Trouble TTC

Clomid poll

Out of curiosity for how unusual my situation is...

Before starting Clomid:

1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing?

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem?

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many? 

Mama to sunshine baby "J" 5.13.11 and angel baby "E" born still on 2.11.14
TTC our rainbow since April '14

Re: Clomid poll

• imagescootRN:

Before starting Clomid:

Yes, I had an HSG, CD3 b/w, 7dpo b/w, u/s and SA for MH

Yes, SAs came back not so great.

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many? 

No, mine says there is no concrete evidence that taking it for more than, say, 6 months is harmful, but she did say that at that point it would be beating a dead horse.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing? No I did not before my first clomid.  Unless you have high risk factors my RE likes a patient to try clomid cycles twice because the chance of having both blocked tubes is less than getting an infection from the procedure.  I decided I want to though since we were moving to IUI.  I had lots of b/w done before and was diagnosised "PCOS" like and my DH had a SA done that showed we were also dealing with MFI.

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem.   Yes

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many?  Not because of it causing cancer because she ran a very long study at Stanford that disproved this theory but she does not recommend doing more than 4 cycles of anyone thing because if it doesn't work by then the chances of it working are pretty low.

I would be concerned that your RE is not wanting to do u/s though.  I had a clomid cycle cancelled because my lining was so thin.  That wouldn't have been seen with b/w.

GL to you!

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • Loading the player...
  • 1) An HSG is an Xray, right? If so, no I didn't have that.

2) Yep, doc thinks it's polycystic ovarian syndrome...I just finished my first round of Clomid (the lowest dose..I think she said 50 milligrams..does that sound right?) and just had a transvaginal ultrasound to see if my ovaries had any good follicles yet..they didn't show any (but did have black dots which are the cysts from PCOS), so I didn't get the shot that would make me ovulate...I go back in a week to see if there are any good follicles and if so, I will get my shot to ovulate then...if nothing...they will give me something to make me bleed and I'll start all over again on a higher dose of Clomid

3) she said we'd try the clomid for 3 whole cycles and then if we weren't getting results, we'd look at my hubby to check his sperm count and such

• imagescootRN:

Before starting Clomid:

1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing?  No HSG but did have cd3 bloodwork & u/s

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem?  Yes, bloodwork showed PCOS

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many?  She said if it will happen on Clomid it'll most likely happen in the first 3 cycles.  I'm just starting my 1st cycle this week.

After more than 2 years of fertility treatments, FET did the trick!
    IVF March 2012 - BFP! - Severe OHSS = 8 days in the hospital in kidney failure
    No heartbeat at 10w6d
    FET August 27,2012 = BFP!
    It's a boy!
    My Blog - 3 Dogs, No Baby

BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing?

Yes had a HSG done and u/s

No. reason for my clomid use is unexplained IF

3 months or 3 cycles.  When I last talked to him after my first monitoring, he said depending on how cycle 2 goes I may move to injectibles

Life As I Know It
    TTC #1 Since 2/2008
    Dx: Hyperprolactinemia and Unexplained
    Parlodel 2.5 mg (1 Tab M,W,F; 1/2 tab the other days); Folic Acid; Prenatals
    All 5 Clomid cylces resulted in BFN; no more Clomid.
    Laparoscopy Scheduled 1/11/11: Path report showed minor inflammation and infection.
    3/30/11 Biopsy results: cervial and endometrial pathologies normal; one pathology came back abnormal with 5 rare cells from the endometritis
    Cycles 1-5 of Follistim, Novarel, Progesterone = BFN
    Surprise BFP 11/18/11
    Beta #1 208, p4 7.4; Beta #2 1846.20, p4 16.1
    u/s #1 12/2/11 Heart rate 126 bpm measuring at 3mm
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagescootRN:

Before starting Clomid:

1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing? HSG, 2 Saline U/S, CD3 B/W, DH had 2 S/A... still needing to do a post coital test...I feel like I am leaving something out...

