Preemies
Options

Carseats and Carriers ?s

Alrighty I have 2 questions...sorry if I have been flooding this board...we are about to head home from the nicu and I just have sooo many ?s...I guess I'm getting nervous! 

1. I have the graco snugride carseat and I just looked up the recommended weight for the carseat...it's 5 lbs and DD is 4.3 lbs...is that okay?

2. I have the munchkin jelly bean wrap and it's recommended age/weight is 4 mos/18 lbs...and I'd really like to carry DD around the house or wherever...do you think the weight matters for it or should I get a diff one? recommendations? 

Re: Carseats and Carriers ?s

• Options

1. Our boys came home under 5lbs. in their snugrides.  As long as they pass their carseat test in it and the hospital is ok with it I think it's fine.  I do think it depends on your hospital though and some make you get a seat rated for 4lbs. and up.

2. I would not use the Jelly bean wrap with your preemie.  They can get crunched up in the laying position and close off their airway.  When she's bigger and her head is more stable then yes you could try it.  For now I'd get a Moby wrap to hold her.  That's what we used with our twins and it was perfect... I could even hold both at the same time at first. 

• Options

DD was under 5 lbs when we brought her home, and she did not pass the carseat study in her snugride on the first try. The NICU gave us literature on using folded up receiving blankets to pad her in there and she passed using this method. If she had failed a second time the hospital suggested a carbed, which you can rent.

As for the wrap, we got a moby wrap and it's usable with preemies! DD loves being in the moby.

Good luck! Congrats on getting to go home!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS came home in his snugride only weighing 3lb 13oz. Like pp said, as long as she passes her carseat test, it should be fine.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket
  • Options

1. It probably on the car seat. I had a Graco -something- probably a Snugride, and my son was 4lbs 12oz and COULD NOT be properly fit into the car seat. Since the nurse could not get him INTO the seat properly fitted, she would not even attempt the car seat test.  I had to go return the car seat, and buy one that was for a newborn under 5lbs.

2. Sorry, no advice. I used a sling with DS but I don't know what it was. :P 

- - - - Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit The Knot! image image Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    Aiden was 4lb 13oz and came home in a snugride. I am sure it will be fine!
    A small start at 2lb 9oz, 60 day NICU stay, and 6 months of O2 My 30 weeker is growing up! <a href="http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/bippy798/?action=view
  • Options

1.  DD was 5 lbs, 1 oz when she came home, but looked suuuuper teeny in the Snugride.  I don't think they would have let us leave the hospital in it if she was under 5lbs, though.

2.  Another vote for the Moby.  It's by far the best and the great thing is that it's so versatile and you can do all different kinds of holds.

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Carseat depends on the hospital. As you can see from the PP's, many have no problems bringing their LOs home under the weight limit posted on the car seat. Some hospitals (ours included) are sticklers. We had to go out and buy a Chicco Keyfit (cheapest car seat available rated for 4lbs and up instead of 5lbs) and use that until DD hit 5lbs. She came home at 3lb 14oz.

Love the Moby! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"