Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Almond BUtter?

Is almond butter the non-allergic alternative to peanut butter?  Are there usually reactions to almond butter?  Is an allergy usually to just peanuts or all nuts.  I am hesitant to give my LO peanut butter because he has an issue with strawberries and certain dyes so I steer clear or most "allergy" foods.  Just wondering if almond butter was "safe".  TIA and sorry if this is confusing or rambling. 

Re: Almond BUtter?

• I think almond butter is the safer alternative.  It's what we use... though I call it PB&J, and DH has heard me say that so many times that he thought peanut butter was OK to give.  So, DH has given them PB several times... and no allergy. 

Still, almond butter is very healthy, and that's what I'm giving them, and eating myself these days.

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've heard sunflower butter is also an allergy safe alternative, so you could check that out as well.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Almonds are a tree nut - different than peanuts, which are a legume. Peanuts are a huge allergy concern, but many people can be allergic to peanuts and be perfectly fine with almonds and other tree nuts.

You could also try sunflower seed butter, soy butter, coconut butter, cashew butter, tahini butter, hazelnut butter.. 

• My Pedi recommended us to stay away from all nuts because of DD's milk allergy. She suggested Sun Butter which is made from Subflower seeds but looks just like PB. It is made in a nut free processing plant as well. HTH :)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If there is a peanut allergy it is usually assumed they are allergic to ALL nuts.  This includes almonds.  A nut free version of peanut butter would be sunflower seed oil butter (Sunbutter) or Soybutter. 
  • My DD#1 is severely allergic to peanuts and moderately so to a garden variety of tree nuts.  We avoid all exposure to nuts, but she has other allergens that the Dr. has me exposing her to on a schedule.
  • My pedi rec. waiting until 2 to even introduce any 'butters' to her. So I am waiting but when I do, I am going to try almond butter and the other alternatives. Or at least the organic kind.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

• regardless, almond butter is better than peanut butter any day!!

you can also try a seed butter, like sunflower seed butter.

• imageRidgebackMom:
    My pedi rec. waiting until 2 to even introduce any 'butters' to her. So I am waiting but when I do, I am going to try almond butter and the other alternatives. Or at least the organic kind.
    If you are concerned about allergies to nuts, organic versus non is not going to make a difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"