Baby Names

Azalea...thoughts?

Pronounced:  uh-ZEYL-yuh

My good friend named her daughter this...and I just don't know what to make of it. 

WDYT of it??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Azalea...thoughts?

• It's a plant.

It does not transfer to a name like Rose, Lily...I personally hate it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like Azalea! It's a flower, so it's not like it's made up or cre8tiv. It's more interesting than Daisy and Rose, plus comes with the cute nn Lea.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageShell24:

It's a plant.

This was my first reaction too! 

• imagerach2100:
    imageShell24:

It's a plant.

This was my first reaction too! 

Me too.

• It's not the worst of the flower names. Better than Begonia. Or Rhododendron. Or Honeysuckle.

I'm partial to Snapdragon.

• imageveganxangel:
    I like Azalea! It's a flower, so it's not like it's made up or cre8tiv. It's more interesting than Daisy and Rose, plus comes with the cute nn Lea.

That's a nice thought...but I doubt this girl will end up with a cute nn like Leah; she's currently being nn'd ...Zizi...pronounced: zee-zee.   Tongue Tied 

• imageplunderb:

I'm partial to Snapdragon.

OMG...that made me LOL!!  

• imagerach2100:

imageveganxangel:
    I like Azalea! It's a flower, so it's not like it's made up or cre8tiv. It's more interesting than Daisy and Rose, plus comes with the cute nn Lea.

That's a nice thought...but I doubt this girl will end up with a cute nn like Leah; she's currently being nn'd ...Zizi...pronounced: zee-zee.   Tongue Tied 

Oof. Now THAT is awful. 

• It's a little out there but... I don't really mind it.
  • I actually really like Zizi as a nickname. Much more original than Lea. Also reminds me of Zuzu from It's a Wonderful Life (I think her name was really Suzanne.)

Azalea wouldn't be my first choice for a flower name (Rose, Lily, Violet, Lavender, Jasmine, etc.) but it's way better than Pansy. 

Also, I've decided MY daughter's name WILL be Snapdragon. 

• I like it. I probably wouldn't use it myself, but it reminds me of the flower, of course, which to me is a good thing. It's unique without being made-up and feminine without being too frilly. And I think the NN Zizi is super cute for a little girl!
  • My initial reaction was horror. Then I thought that maybe I could get used to it. Would I use it for my daughter? No way! But it could grow on me if I knew a little Azalea.
  • This less-common flower name is going to get only slightly more popular in the coming years. Personally, I wouldn't use it, but if someone was looking for lesser-known nature name, this would probably fit the bill.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/azalea

Points for having it spelled right. Stick out tongue

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Honestly? I have been pushing this one on my DH but he won't budge, it's been a guilty pleasure name since jr. high, I love thats its different, but DH would never go for it.

• We're naming our little girl Azalea, I knew an Aussie with that name when I was in college and I loved it. Her NN is Azzie. Also, there's a really cute Louis Armstrong song called Azalea, about a girl he fell in love with :)
  • Is she Catholic? That is the name of St. Therese's mother (she is currently in the process of becoming a saint herself)...and she was called Zellie. It think it is cute!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"