Indiana Babies

Introducing the potty

When did you introduce the potty wth your LO? I have heard from friends that they bought the seat around 14-16mos just to let them see it and know it was there. They did not start potty training until 18-20mos. I was wondering if we should buy a seat so they can see it and be familiar with it, or should I wait?

Re: Introducing the potty

• We bought one at 15 mos.  She is very used it it and knows what it's for.  She is starting to put the sensation of having to go with getting there, but we have yet to get her to go in it or the toilet.  If I had a stretch of days where she could be diaper free all day I'd try a bit harder towards PTing. 

• We bought a seat about a month ago and Mads has started telling us that she wants to go.  Kind of sucks because daycare won't start potty training until 2, no exceptions, so I'm struggling with how to keep her from being confused.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Haley wasn't anywhere near ready until right around 2.  So - that's when we bought the seat and started getting her used to seeing it.  She started wanting to use it pretty quickly after we bought the seat.  It took her a few months to figure out the connection between the seat and the sensation of needing to potty, but once she realized what she needed to do, it was the easiest thing in the world!  She's almost completely potty-trained now, we just need to get her used to wearing panties and not pull-ups. 

One thing my sister and a few friends have told me is to let the child lead you.  My friends that tried potty training too early on their children saw a huge setback and it ended up taking longer to PT.  I would buy the seat and see what the boys think and go from there.  If they have no interest, then put it away for a few weeks, then try again.  They'll definitely let you know when they're ready!

• imageindybride4.8.06:

Haley wasn't anywhere near ready until right around 2.  So - that's when we bought the seat and started getting her used to seeing it.  She started wanting to use it pretty quickly after we bought the seat.  It took her a few months to figure out the connection between the seat and the sensation of needing to potty, but once she realized what she needed to do, it was the easiest thing in the world!  She's almost completely potty-trained now, we just need to get her used to wearing panties and not pull-ups. 

One thing my sister and a few friends have told me is to let the child lead you.  My friends that tried potty training too early on their children saw a huge setback and it ended up taking longer to PT.  I would buy the seat and see what the boys think and go from there.  If they have no interest, then put it away for a few weeks, then try again.  They'll definitely let you know when they're ready!

I agree. I plan on following their lead and have no expectation to even try the whole PT thing until they are atleast 18mos old.

• I bought a potty seat when DD was 17 months. She may have sat on it a few times, but didn't go, no big deal. We didn't push it.

First time she peed in the potty? 34 months.

Now she's about to turn 3, is out of diapers/pullups, stays dry all day, and stays dry at night about 3 nights out of 4.

She doesn't use the little potty anymore, but it was nice to have it so she could transition (sitting way up there on the big toilet seemed to intimidate her for a while). And now we keep the little one in the back of the car for long trips. Did we really need it at 17 months? No, probably not. We could have waited till she was about 2.5. But every kid is different, and yours might be interested earlier.

• imagefishy22:

She doesn't use the little potty anymore, but it was nice to have it so she could transition (sitting way up there on the big toilet seemed to intimidate her for a while). And now we keep the little one in the back of the car for long trips. Did we really need it at 17 months? No, probably not. We could have waited till she was about 2.5. But every kid is different, and yours might be interested earlier.

I totally agree with this statement.  It's amazing the variability in ages when it comes to potty training.  My nephew was 3.5, but Haley's almost completely PT at 2.5.  I have a friend whose kids were out of diapers completely at 2.  Just crazy the differences between kids.

• imageindybride4.8.06:
    imagefishy22:

I totally agree with this statement.  It's amazing the variability in ages when it comes to potty training.  My nephew was 3.5, but Haley's almost completely PT at 2.5.  I have a friend whose kids were out of diapers completely at 2.  Just crazy the differences between kids.

When I met Jordan, he just turned 2 and was in pull ups. He was fully PT at 26 mos. My friend had her LO PT before 2. I think Jalen will be easier than Landon since he will bring me a diaper everytime he poops. :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"