Baby Showers

Diapers+Baby Shower

So my MIL gave me this idea for the baby shower to put in the invites that with every gift you bring some diapers. Has anyone else ever done this? Do you think that it will be successful?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diapers+Baby Shower

• Personally I don't think it's right to ask for something in addition to the gift your guests choose to bring.

• I have heard of this. Its like a diaper drive is what my MIL calls it. I picked out and ordered my invitations for my MIL to host and she wanted me to put it on the bottom of the invite. Shes prob. going to be pretty mad when they come in because I felt wrong asking for something in addition to the gifts.

Plus my MIL's gift to all her children is to buy ALL diapers until the baby is potty trained. :) Its kinda seemed like she wanted some of that taken off of her.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • She suggested it because of a friend she worked with, but I thought it was kind of out of place. People already have enough to worry about so im not sure if I want to use it or not.
  • I know most people's opinion on diapers or books PLUS a shower gift is pretty tacky (not all, but probably more than 50%).  I would stay away from it, you don't want to offend more than half your guests (unless it's a family tradition and it's a family shower).
  • My take on it - I'm going to budget a certain amount for a gift.  Lets say $50.  If I'm asked to bring diapers, I may or may not - but if I do, it's going to come out of the $50 budget.  I'm not going to spend more just because someone tells me "bring a gift AND diapers".

If you want people to take $ from th egift, then sure, ask them to bring diapers. But if you'd rather them focus on other stuff you may need - then don't ask for diapers too.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• We are having a diaper raffle at my shower. I put that we were registered at BRU and stated that we were having a diaper raffle if anyone was interested in participating. I didn't ask for BOTH. A lot of showers I have been to recently though, people have brought something (an outfit or ... whatever) plus, a thing of diapers. Then I put it on my registry (in the memo part) that we didn't register for diapers, but that if someone wanted to get that as our gift, that they would be greatly appreciated.

I think telling people they HAVE to bring diapers is tacky. I would bring diapers just because I know that is something that every mom can use, but some people are really into bringing certain other items.

• IMO I don't think you should ever ask for a specific gift. I wouldn't have a problem doing this if I were invited to a shower with a diaper raffle but I wouldn't want anyone else having a problem with it.
  • My friend is throwing a shower for me and brought this up. I felt funny about it, but this how she worded it on the invite so that nobody feels obligated:

If you would like to be entered into a very special raffle, please bring one package of sensitive skin/natural diapers.  

I think the raffle is going to have movie tickets, etc in it...

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." Sir James Barrie in Peter Pan

DS: 11/1/2010    DD: 8/9/2012       #3: 4/2019
  • First off, diapers are different than books. But the book instead of a card is a whole different arguement. I happen to love the book idea and so did all of my friends and they all participated in it and gave me books. I did the same for their shower. No one was offended, but this may different from region to region. Different story, different day.

As for diapers, a totally different price point. I would say that asking for the diaper is asking for too much.

PLUS and most importantly, unless you are having twins, people usually say wait till the baby gets here to get a bunch of diapers because you don't know how big the baby will be.

True story, my friend had a 9lb baby and didn't fit in most of the little diapers.

• imagemb1210:

We are having a diaper raffle at my shower. I put that we were registered at BRU and stated that we were having a diaper raffle if anyone was interested in participating. I didn't ask for BOTH. A lot of showers I have been to recently though, people have brought something (an outfit or ... whatever) plus, a thing of diapers. Then I put it on my registry (in the memo part) that we didn't register for diapers, but that if someone wanted to get that as our gift, that they would be greatly appreciated.

I think telling people they HAVE to bring diapers is tacky. I would bring diapers just because I know that is something that every mom can use, but some people are really into bringing certain other items.

