Breastfeeding

Lurker in third tri with a question! TIA

Hello! I will hopefully be joining you ladies in about 10 weeks, but wanted some advice on a particular product from you.  I've recently discovered The First Years Breast to Bottle Nipples.  ( I will HOPEFULLY!! be breastfeeding most of the time, but work 3 days of 8 hour shifts a week, so she'll need to use a bottle, as well).  These nipples look amazing, like they've really looked into the best kind of materials and shapes to make it easy to transition baby back and forth from the breast.  I plan on using Soothie pacifiers made by The First Years if we have to use a pacifier down the line.

Does anyone have experience with these or have heard anything bad about them? The only con I see is that they look like they only fit The First Years bottles and may be too wide to use in any other type of bottles, and I haven't heard anything about the actual bottles.  Also, I'm discovering it's very hard to find these nipples in BRU or other stores.  I don't mind them being more difficult to wash or anything, because hopefully she won't be feeding from a bottle too much. 

Thank you so much for any input in advance, I realize I'm just lurking here, and I appreciate you letting me!

Re: Lurker in third tri with a question! TIA

• No experience with these.  I use Playtex Ventaire bottles with the wide, slow flow nipples since going back to work almost 2 months ago.  He has done fine switching back and forth, it just took a week or two to get him used to it but nothing too challenging.  I will continue to use slow flow nipples as long as I am breastfeeding (hopefully for a year!)  I work 3 12-hr shifts per week and pump 3-4 times per shift.
  • I haven't tried that particular kind.  Many of my friends put a ton of research into which bottles to buy... only to have the baby refuse it!  I would only get one or two bottles and buy more once you know your baby will accept it.  FWIW, we tried a breast-shaped Nuk bottle, but DD hated it.  She did take the Dr. Brown's type which has a more classic nipple.  She didn't seem to have any nipple confusion.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter was very particular about which bottle she would use.  The Adiri bottles are suppose to be the "best" for breastfed babies but my daughter hated them.  So just be careful some babies are particular before you spend a fortune in bottles. 

Also for the pacifier, they give Soothies in the hospital but do your research on them for use beyond the first couple of weeks.  Orthodonically speaking they are the worst thing you can do for your child's mouth.  I read about how horrible they were before I gave birth so I refused to let the hospital give my LO the Soothies.  My new next door neighbor is an orthodonist and just told me about a two year old that used a Soothies until she was a year and by the time she was 2 it had caused so much damage he didn't think surgery could even repair the damage.  That is why other pacis will say "orthodonic".

• Luckily, Evie took every type of bottle and nipple that we tried but my favorite was by far Born Free. She has less gas and burps with them then when she nurses. I tried 4 other brands before I found them. LOVE them. And so does Everly.
  • Different babies prefer different bottles and nipples. I wouldn't settle with one type right now. I'd buy a few different kinds and see what your LO likes. Also, my DS hates the Soothie pacfiers, so your LO might also be particular about what shape of paci nipple  he or she likes. You might want to consider buying a few different kinds of pacis
  • imagetvg1977:
    No experience with these.  I use Playtex Ventaire bottles with the wide, slow flow nipples since going back to work almost 2 months ago.  He has done fine switching back and forth, it just took a week or two to get him used to it but nothing too challenging.  I will continue to use slow flow nipples as long as I am breastfeeding (hopefully for a year!)  I work 3 12-hr shifts per week and pump 3-4 times per shift.

This!  I've used these since week 1 when I had to supplement with formula.  DD never had any confusion with the bottle, nipple, and then paci which I introduced at about 3 weeks.

I have the First Years pump which came with a few nipples for the bottles but I never used them since I like the Playtex ones so much.

• Thanks for all your advice!! I know every baby's different, but I was worried about the nipples collapsing, like some of the customer reviews on BRU website said.  I guess I'll only buy a few for now and see how they work out!! Thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"