February 2011 Moms

this makes me really sad... *long

So I talked to my mom earlier today and she had some news that made me really sad/slightly upset.  My mom doesn't work but my dad still works full time.  At his job, he has plenty of vacation so he was planning on taking time off to be there for the birth of our LO (we've already invited both my parents to come, we're not sure of the logistics about who is in the room/all of that, but we know we want them at least in the hospital).  DH & I also asked my parents if they would give us a little time after the baby is born (they live about 2-3 hours away), maybe a week or so until DH has to go back to work, to just enjoy being the three of us, but that when DH goes back to work, if they wanted, they could come back down and spend a week or so staying at our house and getting to know baby with me while DH is at work.  This is the first grandchild for my parents and they are both REALLY excited and basically told us anytime we want them there, please let them know, because they'd like to come as much as possible.  

So, my mom tells me today that my Dad's supervisor just told him he & his wife would be taking a trip to another country for the ENTIRE month of March.  And, when his supervisor goes out of town, he can't, because he is the next in command.  We're due Feb 11th, however, everyone keeps telling me that most first time moms never deliver on their due date, that they are mostly late by a little or sometimes a lot.  So, unless I deliver right on my due date or earlier, he's going to miss out on a whole week with baby, me, DH, and my mom.  My mom made it seem like he was really upset, which makes me really upset because I don't want him to feel at all left out, and with my mom down for the week, I know he will be sitting there wishing he were there too.  I'm just so frustrated at the whole situation.  I know I should be thankful that they get time off at all and can be there for the birth, and that in this economy that he still has a job, but at the same time, it just makes me sad that I was hoping this could be a great time of bonding for our very close family, and now he will more than likely not be able to be there and, as my mom said, 'just have to come down and visit baby on the weekends...' :( 

I know there isn't really anything I can do about this situation, but I'm just sad.  I also wonder if I'm being unrealistic in trying to plan out a way for DH & I to have time alone with baby and then be able to share in the arrival with family.  :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: this makes me really sad... *long

• I'm sorry your situation might not work out as you hoped.

Speaking to your last paragraph: Both my and DH's parents live 3 hours away.  We would like them there for the birth.

My cousin who had a baby this past Feb said that her and her husband recommend we do the first night alone without our parents around.  Easy for them to say...their parents live 15 minutes away from them (and my cousin is hoping to move closer to them).  Big difference from my situation.

These are just my thoughts: I feel completely rude telling my parents to get a hotel room so DH and I can spend time with the baby for a night before they stay over at the house.  My parents don't like to waste money and would blow $100 on a hotel room if I asked, but I know they would think it's a waste of money (and I agree).

I know plenty of people that will disagree with me on this, my cousin included.  I think it's a very personal decision.  After the birth, if I feel super strong about the parents not being there the first night, I'll ship them off to a hotel (and would probably offer to pay for it).  But to expect them to drive 3 hours home or get a hotel room when we have 4 bedrooms here just doesn't seem right to me.  The bedrooms are all upstairs, ours is on the main floor along with the den which we are using as the nursery.  I already talkted to my mom about this and she said, we'll just stay upstairs no matter what and read or watch TV.

So while I wouldn't take the route you are, I certainly don't think you are being unfair in your thoughts - it's such a personal thing.

BFP #1 - 2/5/2010 - c/p 2/9/2010, BFP #2 - 6/20/2010 - DD Born 2/26/2011, BFP #3 - 9/13/2012 - c/p 9/20/2012, BFP #4 - 11/11/2012 - betas: 53 on 11/13, 115 on 11/15, 8069 on 11/26 - u/s shows 127 bpm! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know they are 2+hrs away but atleast he can go to you for the weekend?  also what about getting a webcame and skype? one of my CW's has to do that since she and grandbaby live on opposite sides of the country. it's not the best but it's an option.

what about a grandpa only week so he can bond with his first grand child on his own? I know that means twice the entertaining but it might make him feel better?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I don't think you are being unrealistic about what you want/need after you give birth.  Everyone is different, and you know how you cope with things.  I am exactly the opposite, and I am trying to find a way to tell my ILs that I want them to stay for two weeks after the birth so that they will be there right after and for the baby naming.  (I'm Jewish and DH is not, so my parents are already planning on staying.)

You have to do what is right for you.  You are going to be exhausted and sore, and if the only people that you want to see are your baby and your hubby, then only see your baby and your hubby!  Your parents know you; they will understand!

And try not to worry about the due date.  Babies come when they come.  DH is an only child, and he came two weeks early! 

BFP #1 - Twin B lost at 5w
    Bryce Addison  I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    Our baby boy was born sleeping on 9.17.10. He was 19w1d.
    BFP #2 - Twin B lost at 4w
    Twin A
    BFP #3 - Lost at 5w
    BFP #4 - Lost at 4w
    BFP #5

• imageJenniferk08:

I know they are 2+hrs away but atleast he can go to you for the weekend?  also what about getting a webcame and skype? one of my CW's has to do that since she and grandbaby live on opposite sides of the country. it's not the best but it's an option.

what about a grandpa only week so he can bond with his first grand child on his own? I know that means twice the entertaining but it might make him feel better?

Thank you for all the great ideas! :)  I don't think I could invite him by himself alone back down for a whole week, I know my mom would be not a happy camper if she had to sit at home alone while he was here as much as he will be upset about it, but I definitely can have them both back down for a 'grandpa's' week after his boss is back.  This would be a really nice relaxing break for him after a likely stressful month anyway of being in charge, and we could really frame it so that it is a celebration of him being able to be with us.  I really love that idea!  And the webcam idea is so him, he is very techie (sp?) and would love to see the baby even if he can't be here. 

• I hope things work out for you. IF it makes you feel any better I had DS a week early. I know lots of second time PG women that were early or on time with the first and were late with the second. You just never know how things work out.
  • Hi Firedancer - it's true that you might be late on delivery, but you may also be early. My husband was a week late, I was a week early, and we're both firstborns. So you never know. Best not to stress about it and just concentrate on the good things. :)

I understand the disappointment -- my dad was going to come for the birth and just found out that his co-worker already took vacation time for the exact two-week time frame of my delivery window. Helpful, huh? But you know what, my mom will be there, and he'll come when things have calmed down a bit, and it will still be great. Focus on the positive -- you have parents who want to be involved and supportive!

Love one another, but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. - Kahlil Gibran

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Fruit Ticker

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"