February 2011 Moms

I know I am being silly, but I am kind of bummed

I JUST found out that one of our top name choices just happens to be a popular character on a very popular tv show that I have NEVER even seen.  We have loved the name Finn for a boy for years, it was our choice with DD back in 08 before we found out she was a girl.  So we were so excited about possibly using it with this baby if it's a boy.  So I overheard some girls at work talking about Finn on Glee.  Is that true????  I don't even want to google it!  We will of course still use the name (either that or Miles are our top boy choices), but will people automatically assume we chose it because of some silly tv show?  I know that sounds awful petty of me, but it just sucks because it's a unique Irish name we have loved forever and now it seems the name will be synonymous with some boy on tv.  Boooooo.

oh and if you are a Glee fan I am not knocking you, I have heard its good, I just haven't ever seen it :)

Re: I know I am being silly, but I am kind of bummed

• I have seen Glee like 2x, so I'm also not an expert on the subject, but I don't think people will think you named DS after Glee...I mean, it's a popular show, but it's not like naming your kid Chandler in 1998...

I've heard Finn used years before Glee.  I usually think of Julia Robert's boy, but I think it's Phin or something...

Anyway, it's fine! :)

A possibility was born the day you were born and will live as long as you live.
    CafeMom Tickers .............................. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagestaryeyes:

I have seen Glee like 2x, so I'm also not an expert on the subject, but I don't think people will think you named DS after Glee...I mean, it's a popular show, but it's not like naming your kid Chandler in 1998...

I've heard Finn used years before Glee.  I usually think of Julia Robert's boy, but I think it's Phin or something...

LMAO.  This seriously cracked me up :)

• Loading the player...
  • imagestrimble26:
    imagestaryeyes:

I have seen Glee like 2x, so I'm also not an expert on the subject, but I don't think people will think you named DS after Glee...I mean, it's a popular show, but it's not like naming your kid Chandler in 1998...

LMAO.  This seriously cracked me up :)

Wink  thanks, I'll be here all afternoon...

A possibility was born the day you were born and will live as long as you live.
    CafeMom Tickers .............................. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Finn is the name of the main character on Glee. 

and you should watch the show...I personally think it is hilarious, but i am a former band/chorus geek.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had no idea what television show you were talking about, and I still don't!  I don't watch much tv, though.  But still, since I haven't even heard of it, it can't be THAT popular.  It'll probably be cancelled in a couple of years anyhow! I wouldn't let it bother you.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Everyone will think something about a name and what it makes them first think of. If the first thing they think of is Glee, I don't think you should worry about it. There are worse names with worse associations. I've never seen Glee but I doubt that when he is 20, people will go 'Oh were you named after the character on Glee?'. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP#4 1/19/13 ~ due 10/2/13 ~ hoping for our rainbow baby!
    BFP#3 8/14/12 ~ missed m/c ~ D&C 9/25/12 at 10w1d
    Hannah-10/25/08
  • Glee is a good show but I am sure it will not be a classic that is remembered forever.

A friend of mine has two girls, Harper and Avery. She doesn't really watch Grey's Anatomy and I always wondered about the "Harper Avery" award lol. She promised she didn't name her girls after that but a few people have asked her. 

• Glee is an AWESOME show so even if people associated the name with that, it wouldn't be a bad thing : )

And honestly, I don't think people will do that - at least not the majority!

BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Good luck finding a name that hasn't been used in popular culture.
  • I'm not a glee fan, and I would never not consider a name because its on a tv show. Fin is a great name. I actually think of Great Expectations when I hear it lol. If LO was a girl we'd be naming her Isabella. I looove the name Bella. I also love twillight and EVERYONE had the same response when I said our girl name. But Isabella has been my girl name since I was about 15 lol. I never minded the association. Its about what you like, don't worry abt who people think of when they hear the name. Fin could b the name of some nose picker I sat next to in 3rd grade, doesn't mean you shouldn't use the name lol.

Nicole, Mommy to baby Jordan Santiago born 3-31-06 and Isabella Grace born 1/28/2011 image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wouldnt worry about it. My son's name is Roman Gabriel, and everyone asks me if I got the name from Sex and the City. I NEVER watched that show, movie, or anything. Also, I found out after he was born at some point that there was a NFL player at one time named Roman Gabriel... Ya never know! :)
  • imagebrittbergh:
    I wouldnt worry about it. My son's name is Roman Gabriel, and everyone asks me if I got the name from Sex and the City. I NEVER watched that show, movie, or anything. Also, I found out after he was born at some point that there was a NFL player at one time named Roman Gabriel... Ya never know! :)

Those people are dum dums cause theres no Roman on SATC lol. Thats an awesome name btw. Really manly and strong.

Nicole, Mommy to baby Jordan Santiago born 3-31-06 and Isabella Grace born 1/28/2011 image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I felt the same about Isabella.  I loved the name until I realized the girl from twilight is named Isabella.  I am considering another name but for a few other reasons.  If you like it then I say use it, years from now people may not remember the characters from that show.

• People have actually told me that the girl name we have chosen will lead our daughter into a life of harlotry.  Apparently, all girls named Raquel are hookers since Raquel Welsh is a sexpot.

No one will remember the names of the character on Glee by the time our little one goes to school, and if they do, there are worse characters to be named after!  Imagine being named Barney! 

BFP #1 - Twin B lost at 5w
    Bryce Addison  I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    Our baby boy was born sleeping on 9.17.10. He was 19w1d.
    BFP #2 - Twin B lost at 4w
    Twin A
    BFP #3 - Lost at 5w
    BFP #4 - Lost at 4w
    BFP #5

• That's pretty funny - I have also always loved the name "Finn" and wanted to name a son that.  However a close family friend coincidentally just named her son that last year, so it's clearly off the table.  Too bad!  I don't think anyone would think you named your child after "Glee."  I say, go for it.
  • Finn has been wildly popular in England for years! I don't think anyone would bat an eye if you said you were naming your son Finn. I think it's cute, but we already have a name decided if we have a penis inside me.
    CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • I'm actually nixing Finn from our name list because it's too effing popular right now.  I don't think it's anything to do with Glee.  It's just one of those cool formerly fringe names that are catching on, like Oliver.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  
  • LOL strimble - at least you're not using Puck. ;-)

Watch a couple episodes of Glee on Hulu -- and I wouldn't worry about it.

Love one another, but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. - Kahlil Gibran

Baby Fruit Ticker

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"