Baby Names

You might end up being a stripper if you are named...

So I met a little 1 year old named....Mystic.  Yes...Mystic.  All i can think of is there is no way this little girl is going to grow up to be a prominent attorney or doctor with a name like that.  I could never see myself taking professional advice from someone with a name like Mystic. Sounds like a stripper name to me. 

Anyone else encounter some names first hand that made you scratch your head and think of the kids adult future?  

Another name on that list is Destiny.  

Re: You might end up being a stripper if you are named...

• Maybe they were drinking Mystic when they conceived her.  HAHA

I'm pretty sure there is a drink named that.  

• While I was working as a manager for my old job, a girl came in and filled out an application. On the name line: Diamond.. the kicker? Her middle name was Sparkle. Needless to say, she didn't get the job. Parents: Please consider that you're naming a child who will grow up and need a job!
  • Loading the player...
  • Sisters named Dreama and Mysti.
    Cole Joseph 7/05/07

Nora Anne 11/03/12
    9lbs, 6oz
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here's something for you:

My MIL is a nurse and during clinicals had a pregnant woman in postpartum. She didnt have names picked out so she was looking for "inspiration" around time the dinner came the dessert was orange jello. I know for sure she ended up naming that child orangejello- pronounced or-ahng-jello. Classic.

• imageveganxangel:
    While I was working as a manager for my old job, a girl came in and filled out an application. On the name line: Diamond.. the kicker? Her middle name was Sparkle. Needless to say, she didn't get the job. Parents: Please consider that you're naming a child who will grow up and need a job!

It is illegel to not hire somebody based on their name, and that's what I don't get about this argument.  Sure I understand that employer's will come up with a different reason, but what you just said was that she didn't get hired because of her name.  And that is flat out illegal because it's discrimination.  I worked in HR for 4 years before having a baby and whenever we would get a resume we never even looked at the name until after looking at the resume.  Nobody included their middle names on the resume either.  So while I understand that you want to name your child something that will grow with them and not be a weird adult name, this argument just doesn't hold water to me.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imagejust4kmt:

Here's something for you:

My MIL is a nurse and during clinicals had a pregnant woman in postpartum. She didnt have names picked out so she was looking for "inspiration" around time the dinner came the dessert was orange jello. I know for sure she ended up naming that child orangejello- pronounced or-ahng-jello. Classic.

Who wants it? 

• imagejust4kmt:

...and my dog's brother's cousin's owner's step-son's teacher taught Lemonjello (Orangejello's brother) and La-a (La-dash-ah).

Might be a kid out there by that name, but your MIL doesn't know 'em. Urban Legend. 

imageimage
  • Fair enough, I was only going off of what I was told and personally had not heard that story before.
  • imagedhviel:

imageveganxangel:
    While I was working as a manager for my old job, a girl came in and filled out an application. On the name line: Diamond.. the kicker? Her middle name was Sparkle. Needless to say, she didn't get the job. Parents: Please consider that you're naming a child who will grow up and need a job!

It is illegel to not hire somebody based on their name, and that's what I don't get about this argument.  Sure I understand that employer's will come up with a different reason, but what you just said was that she didn't get hired because of her name.  And that is flat out illegal because it's discrimination.  I worked in HR for 4 years before having a baby and whenever we would get a resume we never even looked at the name until after looking at the resume.  Nobody included their middle names on the resume either.  So while I understand that you want to name your child something that will grow with them and not be a weird adult name, this argument just doesn't hold water to me.

I hear ya, but if you had two applications with the same qualifications and one is Theresa Marie and the other is Diamond Sparkle who would you choose? Who could you take seriously?

• imagedhviel:

imageveganxangel:

What law makes it illegal to not hire someone based on their name? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageveganxangel:
    imagedhviel:

imageveganxangel:

I hear ya, but if you had two applications with the same qualifications and one is Theresa Marie and the other is Diamond Sparkle who would you choose? Who could you take seriously?

Well probably the one that did better in the interview...

I understand how that is such a silly name, but I actually went to school with a Diamond and she was awesome. Blame the parents is what I say Wink

• imageCactusGirl:
    imageveganxangel:
    imagedhviel:

imageveganxangel:

Well probably the one that did better in the interview...

I understand how that is such a silly name, but I actually went to school with a Diamond and she was awesome. Blame the parents is what I say Wink

This exactly.  It's not the person's fault that there parent's named them Diamond.

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imageTapper76:
    imagedhviel:

imageveganxangel:

What law makes it illegal to not hire someone based on their name? 

Maybe it's just here in Canada, but it is law that you are not allowed to discriminate when hiring for a job.  Disabilties, names, genders, religion whatever, you are not allowed to let that affect whether or not one person gets the job or not.  We had to be very careful when we were hiring that we documented interviews and only got rid of resumes based on lack of qualification and nothing else.  If someone can prove that they weren't hired because of discriminatory reasons, that person can take the company to the cleaners.

image              image

• imageveganxangel:

Who wants it? 

