Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

I need your opinion!

My sister-in-law has decided to get married in 12 weeks on a cruise ship before it departs for a week long sail. (No they aren't pregnant just have had a 3 yr engagement and are ready to be married and this is how it worked out.)

The newlyweds will honeymoon on the cruise and both sets of parents are planning on taking the cruise as well to celebrate (weird I know). My in laws have been extremley generous and offered to pay for both DH and I to go on the cruise as well - however, LO will be between 11 and 12 weeks old and cannot go (cruise line policy is LOs must be 6 mo.). DH says we should leave LO with my parents and go, I am against it as she will be so young and I plan on feeding her breast milk only. 

So my questions are:

Am I crazy to pass up a free vacation because I don't want to leave LO at 11 or 12 weeks? Or is DH being completely out of line?

Would it even be possible to pump and store enough for us to be gone a week?

BTW I have no problem with DH going and me staying home with LO but he seems to think this is also unreasonable.

I also posted this on the Sept. board - any advice would be welcome!

Re: I need your opinion!

• Options

I wouldn't go and DH would never go without me!  I think that's too young to leave a baby for that long. 

• Options

I don't think you're crazy to pass up the cruise.
    But I also don't think your DH is out of line.

Some parents are fine being away for a week, and some aren't.

I personally would not feel comfortable with this. My son is only 7 weeks, but I'm pretty sure 4 weeks from now (or even 4 months from now) I would not be happy leaving him for that long.

To answer your other question, yes - it is definitely possible to pump that much by the time he is 12 weeks old.

Good luck making your decision =) And congrats to your SIL!

ETA: How long can you put off making your final decision (aka: how long until they have to buy the ticket)?
    I think once you have had your baby for a month or so, you'll know whether or not you feel comfortable away for that long. I was invited to a wedding for 3 weeks PP and said yes, and didn't end up going (and neither did DH). We are both a lot more attached to our son than we thought we would be. Leaving him with my mom to go to a 2 hour movie even stresses me out. Not just because I worry, but because I genuinely LOVE spending time with him. I thought I would be a less hands on mom to be honest. I think you'll know better when you're used to having him around. It's easy for you or DH to say "oh I can leave him for a couple days" right now, because he isn't here yet =)

Liam 07/08/10 -- TTC #2 -- my cloth vlog -- & daily cloth diaper deals Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Tough decision...however, I don't think I could leave my 12 week old that early or for that long.  Especially since if something were to happen I couldn't get to her since I would be in the middle of the ocean.

Good luck with your decision...only you know what's best for your family!

• Options
    If it were me, I would go as long as it was my parents taking care of LO.  And yes, I think you can pump that much in time.  Good Luck.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all.  I'm sure that you could pump enough to do it, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable being so far from LO for so long.
  • Options
    If you want to go on a cruise that badly wait til your LO is older. Your LO is way to young to be without you for a week!  You wouldn't even enjoy yourself because you would be thinking of LO the whole time anyways.  Especially if your pumping while on the ship that will be miserable.  Priorities change when you have children, or atleast they should.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it... I think cruises don't sound very fun anyway, but my baby is 7 weeks now and I can't imagine being apart that long- even if it were my folks watching him!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageProudMommmie:

Tough decision...however, I don't think I could leave my 12 week old that early or for that long.  Especially since if something were to happen I couldn't get to her since I would be in the middle of the ocean.

Good luck with your decision...only you know what's best for your family!

This is how I would feel. its definitely a tough decision though. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"