Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Too Early to Transition to 1 Nap?

My nanny has been trying to convert my 16mo to one nap a day for about a week and a half.  It does not seem to be going well as he's tired and wanting to nap around 10AM (she tries to keep him up until 11-11:30), then is only able to sleep for 1hr to 1.5hrs.  The rest of the day he's fussy and later wakes up at night, when he used to STTN.

Do you think he's not ready even though he is 16 months or should I give it some more time?  Thanks!!

Re: Too Early to Transition to 1 Nap?

• It sounds like he's not ready yet.  Is there a reason he needs to transition to one nap?  If not, I say follow his lead ... he'll let you know when he's ready. 
  • DS is 13 months old and we had to transition him because of the Montessori he attends.  He's been doing okay except on the days when he wakes up earlier than his normal 6:30 am (he's been teething lately).  He's usually able to stay awake until his nap around 11:45. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been so back and forth on this myself because DS is 20 months and still is on 2 naps. 

But just recently he's started waking at 5:30 (when he was sleeping until 6:30 or 7) - and It hink that's a sign he's ready to move to one nap.  It will be a rough couple days, but I think we're going to push for it now.

If your DS doesn't seem to be ready, dont' force it yet. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• My son is 17 months and I wish I could transition him but attempts so far haven't gone well. He does better with 2 shorter (45 min or so) naps a day. One 2 hr nap would be easier for me, but he won't sleep that long, then he's way too cranky late in the afternoon. I would just let your boy stick with 2 naps and try again in a month or so.
  • I agree- wait until there's no doubt in your mind.  DD#1 transitioned at 9 months to one.  One my twins seemed ready and I followed his "cues" but the evenings were hell, so I tried just putting him down at 10a.m. with DD and he always falls asleep quickly, even though he appears wired for play when I put them down.  My theory with my kids is if I make transitions when they take the lead, it's hardly a transition, simply a change of plans. 

I will stand by this for eating, napping, bedtime, transition to toddler beds, and potty training,  The more "trying" involved, the more you're fighting nature, the harder on all it will be!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sounds like he's not ready to me.  Definitely give it more time.  I think he will probably kind of cut to one nap on his own.  That's pretty much what DD did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"