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem?  I had an Incomplete Septum in the Uterus- Which has been removed. I do not ovulate correctly- which is a problem :P

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many? I will do 3 months of Clomid and Trigger..If those don't work we move onto IUI

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • imagescootRN:

Before starting Clomid:

1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing? Yes a SA for my husband and HSG for me

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem? nope- unexplained infertility

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many? he gave me 2 months worth then referred me to a RE

• 1.  We actually started Clomid before my HSG, but my RE said we had no reason to think my tubes would be blocked.  I had a u/s, CD 3 b/w and DH had an SA.

2.  Nope, we are unexplained.  I had a short luteal phase, but the RE didn't think that was keeping us from getting pregnant.

3. He said after 4 cycles it is very unlikely to work, but didn't say for sure that we would only do that many.

•  

Before starting Clomid:

1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing? Yes, my RE would not start any type of meds/treatment until all our testing was done. ( HSG, cd3 b/w, u/s, SA)

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem? Yes, my frigggin thyroid is lazy and doesn't want to do it's job

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many?  My RE didn't but the paper that CVS printed out (when I filled the Rx) said not to take it more than 6 times

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • imagescootRN:

Before starting Clomid:

1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Yes, I had an HSG. 

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem?  No, unexplained

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many? My Dr only wanted to use it for 3 mo and then said it would be a waste of time and money after that point.

• 1) I started clomid with my gyn, so I didn't have a HSG before I started.  After 3 cycles, I moved to my RE and had the HSG before another 3 cycles of clomid. 

2) Yes, I knew my diagnosis way before starting clomid.

3) I was not given a limit per se.  I think I could've done another cycle.  But it was time to move on. 

It took 5 failed IUIs and a failed IVF, but our FET worked!
    My pregnancy after Infertility Blog
    Our baby girl was born on April 27, 2011!
  • 1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing? Yep, had a crap load of b/w, cd3 u/s & b/w, HSG & S/A. However, this is when I went to the RE.  My GYN perscribed me Clomid a few years back and I filled the prescription but never took it because of what the girls had to say here about not being monitored while on it. Be your own advocate!!!

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem? Yes, PCOS

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many? No he didn't say specifically. He just said we wouldn't keep taking it if it wasn't working.

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

• Before starting Clomid:

1. I had an HSG, Hystero (remove fibriods) CD 3 & CD 21 blood word and DH had a SA

2. We are officially dx with unexplained

3. We are on our 2 IUI with Clomid+trigger.  When I met with my RE we decided to do 2 IUIs with Clomid then met to discuss moving on to IVF.  We decided to do only 2 IUIs because DH and I are older.  I have a meeting on Sept 14, with a new RE (my RE left the practice) so we will see what she has to say.

• 1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing? I did 1 round of clomid whilst seeing an OB. I then realized she had no clue about IF, so I moved to an RE. Did all my bloodwork, SA, HSG etc with the RE and then went on to do 3 more rounds of clomid.

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem? I'm borderline PCOS, although official diagnosis is unexplained IF.

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many? She didn't give me a limit as such, but said if it hasn't worked by 3 or 4 cycles, then we would move on to something else.

TTC #1 since 03/09 Dx Unexplained
    Jan to April 2010 - Clomid - All BFN
    June 2010 - IVF - BFN
    Oct 2010 - FET #1 - BFN
    Dec 2010 - endometrial biopsy
    Jan 2011 - Surprise BFP! - m/c at 6w5d
    March 2011 - FET #2. Thawed 11 Day 1 embryos; 5 'exploded' / possible lab error?
    ET 4/2/11 transferred 1 blast & 1 morula
    Beta#1 10dp5dt =81; Beta#2 12dp5dt =222 Beta#3 16dp5dt =1337
    It's a BOY!!! BabyFruit Ticker
    Yes -- HSG, SA.

Mild PCOS and hypothyroidism... otherwise, no. I was labeled unexplained IF.

I think it was 6 lifetime cycles of Clomid. We moved on after 4 (first cycle was successful, but ended in m/c, following 3 cycles were not successful).

