Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Play kitchen or train set?

DD is turning 3 next month, and I'm trying to decide what to get her for her birthday. She loves to play with her baby doll - get her food, tuck her in, etc. so I thought a play kitchen would be good. But she also really likes to play with the train sets they have in doctors' offices or places like that. I found a good one at Toys R Us, for a reasonable price. DH wants the train set, I'm leaning toward the kitchen! Which one do you think will get more use, and for the longer period of time??

Also, I should add that while the kitchen would be able to stay in her playroom on our main floor of the house, the train table would have to go in our attic playroom, and she may not use it as much up there. I'm not trying to sway your decision, though!! Wink

Re: Play kitchen or train set?

• Options
    why not both.       You don't need a train table.   DS has a small train set and he loves building it on the floor.    Get a small train set that just makes a basic figure 8 shape(I remember seeing one at Target for around 20 bucks), let her build it on the floor ,and then get a play kitchen for her playroom   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have both and DD plays with her train set more.  But we do not have a table.  We store her tracks/trains in a bin and we set up a new layout every time she wants to play which I think is a big reason she plays with it so much... it's always a new setup.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DD is the same -- she loves playing with train sets at toy stores. But we got her a kitchen for her second birthday, and she loves it.

If you'd have to put the train table in the attic, I think getting a small train set along with a kitchen is a good alternative.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • Options

I vote for the kitchen. ALL 3 of my kids play with the kitchen every day. We have trucks and trains (no train set until this christmas) but they don't get as much use.

GL!

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    kitchen.... by far, the kitchen.  we have both,  both dc play with the kitchen a lot.  ds plays with the train tracks a lot.  his tracks are a figure eight set with 3 cars and the little trees and street signs and whatnot.  my mom bought it for him ... it's granimals brand ? he loves to pull it out and make it run on the floor in fun ways. but he doesn't pull it out every day... but I guarantee they both play with the kitchen every day.  and just the fact that it would be more accessible.  I vote kitchen.  maybe suggest the train set to a GP or save it for a holiday. 
  • Options
    We have both and DD plays with the kitchen much more.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have both and the kids play with the kitchen much, much more.
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Options
    I'm in the minority on this one, but I say train!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"