My shower hostess did a diaper raffle too...some people participated and some didn't - it was their choice. It worked out great though.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • My BFF is throwing me a shower just for our sorority sisters, and she said that because I'm getting 2 additional showers, she was going to ask them to bring me diapers and wipes, but not include it in the invitation. She was going to let them know when she delivered the invitation that way she could add to buy the diapers size 1 or 2. Someone threw her a shower like this when she was pregnant, and she said she didn't buy diapers for at least 4 months and wipes for almost a year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not a fan for the reasons PP mentioned.  I don't like being told what to get, specifically, and I don't appreciate being asked to bring a gift in addition to the "regular" gift.  I probably don't want whatever the raffle prize is, and at almost every shower I've been to that did a diaper raffle the prize was worth no more than the pack of diapers in the first place... I just find the whole practice very.. lame.  the book thing I think is cuter because it's sentimental but I still don't love it.
  • Why should a guest have to bring/spend more in order to be included in a raffle?  Shouldn't the fact that she has brought a gift within her budget and taken the time out of her day (most likely a family Sat. afternoon) to come sit for a couple of hours to watch the mom open a bunch of gifts be sufficient for "eligibility"?  IMO, raffles are for product parties, not showers.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • Thanks everyone for your opinion. I really do not want to lose out on things because of what I suggest on my invitations. My family tends to buy a lot of clothes( all sizes). The plus about that is im having the first girl. (Three of my cousins had boys.)
  • imageD&J=Forever:
    She suggested it because of a friend she worked with, but I thought it was kind of out of place. People already have enough to worry about so im not sure if I want to use it or not.

Good instincts.  It was sweet of her to offer, but take a pass.

• I agree with all the pp, it is tacky IMO.
  • actually received an invite of a *very* casual acquaintance (not really sure why I was invited, actually) that listed a "cover price:  package of diapers" and funny enough, I had something else going on that day. :eyeroll: 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • A friend of mine did this at her shower and she got a lot of diapers. I didn't have one at mine and didn't get any. I'm doing a diaper raffle for a friend of mine at her baby shower.

I put it in the invitation. It said We are going to have a diaper raffle, so if you would like to be included please bring a package of diapers.

• I actual registered for diapers to give guests an option of buying me diapers.

However, I have herd horror stories about babies and diapers and finding ones that their little bottoms aren't sensitive too or that leaks.

My fear with a diaper raffle what do I do if the diapers I get I can't use?

But any help would be great! Everybody has their own ideas, I think a diaper raffle may be neat. How often when you go to a bridal shower are you asked to bring something for the wishing well?? Nobody is saying go out and buy a case of diapers and spend 40 bucks, on just diapers. A small pack will cost you 8-10 bucks.

As for my shower, I put in the message at BRU books are welcome for the babies first library. Books can cost anywhere from 5-20 bucks or more. So I dont think its asking to much. 

IMO asking for items as opposed to gift cards, may end up having a guest spend more then they thought. I know that if I buy actual gifts, especially for babies, always blow my budget. Whereas if I get somebody a gift card I spend only what I wanted to in the first place. 

imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
  • I have been to showers where it said "bring diapers to enter the raffle" then those guests that choose to bring the diapers got a ticket and at the end a nice gift was raffled off.

Personally, I don't like the idea and would never do it. 

• I did a diaper raffle for my sister's shower. I added a little card with the invites that said it was an option to bring them. She received diapers and wipes, and one family friend even brought a diaper cake as her present. Guests knew it was an option, and no one seemed offended by it. Some people brought only diapers as their gift. It seemed to work out for everyone. I like the idea, and I'm hoping that my sister has the same thing planned for my shower!
  • imageMrs.B6302007:
    Why should a guest have to bring/spend more in order to be included in a raffle?  Shouldn't the fact that she has brought a gift within her budget and taken the time out of her day (most likely a family Sat. afternoon) to come sit for a couple of hours to watch the mom open a bunch of gifts be sufficient for "eligibility"?  IMO, raffles are for product parties, not showers.

Agreed....and raffles just seem so gimmicky to me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I usually just buy them something off their registry and leave the raffle for someone else. If my budget is only 25 bucks or so and I buy them diapers, that doesn't leave much room to get them anything else.

I won't do it for my shower, nms but I don't get offended if I get a shower invite and they're doing a raffle.

Besides I never win those things anyway. Stick out tongue

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"