HAHA.  

Seriously though... my boyfriend works for his city IT department, and there really is an El-a there.  

I told him he needs to find a way to scan her computer fixit! Maybe black out her last name. 

The orangello/lemongello thing is the oldest naming legend I've heard, but I think some nut heard the el-a thing and actually named her kid that.  

One day I shall get this proof!!!  :-D 

In the meantime, here is a snopes link with the Jello twins and other names.

https://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

• I just finished reading Freakonomics and the authors dedicated the last chapter to baby names... and unfortunately, you all are partially right: little girls with the name Angel, Heaven, Misty, Destiny, or Crystal (amongst others) appeared on a list of the most popular baby names given by low-education mothers (an average of a high school degree or less).

So really there is nothing in the name, per se, but chances are, if your mom gave you one of these names, she probably wasn't a super-successful, stellar scholar and genetics say you probably won't be either.

And just for fun, here are some of the other names they listed and the categories they fit into:

Rich girl names of the 90's:
    1. Alexandra
    2. Lauren
    3. Katherine
    4. Madison
    5. Rachel

Girl name choices of highly educated mothers:
    1. Lucienne
    2. Marie-Claire
    3. Glynnis
    4. Adair
    5. Meira

(Names are from the book Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner and the lists stem from their research, not my own)

• I once met a girl named Cheetah.

Just take that in for a minute. 

• A good friend of mine who is a teacher had twin girls in her class a few years ago named Alize and Hennessey.  Yikes.

The best, by far though, was the boy she had whose legal name was Superman!  Yep, SUPERMAN.  That is not a joke or an urban legend.

• imageBlueRidge8:

I once met a girl named Cheetah.

Cheetahs never prosper.  - Zazu - 1994

• imagelaurel22:

A good friend of mine who is a teacher had twin girls in her class a few years ago named Alize and Hennessey.  Yikes.

The best, by far though, was the boy she had whose legal name was Superman!  Yep, SUPERMAN.  That is not a joke or an urban legend.

That I believe.  My son had a kid in his class who he referred to as Vossy.  When they sent hom the list of first names for Valentine's Cards... his name was Couvossier. 

Cognac anyone?
  • imageEmjay221:
    imagelaurel22:

A good friend of mine who is a teacher had twin girls in her class a few years ago named Alize and Hennessey.  Yikes.

That I believe.  My son had a kid in his class who he referred to as Vossy.  When they sent hom the list of first names for Valentine's Cards... his name was Couvossier. 

Cognac anyone?

Yeah, my friend likes to joke around that they were named after the liquor their parents were drinking the night they were conceived.  Haha!

• imagelaurel22:

I am 99% sure I saw those kids on a Waiting Child list a couple of years ago when we were waiting to be chosen for our daughter...and I remember thinking how sad it was that their mother was such a tool.  They have an older brother with a somewhat normal name.

• imagejust4kmt:

Please read Sticky Note link in siggy.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • ha!  I actually used to work for the Department of Family and Children Services and during our training the trainer told us that she knew of a set of twins named orangejello and lemonjello. She also said that she knew of a child named Shithead....pronounced Shh-tead. Yes, these parents were just wonderful werent they?!?!
  • imagejust4kmt:
    Fair enough, I was only going off of what I was told and personally had not heard that story before.

FYI: Someone posts these urban legends at least once a week on this board. It gets old.

• imageCrystal318:
    ha!  I actually used to work for the Department of Family and Children Services and during our training the trainer told us that she knew of a set of twins named orangejello and lemonjello. She also said that she knew of a child named Shithead....pronounced Shh-tead. Yes, these parents were just wonderful werent they?!?!

You are proof of why people should lurk before posting on these boards.  

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In college I had a friend named Misty.  Her sister's name was Trixie.  Yikes.

• I had an Alize last year in one of my classes.

There is also a girl at my school named Divine with a sister name Dymond (and their last name is White).

I also know a 16-year-old named MacGyver.

imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• imageJess_101:

So I met a little 1 year old named....Mystic.  Yes...Mystic.  All i can think of is there is no way this little girl is going to grow up to be a prominent attorney or doctor with a name like that.  I could never see myself taking professional advice from someone with a name like Mystic. Sounds like a stripper name to me. 

Anyone else encounter some names first hand that made you scratch your head and think of the kids adult future?  

Another name on that list is Destiny.  

In high school, a guy's sisters were Rainbow and Bunny...(not nicknames).. Also knew of a Taloulah Sapphire----> I think this screams stripper.

• imageEmjay221:
    imageBlueRidge8:

I once met a girl named Cheetah.

Cheetahs never prosper.  - Zazu - 1994

"Once a Cheetah, always a Cheetah"- Maury Povich audience member

*This was when I was in middle school, and at the time, I really thought the lady was saying "cheetah".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"