School-Aged Children
Options

1st time posting here and a ? re: homework

Now that DD is in 1st grade and will have homework on a reg basis, I want to establish a "homework routine"

At what point do you do homework? Right after school, close to dinner, before bed? Not sure when would be a good time for her to be the most focused. 

What do you do?

So happy to see this board FINALLY!

Re: 1st time posting here and a ? re: homework

• Options

DD does homework after school to get it out of the way.  Its just easier that way since she has dance classes a few days during the week from 5:30-6:30.  So we just make it a routine and its done and out of the way!

• Options
    With DS in 6th grade, we're still with trial and error! It really depends on the night. With the warmer seasons and he didn't have any sports that night, I'd let him play first, then we'd eat and then he'd do his homework however if he gave me a hard time, he'd have to do his homework before playing. He always has to do homework before any sports that night though. Sometimes kids do better and focus after dinner and some do better right away after school.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD#2 is in preschool and gets homework daily With her, I usually do it the morning of or after dinner unless she wants to do it with her big sissy, then she will do it at that time.

DD#1 is going into the seventh grade and usually we come home, snack and then she does her chores and then sits down for homework time, she used to do it right after school but we found that she started working the system and purposely would sit there and take forever on her homework so that she didnt have to do any chores. So DH changed it around and we havent had issues since.

I think it is all about what works best for you and her and what your schedule is like after school.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My dd doesn't have regular homework (she's in K) but she does have a list of items to do every month so we can spread them out how we like.  Anyhow, a lot of nights she'll work on it while I cook dinner in the kitchen or right after dinner.  It's been working out ok because she can do some work on her own but I'm right there if she needs help or has a question. 

I like the idea of doing it right after school but I think she needs some downtime, plus some days we have afternoon activities or playdates so it would get bumped back anyhow.

• Options

When SD gets home she gets 15 minutes to relax, unwind, have a go-gurt or other healthy snack, go to the bathroom, change her clothes if she wants to etc.  After that it is homework time.

• Options
    imageErina1004:

DD does homework after school to get it out of the way.  Its just easier that way since she has dance classes a few days during the week from 5:30-6:30.  So we just make it a routine and its done and out of the way!

• Options
    imageErina1004:

Sorry for the blank post, my computer was acting up

This!! My DD dances 3x's a week and we encourage homework to be done before any fun activities start. Plus it gets it out of the way and we can have family time later on in the evening.

• Options
    DD was in first last year, she didnt want to do it the moment she got home. She still felt tired from the full day, so i would give her about 15-30 to relax and then it was homework time. Sometimes she/we would have something going on and if we didnt have time afterschool it was done before school the next morning. Also on a test day I would quiz her from her study guide on our walk to school. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"