South Florida Babies

Dresser option

-- Jackie
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Dresser option

• I always had my eye on this piece and think its amazing. You just have to make sure it will fit perfect in the space. If it does, I say totally go for it. It has a great amount of storage.
  • It would be great in the beginning... but once you are changing a 1-2 year old's diaper and they are wiggling and kicking, and pretty forceful, i'd be nervous that it would shake it and stuff from the shelves would fall off. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It's a gorgeous piece, but the cubby holes make me nervous about climbing. Also, to echo what Mel said....it seems like it would work in the beginning, but I'd worry about things falling or the top part sliding as the start resisting diaper changes. 
  • imagemiamicubajam:
    I always had my eye on this piece and think its amazing. You just have to make sure it will fit perfect in the space. If it does, I say totally go for it. It has a great amount of storage.

Yes, we have a wall dedicated for the dresser.  Dh originally wanted to buy 2 small coordinating dressers and place them right next to each other, but I didn't like how that woud look.  And we plan on putting shelving on top for storage bins and decor (books, piggy bank, etc).  I think this is a good mix of both ideas.

Only prob is that it really doesn't hae that much drawer space... must use a lot of bins.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagecocojack10:

imagemiamicubajam:
    I always had my eye on this piece and think its amazing. You just have to make sure it will fit perfect in the space. If it does, I say totally go for it. It has a great amount of storage.

Yes, we have a wall dedicated for the dresser.  Dh originally wanted to buy 2 small coordinating dressers and place them right next to each other, but I didn't like how that woud look.  And we plan on putting shelving on top for storage bins and decor (books, piggy bank, etc).  I think this is a good mix of both ideas.

Only prob is that it really doesn't hae that much drawer space... must use a lot of bins.

Ah I see what you mean. That's why we just ordered the dresser and tall 5 drawer dresser as well. Plus we have 3 additional drawers available in our room that we will keep blankets and stuff in.

• imagemiamicubajam:
    imagecocojack10:

imagemiamicubajam:

Ah I see what you mean. That's why we just ordered the dresser and tall 5 drawer dresser as well. Plus we have 3 additional drawers available in our room that we will keep blankets and stuff in.

That's another option I'm thinking... tall and short dressers, but they would be right next to each other, with the changer on the short dresser.  Are u placing them next to each other, are do you have room to space them out?  Wonder how it will look next to each other?  I wish they had a larger closet so we can stuff all their "junk" in their!  LOL

-- Jackie
  • I'm still torn between 2 room layouts but either way the tall dresser will not be right next to long dresser. Sorry I'm not much help there. :(
  • i wouldn't recommend it... like mel said, the wriggling.  there's the climbing.  there's also the almost 2 year old that gets into everything and will be pulling the baskets off the shelf and dumping them onto the floor.  yeah.... it's a gorgeous piece, just too impractical for me :)
  • I'm in favor of it - although I think that one is ridiculous in price, it is gorgeous.  We have a similar piece and with both kids they stopped getting changed up there when they were too big or too tall.  The nice thing is you have all the extra space once they are out of diapers (which is only 2 or 3 years).  Kate outgrew her changing pad at 18 months but she's still in diapers so we change her on her bed or the floor.  The portion where the change pad goes is now her bookshelf.  Good luck!

PS - Noah has two dressers right next to each other.  You have to be careful what you pick with the design.  If they aren't flush on the top they will either sit awkwardly against each other (if you have carpet because one eventually leans slightly) or won't be exactly next to each other.

• I had a similar dresser for Sophia and never had a problem. She was never a kicker, though....and once these kids reach 12-18 months they are too long for a changing table anyway and you start changing them on the floor or bed or even standing up.

I am more a fan of this option than a designated "changing table" because I like that you can use this as a dresser/shelf for years to come - which honestly makes the price easier to swallow since it has many uses and years attached to it.

GL! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I agree that it is gorgeous, but the price is a little hefty.  For some reason I thought it was comparable w/ the 2 dresser option we were considering, but ti is no where near comparable.  LOL

Dawn - thanks for your input about 2 dressers next to each other.  We actually have wood floors in the bedrooms, but I'll def look for pieces that will "flow" together more.

-- Jackie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"