Natural Birth
Options

Induction conversation with NICU nurse

It's odd lately I feel like I have been so blessed with having these birth professionals come into my life in a casual/personal way... allowing me to talk with them about their experiences in the field.  It's funny because I don't really get to meet lots of new people- so the fact that I met a LC and two different NICU nurses in the month since my daughter's birth is kind of cool.

Anyway- the LC had told me that she felt that a lot of BF difficulty we hear about women struggling with was caused by babies who were technically "full term" but who we born before THEY were ready with an induction- and that tiny difference can be the difference between a baby who readily nurses and one who just can't get it organized.

so I asked the NICU nurse about her experience and observations with inductions- which she said were getting frighteningly common and misused.  She said they'd done an *informal* survey over the course of a year- kept track of all the elective inductions that were done for either the mother or the doctor's convenience- and she said that they were shocked by the results- 25% of the babies (and she said it seemed more likely the boy babies) born through those elective inductions wound up in the NICU. Since they became aware of that, the hospital has been trying to reduce the # of elective inductions done.

Re: Induction conversation with NICU nurse

• Options
    Wow, that is crazy! I'm glad that they've noticed the trend and are working on solutions.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Interesting.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    one of my biggest fears is being induced. all the information i'm gathering says that the baby will come out (and much easier) when it's ready & when your body works together with him/her. i also found out that the average pregnancy really lasts 41w1d, which makes me wonder how many women who were induced at 41w would have gone on their own in the next few days.
  • Options

Yeah, I just don't understand it... I think I'm venting here.  But unless you're charting and KNOW the date of conception, due dates can be 2 weeks off because they are all made on the assumption that everyone ovulates on day 14 which just isn't true at all!  But yet, when that 39-40 weeks comes up, everyone is all about getting it OUT!  I think that usually the risks of induction outweigh the risks that are usually associated with "overdue" babies, such as loss of fluid, meconium, etc.

Vent over. 

Lilypie - (YBLf)

Lilypie - (Cfah)
    image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"">
  • Options

That is very interesting, and I can see a lot of pieces of the puzzles of the past kind of fall into place with those observations.

BTW, a hospital that I attended many women at up in Michigan had a 78% induction rate for first-time moms... can you believe that?!?

• Options
    imageSageBeginnings:

BTW, a hospital that I attended many women at up in Michigan had a 78% induction rate for first-time moms... can you believe that?!?

That is just tragic!  

• Options
    It's a good thing the medical profession is finally realizing that non medical inductions are not good!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's also not uncommon for people with longer cycles (like mine) that they carry babies for a little longer. They are more likely to go to 41-42 weeks than deliver at 39-40 weeks.
  • Options
    imagecarpozi:

Yeah, I just don't understand it... I think I'm venting here.  But unless you're charting and KNOW the date of conception, due dates can be 2 weeks off because they are all made on the assumption that everyone ovulates on day 14 which just isn't true at all! 

Well, just to be clear here, if you have an ultrasound done fairly early (for example, at around 8 weeks), they are usually pretty accurate as far as dating. If you don't get one until 20 weeks then yes, it is based on some assumptions about cycles that are not always true. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"