like to have to go.

We did the 3-day with Griffin and on day 3 it clicked- and he has only had 2 accidents since then (that were my fault for not having him go before we left the house)... since April.   We put it on the calendar one long weekend and planned around it for a long time.

• imagecarrie4g:

That would be awesome! We aren't there yet, but I know our daycare starts them at 18 months. This potty training boot camp thing sounds good, though, we may do that when it's time.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ditto Goldie. We did bootcamp style for my son a little after he turned 2 over a long weekend, and he's been potty trained for months. HTH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecarrie4g:

Ha, ha!  Me, too!  DD just got moved to an older room and they're starting potty training with her.  Unfortunately, she barely wants anything to do with it at home.  Drag.  I'm hoping one day, she'll just love it and diapers will be a thing in the past. :)

• You need to figure out your game plan.  When I trained my son I started on a weekend and just put him in underwear during the day.  We went to the potty every 30-45 minutes.  We spent a lot of time in the bathroom.  He had a few accidents but consistency is key.  He also got a jelly bean every time he peed in the potty.  As for daycare you need to get on the same page with them.  They will work with you.  My son only wore a diaper for naps and at night.  That first week I sent lots of extra clothes for him and washed a lot that first week.  Within a week I not only had him day trained but night trained as well.  The key is consistency.  My son has been potty trained for 9 months and now just goes when he needs to or will tell me he has to go when we are out and about.

My daughter was a whole other story on potty training.  She just recently is potty trained.  We worked on training for a year before she really wore underwear during the day.  She still has accidents but is much better about going potty on her own.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"