Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Pumping Question!

Hey ladies! I start back to work in about a month and I am worried about being able to pump enough milk. LO is only 4 weeks old and I have been EBF. I want to continue to ONLY breastfeed and not supplement at all with formula.

When I pump right now I can only get about 1-2 oz between BOTH breasts! This is with or without him nursing before. I have heard it can take up to 4 months before you can pump a lot.

My question is: What do I need to do to be able to pump more? Will it eventually happen? Does it take time to have a high milk supply? If so how long? Does so little pumping mean the baby is only getting that little when he eats? He has a ton of wets and 1-4 poops a day that are the right color and usually seedy.

I use a rented Medela Lactina Select from the hospital and usually pump in between feedings.

TIA!

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumping Question!

• Options

do you pump with LO nearby? That definitely helps - or looking at a picture.  Strange but it really helps with my let down.  Also, I find that if I pump in the morning, about a half hour after his first feeding, I can pump up to 6 ounces on one side.  But, the few times I've had to pump at night, it's almost nothing. 

I use a hand pump - the Avent Isis - it's amazing and so easy.  I'm done in 10 minutes at the most. 

Good luck and try not to stress too much about it.  That won't help anything, just be relaxed as possible.  And drink TONS AND TONS of water.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BFP#1 10/26/09 EDD 7/4/10 Beautiful Baby Boy born 2 weeks late 7/16/10 BFP#2 8/23/11 EDD 5/11/12 Natural Miscarriage @ 6 weeks BFP#3 5/22/12 EDD 2/10/13 Stick Baby!
  • Options
    I would pump in the morning, that is when you have the most milk.  When my LO was 4 weeks I wouldn't get too much milk from pumping, but as time went on I got a lot more.  I took off 12 weeks for maternity leave and I have an awesome freezer stash, most of it was from pumping in the morning after LO ate.  And don't worry LO gets more milk from nursing than you do from pumping. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When you pump now do you feel the letdown?  Occasionally I won't get a letdown with the pump and then I only get about 2 oz. total.  Usually you get more milk in the morning so try pumping an hour after your first morning feeding.  When milk stops coming out you can compress your breast to get more out.  Keep pumping for a few minutes after the milk is done for additional stimulation.  Eventually you will be able to pump more.  It can take time to adjust to the pump and as your baby starts needing more milk your supply will go up.

I'm sure your LO is getting plenty.  Babies are much more efficient than pumps and your body responds to them better.

Check out kellymom.com if you haven't already, there is a lot of great info about BF and pumping.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Options

If you're only able to pump 1-2oz at a time, your baby probably gets slightly more than that when he/she eats.  It's all supply and demand, so if your baby suckles more often, your body will start to produce more.  Likewise, if you continue to pump, your body will start to produce more.  I do find that if I try to pump right after a feeding I don't get much, so I pump half way between his feedings.  He eats every 3 1/2-4hrs, so I pump 1 1/2-2 hrs after he eats.  Good luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for all the responses! I will try the pumping in the morning after I feed him. I haven't really pumped in the morning because I usually pass out from being so tired! I pump mid afternoon/evening so that might be why as well.

I have never felt a "let down". Not sure when he is eating, sometimes I get this weird tingly feeling and someone said that is prob. the let down. What do you feel when you have a let down?

I will keep at it! Thanks for all your words of wisdom!

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageBrazygirl08:

Thanks for all the responses! I will try the pumping in the morning after I feed him. I haven't really pumped in the morning because I usually pass out from being so tired! I pump mid afternoon/evening so that might be why as well.

I have never felt a "let down". Not sure when he is eating, sometimes I get this weird tingly feeling and someone said that is prob. the let down. What do you feel when you have a let down?

I will keep at it! Thanks for all your words of wisdom!

Yeah, let down feels like tingling for me.  If you don't always feel it when you nurse then I wouldn't worry about not feeling it when you pump.  I think it's normal for some people to never really feel it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• Options
    Drinking lots of water is definitely recommended as pp suggested. Also, I suggest the herbal supplement fenugreek to increase your supply. I took it with DD#1 and was able to bf her without any supplementing of formula for a year -- when we started her on cows milk. This was all while working full time. I plan on using it again starting a couple of weeks before I go back to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"