4 Clomid cycles + 3 IUIs w/ injectables + 1 IVF = 1 m/c, 1 ectopic
    FET May 2011 = BFP! Beta 1 (8dp5dt): 336, Beta 2 (12dp5dt): 2033, Beta 3 (14dp5dt): 4706

? So thankful for our little guys, born at 33 weeks. ?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagescootRN:

Before starting Clomid:

1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing? No HSG (that is next month), but we did do b/w and diagnostic u/s on me and SA for DH

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem?  OB just thought that I was not having a strong O, longer cycles (all b/t 36-43 days), unexplained b/c b/w came back good.

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many? OB said 3 months, went to a IF spec. and he wants me to do it for 2 months, and then look at our options.

1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing? Yes.

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem? We already knew I had PCOS, and my RE was willing to let me wait on the HSG, but my insurance required it before proceeding with treatment.

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many? He initially said we would do three rounds of clomid, but with the migraines and lack of response I had on my last cycle, I think he's going to switch me to something else.

Trying to grow our family with both fertility treatments and adoption since March 2009 
    IUIs#1-4 = BFN, IVF#1 = c/p, IVF#2 = OHSS, FET#1=BFP
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing?  Yes.  Also had CD3-5 b/w and 7dpo b/w, and DH had an SA.

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem? Yes, I was diagnosed with low progesterone.

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many? My dr will do 3-4 cycles of any one protocol before moving on to the next step.  He feels that if you're not pregnant within those 3-4 cycles, then you're body isn't going to respond to that med/procedure.

1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing? Yes, my RE would also not do any type of treatment until we had all of our testing (HSG, cd3 b/w, u/s, SA) completed.

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem? Yes.

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many?  My RE didnt exactly say - but she said we will do 3 rounds of Clomid (I only did 2, skipped the last round) and move right into IUI in September.  I didnt argue with her :)

We had all the basic testing done first (HSG, b/w, SA)

We are unexplained... we found that out before taking Clomid

The Dr told us to do 3 cycles at 50mg, then we need to take a 2 month drug break before starting the next 3 cycles at 100mg +IUI if needed.    She wanted the 2 month break in there so that so my body (e.g. lining) can get back to normal before stepping it up.    if after 6 clomid cycles didn't work,  then we would move on to a different drug.

Baby #2 on the way! BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. Yes, we had all of our testing as well (HSG, SA, cd3 b/w & u/s).

2. Diagnosis? Not exactly, but I did have high TSH and Prolactin and started medication for both of those things.

3. My doc is doing 3 rounds of Clomid + TI, then we'll move to injects or injects + IUI.

Pregnancy Ticker

After 3 failed Clomid+TI cycles, DD was conceived with IUI#1

TTC #2

Clomid 50 mg + IUI#1  = BFP, m/c and D&C at 7w1d

Clomid 50mg + IUI#2 = BFN

Clomid 100mg + IUI#3 = BFN

Lupron + Follistim + IVF#1 = 11ER, 10M, 10F, ET of 1 expanded BBA 5-day blast, 2 Frosties. BFP! Beta 10/13 = 264! Beta 10/15 = 702! EDD 6/21/14

• imagescootRN:

Before starting Clomid:

1. Did you have an HSG to check your tubes? Other diagnostic testing? Yes, I had an HSG, u/s, b/w

2. Did you have a diagnosis or an idea of what might be causing the problem?  Officially I'm unexplained, though my doc thinks I probably have mild PCOS/insulin resistance. 

3. Did your doctor give you a limit to how many months you could take it, and if so how many? He told me that he wanted me to do 3 Clomid IUIs and then move on to IUIs with injectibles.  I've only done 1 so far due to insurance issues.

CD3 bloodwork, 2 SA's, and HSG

Unexplained Infertility with mild PCOS

Our insurance is changing in January - so we have a hard stop there until we know what our new insurance will cover. We are on our first clomid cycle in Sept. with a trigger and IUI.  My RE is being slightly more agressive since we have fully paid insurance. 

Please ignore my sig since I have not undated it yet. 

• imagescootRN:

Before starting Clomid:

I didn't have an HSG, but I had all of the other testing a couple of times, and DH had an S/A.

Unexplained annovulation.

I will take it for up to 3 cycles and then have an HSG.

TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"